Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 AM

11 posts, read 53,364 times

Advertisements

Our family (kids are elementary school age) are relocating Utah. My husband will be working in northern Davis county, but we'd like to live on the east bench near the mountains. We're non-LDS. We've driven through Layton, Kayesville, South Weber City, Fruit Heights, Farmington, Centerville and on down to SLC (farther than we'd like). Any opinions on these places would be great as well.

He's going out for a couple of days (solo) to check out Ogden. I've heard such conflicting opinions, but we haven't actually been there. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. What's the difference in South Ogden vs. North Ogden. I'm specifically interested in schools, good neighborhoods, good local restaurants, biking, hiking and being able to walk around town. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Default No one?

Seriously... no one wants to weigh-in on this one?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,650 times
Did you try posting on the main Utah forum? Though this should certainly be the place for Ogden-related posts, perhaps you'll find answers on the Utah forum. As for me, I've only ventured north of Davis County a few times so I wouldn't know much about the area.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM

203 posts, read 720,539 times
South ogden is the absolute anus of utah. Complete and utter hell hole, compared to the rest of the state. The Glendale area of SLC is the only place that compares with S. Ogden on the crap-o-meter.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 PM

27 posts, read 105,995 times
We're moving from Davis County to South Ogden. We've lived here for 10 years and would never consider leaving this place we love to move to a "hell hole". How offensive.

You will find much more diversity in Ogden. If you love the outdoors-y stuff then you'll love it there. Schools, in my opinion, aren't as good as in Davis County but we're willing to take that risk. I've met with school officials, walked the halls, etc and just like anywhere there are the good and the bad.

Ogden is cleaning up. It's had a bad reputation but the people who live there love it, there are major revitalization projects going on, we LOVE the childrens' museum, the great restaurants on Historic 25th street, sports/concerts/theater at Weber State University, etc. It's crime rate is higher than many places in Utah but still incredibly low on a national average. There are just places you want to be (north or south) and places to not hang out in at night (central). Welcome and good luck!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
I've lived in both Ogden and in Davis County most of my life. There are pluses to living in both places. I think someone who is non-LDS might find the Ogden area more to there liking in terms of diversity. There are more non-LDS people there.

However, Davis County--particularly the eastbench--is a more physically attractive place to live and its closer to Salt Lake. Real estate prices are definitely higher in Davis County and even with the recession going on, I doubt you will find many real bargains.

I live in Davis County and have for over 20 years now. It used to be that you had to travel to either Ogden or Salt Lake to shop or go out to eat. No more. Layton is full of restaurants, movie theaters, and stores.

Take your pick. I prefer the East Layton/Fruit Heights area as a place to live.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Under your circumstances I would highly recommend you consider Layton. Better schools and a LOT safer place to live overall. Don't bother with Ogden proper, you'll probably regret it....

Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the great advice! We've found a place in East Layton, almost Kaysville that we love and are very excited about the move. We're really looking forward to life in Utah!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Ahhh East Layton. If its close to the mountain NO doubt about it that should do you just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area