U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM

5,683 posts, read 12,412,350 times

Advertisements

Look guys, those of you who live here ....
every year when we get a little bit of snow, most everybody behaves like it is the first time they drive on snow covered roads.
Very few slow down, but then, I see the same stupid behavior in wet weather.

If you plan to live here for more than a year, and I assume that most of the readers have lived here for quite a while, when do you get to use your brains and get some decent winter tires ?????

All the cars in my household have two sets of tires, summer and winter tires on two sets of wheels. We NEVER have any problems, and my driveway is pretty steep to boot !!! We do NOT have four wheelers that *proudly* states it is an Off Road version.
Personally, I think that 99% of all the Off Road Cars only go Off Road when the owner puts it in his garage ...

There is a huge difference between all weather, and *true* winter tires.
The biggest difference is the hardness of the rubber. Winter tires have a much softer rubber and a different thread pattern, so they can get a better grip on snowy covered roads. Since they are softer, they should be taken off your car as soon as there is no more chance for snow.
All weather tires are a funny thing here in the USA. In Europe, we only have summer and winter tires, no such thing as *all weather* which is greatly misleading the general population who does not seem to know the difference. Then to even confuse you even more, there are M+S tires which are just another version of all weather. Even though M+S is supposed to mean Mud and Snow, they are NO good in snow.

So wake up and put the right kind of tires under your car.

Last but not least, would you please slow down and be a bit more considerate about the other drivers out there. Stop being a nuisance.

I used to drive daily from Salt Lake to Ogden, but when it snowed, it was like driving down a lighted runway, with all those dumb drivers with their four wheelers all in the median or on the side of the roads with their lights on !!

Aw what the heck, ranting does not help in Utah, and some comedian has figured out that you really can not fix *stupid or dumb*.
Sad thing is that those people who I am ranting about are not reading this post ....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,502,356 times
I would add one other thing - I NEVER use the interstates in the snow. I just don't trust those other drivers. State Street gets me from one end of town to the other and 2100 South from one side to the other. I don't even like the interstates in the rain. It rains here so rarely that people really don't know how to drive in it.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 AM

200 posts, read 932,313 times
Drivers are idiots in Utah, especially in snow. The idiots in their big Ram, Ford trucks will go 30-40 in 6 inches of snow, brake suddenly and crash into light/telephone poles, I saw this happen 4 times this weekend. Kids in their Pontiacs or Subarus, having to go 55 down State, and brake quickly, swerve dangerously near my car.

For all the drivers out there.
If you don't have money to get snow tires, a better car, please get some sense. Go slow during the winter, even if there isn't snow on the roads, there might be ice! Brake ahead of time, pull over if you start to freak out, etc...
Use your brain, that's the best advice I can give anyone.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:17 PM

The noon news reported 220 accidnets over the weekend just in SL county and another 70 in Utah co. They said the majority of them were due to people driving too fast for the conditions.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM

200 posts, read 932,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The noon news reported 220 accidnets over the weekend just in SL county and another 70 in Utah co. They said the majority of them were due to people driving too fast for the conditions.
People are idiots!!!!! They don't realize getting wherever they're going faster might cost them their lives or other people's lives.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 AM

396 posts, read 1,210,205 times
People usually forget how to drive in snow over the summer. They'll get better as winter goes on.

But another thing I'd like to point out is all of the California transplants that we have. Many of them had never driven in snow before they moved here and most of them never learn! In my experience, native Utahns drive BETTER in the snow than they do in normal weather.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM

546 posts, read 2,073,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP525 View Post
Spend the money and get some proper snow tires.
In your opinion, what tire brand is the best for snow tires?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM

5,683 posts, read 12,412,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
In your opinion, what tire brand is the best for snow tires?
Uhmm .... what does chocolate taste like ????

when it comes to buying anything, you must consider the factors that make up what is at least good enough for you personally.
For winter tires:
1 - Are they quiet on regular roads ?
2 - What is the warranty on the life of the tires.
--- You must take into account that almost all tires
--- loose their whatever capabilities, after about 5 or 6 years,
--- especially in climates where there is a lot of sunshine.
3 - What is written up in several magazines or even on the internet,
--- about the comparison of several brands of winter tires ?
4 - what is price range you can easily afford ?

Find the brand(s) you like, taking all those factors into account,
ask here about what some posters may have in experience with that particular brand.
Then go from there.

One more piece of advice:
Depending on how many years you will live in *snow country*.
make a comparison of what it cost to mount and dismount the tires on your *Original* rims,
and what it would cost if you would also invest in snow wheels.
I have mine mounted on *ugly* snow wheels.
Tire changes are free for me, and when I bring a couple of dozen doughnuts in,
I even get a free wheel balance ... Guess what I do each year ...
BTW, my *snow wheels* are 15 years old.
I make sure that the next car I buy has the same tire size,
and the same bolt pattern.
The snow wheels I have, happen to have two bolt patterns on it.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:31 PM

Perhaps checking Consumer Reports online or in the library will help you select a tire brand.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:08 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,163,230 times
Yes, there are idiot drivers here, just like everywhere else. Yes there are those "California transplants" that don't bother to learn to drive in the snow, just like there are those that do actualy value their vehicles and make a very pointed effort to learn to handle it in bad weather. You say tomato...I say tomato....
Regardless, this morning when the weather was bad, and the road where piles of muck all over, I witnessed more acts of road courtesy, and patience than at any other time.
Everyone was dealing with the same conditions, regardles of their vehicle type, or tire type, and pace was a slow crawl....30mph on the I15 north....and yet there was people letting others merge, the mergers waiting their turn, everyone keeping a safe distance from others. Simple common courtesty.
Today on the road, I only saw the best of Utahs' drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area