U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM

204 posts, read 682,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I do have a heavier car so maybe that's the difference.
After driving a geo metro for two winters in SLC, i can tell you that the weight or size of your car has no bearing on things. My other car is an All wheel drive galant, and while it gets around better in the snow, it's really not that much different. You're only as good as your stopping power on snow and ice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,468,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
Regardless, this morning when the weather was bad, and the road where piles of muck all over, I witnessed more acts of road courtesy, and patience than at any other time.
Everyone was dealing with the same conditions, regardles of their vehicle type, or tire type, and pace was a slow crawl....30mph on the I15 north....and yet there was people letting others merge, the mergers waiting their turn, everyone keeping a safe distance from others. Simple common courtesty.
Today on the road, I only saw the best of Utahs' drivers.
I was out this morning while it was snowing. Most people on 2100 S and 700 E were going about 20-25 mph, following each other at a reasonable distance in the right-hand lane. Amazing - we did good!

Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM

273 posts, read 1,186,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
In your opinion, what tire brand is the best for snow tires?
I have had several different brands over the years and have found out they all work so much better than regular tires it doesn't really matter what brand you have. There may be slight differences between them, some may work better on ice, others do better in snow or dry roads, etc. The size (especially width) of the tire may alter how it works also so comparing one brand to another is difficult. Consumer Reports says the same thing. But most reports I have read claim Michelin X-Ice tires are the best, although pretty expensive. Nokkian Hakkapellitas are VERY expensive but don't do very well in tests. I have had two sets of Dunlop Graspics that do well. Last year I had a set of Hankook W300 Icebears. They were relatively inexpensive for the car I had then and I was quite impressed with them. I got them at Discount Tire.

Like another poster stated, you can buy separate wheels for them which eliminates the need to spend $50+ twice a year to change them over. If you are going to have the same car and tires for awhile this is the most economical, especially if you go with plain black steel wheels. Both of my current cars have two complete sets of wheels and tires, but I have also just swapped tires out in the past. If you want to buy a complete set of wheels and tires, check out tirerack.com. They have pretty good prices.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM

396 posts, read 1,209,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
Yes, there are idiot drivers here, just like everywhere else. Yes there are those "California transplants" that don't bother to learn to drive in the snow, just like there are those that do actualy value their vehicles and make a very pointed effort to learn to handle it in bad weather. You say tomato...I say tomato....
Regardless, this morning when the weather was bad, and the road where piles of muck all over, I witnessed more acts of road courtesy, and patience than at any other time.
Everyone was dealing with the same conditions, regardles of their vehicle type, or tire type, and pace was a slow crawl....30mph on the I15 north....and yet there was people letting others merge, the mergers waiting their turn, everyone keeping a safe distance from others. Simple common courtesty.
Today on the road, I only saw the best of Utahs' drivers.
Like I said, most native Utahns drive better in the snow. Haha.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 PM

242 posts, read 799,428 times
If the snow is really freaking you out, try not to go anywhere. I find that if you're really stressed out about the weather it can affect your driving and your judgment which can lead to a bunch of problems. Also, as others have said - slow down! There is no reason to go so fast in less than good conditions. You're just asking for trouble if you do.

I've never put snow tires on my car. Never saw a need to. I've never been stuck in the snow and if I get into snow that is too deep, then I get out and push my car myself. I have a Toyota Corolla and it handles beautifully in the snow. If you feel that your car is too light and slides around to much you can always put sand bags in the trunk. I did that with my Ford Ranger and it helped me.

I drove down Parleys on Thursday morning just as it was starting to snow and I didn't have a problem. It was a bit nerve wracking because everyone was zooming past me at 60+ miles an hour. I just kept to the far right lane and went the speed that I was comfortable with. Be sure to leave early to give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination in case you run into problems. Being familiar with alternate routes helps as well in case your original route shuts down due to accidents or other problems.

Take a deep breath and go, you'll be fine. Just slow down and take it easy.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:47 PM

19,859 posts, read 61,468,149 times
Default Another Storm, Bad Commute in the Morning

Stay off the interstates and freeways so you're not out there with all the idiots who think their 4WD vehicles can't slide or spin out. Use State St. to get from one end of the valley to the other and use cross streets like 4500 S, 3900 S, 3300S, 2100 S, 900 S to get from one side of the valley to the other! Get in the right-hand lane and stay there - go 10 mph if it makes you feel safe, you will hav e plenty of company at that speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area