Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 AM

60 posts, read 273,966 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about moving from LA to Salt Lake City and I was curious about how the hospitals are and what the wages are like. I make $49/hr as a labor and delivery nurse here. I know I won't be making anything near this amount in SLC, but I've seen nursing jobs online only paying about $25/hr in SLC. Is this right?? How much can a nurse with 6 years experience expect to make? Is there a big difference in wage and work environment between hospitals? I would also consider starting off with a traveling nurse position because they get paid more and I could work somewhere before committing full-time, but I wouldn't want to do that forever. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
IMC now has LDS' Hospital's magnet nursing certificate. Not sure about the U.Alta View does a lot of L&D, some call it the "baby hospital" b/c it's close to Sandy and the growing family section of town. Can't help you about salary, IHC just announced no more company contributions ot 401K b/c of economy. Look online at Intermountain Healthcare to see open jobs. Traveling within the city, well, it's pread out all over - you could be miles away from day to day.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:53 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out. I can't imagine the driving being too bad compared to here in LA. 20 minutes would sound good to me! Do you know if LDS have certain beliefs, practices, or preferences around childbirth? Thanks!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 AM

Umm, not that I know of. WHile the hospital was started by the church, in the 70s? it was spun off into Intermountain Healthcare. The original hospital kept the historical name of LDS Hosp. While there is a strong culture of LDS at the top, it's not like a Catholic hospital where you might not get an abortion. I worked for them at one point. Patient care is the same as anywhere else.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Lightbulb Deliveries - 24/7 at Many Hospitals in SL County

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt99 View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. I can't imagine the driving being too bad compared to here in LA. 20 minutes would sound good to me! Do you know if LDS have certain beliefs, practices, or preferences around childbirth? Thanks!
nickyt99,

I'm not positive of what you may be asking, but perhaps it is something similar to those who refuse blood transfusions or blood products. In that aspect, those who are in the LDS faith don't have restrictions. Like most religions, in times of crisis or childbirth (especially high risk), special prayers/ blessings etc. are given. It is really no different than certain practices in the Catholic church lighting a candle etc., except the blessings occur in the patient's room.

I hope that helps.

Let me also clarify that Intermountain Health Care (IHC) has LDS hospital in the avenues. They opened Intermountain Medical Center, to be their flagship facility, in Murray last year. There are many reasons why. PM if you want more info.

Just to be clear, LDS Avenue on 8th Ave. in Salt Lake City isn't run by the LDS Church or limited to patients who are LDS. There is often confusion, especially about LDS Hospital.

If you really want OB - check out Utah Valley Hospital in Provo. IMC and LDS are splitting the deliveries which use to be done at one building. So Utah Valley is the stand alone huge delivery center.

However, both IMC and LDS Hospitals have active OB services! IMC has two floors! Riverton Hospital, when it opens, will impact Alta View some, but not IMC. The high risks go to IMC and LDS, not Alta nor will they go to Riverton.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Besides IHC (Intermountain Healthcare) check the other health sytems in Utah about salaries:

www.isasis.com (Jordan Valley Medical Center has more L and D rooms than Alta View) and has just added another 100 rooms. So it is about 200 beds, with about 40 beds being devoted to L and D at the Jordan Valley Medical Center Campus. The Jordan Valley Medical Center has two campuses, which will confuse many. Two hospitals fairly close together came under the Admin etc. of JVMC instead of remaining totally separate. It allowed Iasis to focus certain specialty centers at each campus. The two hospital of Jordan Valley Medical Center are Jordan Valley and Pioneer Valley. Pioneer Valley is the one that has been reduced in some services for now, but still does OB. Anyway, that website is: Welcome to www.jordanvalleymedicalcenter.com.

From JVH, you can get the websites of both Salt Lake Regional Medical Center and the Davis County Hospital (between Salt Lake City and north to Ogden). Davis Medical Center and Jordan Valley Medical Center are the two big OB centers for Iasis in UT. You can read about their hundreds of millions of expansion dollars from the links I gave you.

Also, HCA has hospitals in Salt Lake and Utah. The BIG OB center is at St. Mark's Medical Center on 3900 South. You can read about St. Mark's and sisters hospitals in UT and ID at MountainStar Healthcare - Home Page.

Then, as already mentioned, there is the Univeristy of Utah Health Sciences Hospital. OB is a very, very active service. MFM is very active in UT with the MFM's covering all the big hospitals in UT.

Here is the link: University Health Care University Health Care (http://healthcare.utah.edu/index.cfm - broken link)

I hope some of this info helps. I don't know about specific salaries. You would need to contact the facility, given those that are expanding and your level of experience.

OB Nursing is secure in UT. Only the HR Depts. know what positions are currently open and the pay. But, you should be able to reach the HR Depts. from the links I've given you.

When in doubt, think south valley in Salt Lake County is where 3 of the hospitals with the most deliveries are. University Hospital just announced in the last two weeks they plan to build a second University Hospital (at least a clinical facility) within the next 5 years essentially in the Herriman area (southwest corner of Salt Lake County).

Good luck in finding the right answers for you.

MSR

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM

To the OP, if you are thinking about the old-time Catholic hospitals where the baby was given priority over saving the mother's life, then no it isn't like that here. In that sense, the LDS beliefs are just like any other mainstream Christain group.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 AM

Mtn. States Resident - Thank you so much for the detailed information. It sounds like there are a lot of babies born there in SLC! I will save your message in case we do decide to move.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 AM

SouthernBelleIn Utah - I have worked in more than one Catholic hospital and in different coutries, and have never heard of the baby's life being given priority over the mothers. I have never even heard of a situation where that would be an issue (maybe back in the day) but if in the rare case it might happen, it would actually be the mother's life that is proirity.

I guess I was thinking of something like Scientology practices where they want a quiet birth.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Talking Yes, High # of Births in Salt Lake and Utah Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyt99 View Post
Mtn. States Resident - Thank you so much for the detailed information. It sounds like there are a lot of babies born there in SLC! I will save your message in case we do decide to move.
nickyt99,

You are welcome. Yes, there are a lot of babies born in Salt Lake and Utah Counties annually, and Utah doesn't even have the Duggars. Utah County is where Utah Valley Hospital is, along with 4 others. Utah County is the home to BYU.

The high number of births is one reason the MFM program is so good. The MFMs from UT are teaching procedures in high risk pregnancies for one healthcare chain to MFMs in several other states.

Your Scientology example is a good one to raise. I'll ask some people. Many OBs in UT have relocated from other areas, including L.A. and are probably familiar with several requests some of us haven't thought of to date. I've personally never heard of that request at any Salt Lake County hospital; however, that doesn't mean it hasn't occurred.

Most likely any requests for Scientology practices would be referred to the U. of Utah Health Sciences Center.

I know people at each major healthcare organization who are connected to OB services. Please feel free to send me a DM if I can be of further help.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the $ for OB nursing. Probably, it partially depends on experience, shifts and differentials and acuity of the facility.

Have a happy holiday season and be sure to visit the various facilities in UT to determine if any feel right to you before you move. Good luck with your decision.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-21-2008 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Lightbulb Oops, Different URL

nickyt99,

I just checked and it appears I gave you the wrong link for Jordan Valley Medical Center (their website address has changed). Sorry. The correct link is: Jordan Valley Medical Center.

Also, the link to Davis Hospital and MC in Davis County (north of Salt Lake County, but the other Iasis hospital with many deliveries) is:
Davis Hospital & Medical Center.

Sorry for my goof

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area