Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 21,871 times

Advertisements

I'm from south Denver area and hear rumours of my company wanting me in SLC. I've been studying the area a little and trying to get a feel for real estate prices in SLC area. I'm noticing huge price differences (well below $200k in some areas, well above $200k in others). I've read that it has alot to do with the smog line, that homes are way cheaper below (?) 5000 feet. Is this true? I know the mountains are more expensive obviously.

I'm trying to get a visual idea on a map of where value priced areas are and where the more expensive areas lay. Can someone real familiar with the area help me get a feel for where these areas are (ie. average price of homes in SLC above and below 5000 feet or some rule of thumb like that if there is one).

I was shocked at the price differences in the city, it seemed like the prices were a typo but I keep seeing these relatively cheaper prices in certain areas of Salt Lake.

Is there good value real estate out of the smog?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
I've not heard that one. It typically is more associated with area/town in general and not delineated so much by a "smog line". There are many areas in the expensive parts of Sandy and Draper for example, that ARE in the smog when it's here. However it is certainly true that the higher up the bench you go (Sandy, Draper, Herriman) the higher the prices are. And of course you ARE out of the smog most if not all of the time. Suncrest is the highest of the areas currently as they are literally on top of the South Mountain area, so there indeed you will be OUT of the smog regardless of how bad it gets. You'll pay dearly for it also. I would say if you want a house in those nicer areas mentioned plan on $300+. I'll be very surprised to hear anyone respond otherwise, or prove it can be had, as even with this current depressed economy unless you're finding a forclosure home it's not likely you'll get one in those areas for much if any less. Again in the valley yes, it can be had. I'll get jumped on for saying this, but frankly if you want the cream of the crop areas, stick to Upper Millcreek/Olympus Hills, the south end of Sandy preferrably EAST end of it, as well as Draper or South Jordan and Herriman. Otherwise it's kind of dicey at best. Others will likely chime in supporting their communities, but that's just the cold hard facts I've stated. If you want do a "crime statistics" study and this will bear out my choices very quickly. You can't argue with that

Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
SUncrest is sliding off the mountain - search the archives of the www.SLTRIB.com articles for info. They also can't get the city to plow some streets I thionk, due to being too narrow or too steep. Or is that the place across the lake? Anyway, Suncrest developers went into bankruptcy last year.

There are places in SLC, like the upper Avenues, Emigration Canyon, and some of the Foothills area that are mostly above the inversion but to be sure of it, you need to look in Park City. Which is very expensive.

Not sure where your job location will be but you don't want a commute of 45 min or so. Figure that out first and then tell us!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
I just bought a house on the Herriman bench, that is about a thousand feet above the airport elevation. I hope the area will be above the smog line. We should get a test this weekend, when inversions build. By the way, this is a brand new never-lived in house that the builder was despirate to unload. I paid $290k for it, and plan to spend about $50k more to finish the basement and yard. A year ago it would have been about $450k. There are deals out there if you look.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:45 PM

Hey CoolCats....looks like you're a neighbor of mine. I'm just off Juniper Crest and Rosecrest Rd. We find typically in most inversions we are looking down upon them, so I don't think you'll find it troublesome where you're at. That extra 800-1000ft elevation makes a heck of a difference. Although you'll want a good snowblower as well. We get several more inches of snow each time it snows up by me. Also a rather consistent breeze, which is great in the summer. We sit out on our back deck overlooking the yard and enjoy the view of the entire valley below. We can see downtown like a bird must. The sunsets are pretty dramatic as well. Here's a shot of Lone Peak I took from my front yard on a clear day.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Great news. I’ll be living at the very top of Emmeline Dr. I think Rosecrest Rd. is just a few houses down. I could have never afforded the area a year or two ago, but I can now. I like snow, so good for me. Any other pluses or minuses about the area? I was looking at the reservoir / lake they are building. Looks like that will be great too.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 PM

Yeah, that reservoir is supposed to be pretty nice. A project I suspect may be postponed with the economy and all. The views you'll get should be pretty great. Especially for the fireworks on the 4th and 24th of July. You can see everyone's displays from Sugarhouse Park down the East Bench to Draper and across the entire west side. The road department is pretty good about snow clearing so you'll likely not have any issues coming and going at will regardless of the weather conditions. It is pretty quiet at night so usually between 10pm and 5am you could hear a pin drop, assuming you don't have strange neighbors. The few we had lost their homes in foreclosures so that was good for all here. A while back there were a few kids on your street that got run over by some drunken teens on motorcycles. It was in the news and I went to the City Council meeting protesting about slowing traffic down on the side streets. The mayor is pretty receptive and does typically act on the requests of the residents. Unlike a lot of cities where they either don't have the budget or really care about such priorities. Overall you will like it. The banks are easily accessible and although we initially shopped at Smiths there on 13400, we now go to Harmon's at "The District" The District off of Bangerter and 114th is very kewl. Good restaurants, shopping and of course the world class theatre. Take care..........

Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 21,871 times
Cool Job Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

....Not sure where your job location will be but you don't want a commute of 45 min or so. Figure that out first and then tell us!
Interestingly enough, I'm going to be servicing Utah, Idaho, and some other states, with 50% of my work in SLC. 13% south, east, and west (even into other states), and the other 30 some odd % is north and north in other states.

So...I've got options when it comes to location. I'm looking from Logan to Provo pretty much. I'm looking at some "country" areas Wellsville, Paradise, Huntsville, Morgan, and Heber City, but I'm not ruling out in the Valley. The information offered has helped me cut to the chase for Valley locations, thanks, much appreciated.

I'm going to have serious commutes in alot of directions for my work here and I can handle some long driving to live in a good location.

I'll investigate Herriman and those other areas...isn't that near the copper mine? And what about the Salt Lake smell that moves SE from the lake?

Once again, I appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area