Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times

Advertisements

According to the TV news, he died at home with his family. He had been in ill health for some time, surviving a massive heart attack and most recently, the double amputation of his lower limbs. He was well known in Utah for his philanthropy. Whether or not you agreed with his views, RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,695 times
I didn't hear about that. That is sad. I didn't know enough to say whether I liked him or not, but he was certainly well known!

Condolences to his family.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Post A Self-Made Man; Employed 7K

There should be a press conference on right now.

I have to respect a man who employed over 7,000 employees and kept those jobs in the Intermountain Area. Additionally, each year, they award 300 college scholarships.

There was a moving post in one of the SLC papers from one of the recipients who had gone to college due to Larry's generiousity.

Thank you Larry for bringing so many different opportunities and remaining firm that the Utah Jazz were staying in Utah!

Best wishes to the Millers, the Utah Jazz family (including Karl Malone, John Stockton and families, as well as Jeff Hornaceck and others). They became what they became because of Larry.

MSR

Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
This Dallas Mavericks fan would like to send his best wishes and condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Miller. The Jazz are a class organization and it's sad to see a part of that leave the basketball world.
God Bless!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
I heard it on the news tonight. That's really too bad. He was only 64 years old, too.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM

214 posts, read 871,803 times
larry h miller was a very classy person.....my thoughts and prayers are with his family and the utah jazz family as well.....i thank larry h miller for putting salt lake city on the map with the utah jazz for being in the smallest city in the nba.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,447 times
Although his views differed from mine, he did much for this state. For that, I thank him. Hopefully his family is coping as best they can... and like Katzpur said, he was only 64; it's a shame to die so early, especially in this day and age.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
From tonight's news, he was told on Feb 12 that he only had days to live, due to a rare condition. So while it was unexpected news to us, his family have been preparing.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Smile Some Qualities I Admired about L. H. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
From tonight's news, he was told on Feb 12 that he only had days to live, due to a rare condition. So while it was unexpected news to us, his family have been preparing.
I read that info as well, SouthernBelleInUtah. Plus, when I'd heard he had the double amputee last month, well.........when it comes to diabetes and amputations, anything can happen. Hopefully, diabetics will pay attention. Larry would be happy if others took better care of themselves from a lesson he taught.

I agree his family did look like they had time to say their good-byes. Honestly, isn't that what all of us would really want with those we love?

What I appreciate are those who can get past petty differences, like some fans from Chicago, L.A., here the fan from Dallas and others who disagreed with Larry for various reasons in the past, to acknowledge today a family has lost their husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather. I think people who cheered for other teams, or didn't share Larry's life views who have expressed condolances, are to be commended. It takes a big man/woman to rise to the high ground. Those who have done this have earned my respect.

Conversely, someone who wants to sling mud doesn't impress me. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying anyone here is slinging mud. There are just a lot of active websites and I think there should be some posts removed in a situation like this.

What also impressed me about Mr. Miller, besides the 300 college scholarships/year, is his willingness to try to learn about people with different beliefs than his own.

I believe Utah and Salt Lake City are better off for having had Larry Miller be a part of the business and entertainment sector for decades. Plus, his businesses certainly helped the economy.

How many pro sports team owners would go on the weekend shows in other markets as often as Larry did and take questions from callers? While I'm not certain, I doubt many would answer as many questions as Larry did.

Besides the Miller family, the Jazz, the NBA team, I'm also remembering the medical team, who took care of Mr. Miller, in my thoughts and prayers. While they are unknown to me, I know working as hard as they did for as many months as they did with Larry, took a lot of energy, inner strength and courage. For the physicians who talked with the family to tell them about the terminal situation, you will be in my prayers too. Many don't realize the burden of having to delivering that news.

If we can learn anything from Larry H. Miller, let's try to learn more about those we don't know as well as we might, and let's be loyal to the principles we believe in, while loving those in our lives.

MSR

Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
OH NO! I knew he wasn't doing to well. That is really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area