Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple considering moving from Massachusetts to Salt Lake City, not concerned with LDS/Non LDS issue, seek opinions from those who moved to Utah to enjoy outdoor activities

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:22 PM

15 posts, read 49,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
One thing I've realized, from going to Utah on road trips dozens of times is you don't have to actually live in Salt Lake, or in Utah at all, to enjoy Utah's natural attractions; Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands is almost just as far from Denver as it is from Salt Lake; Zion and Bryce is closer to Vegas than to Utah's capital. Monument Valley and the SE corner of the state is just as close, if not even closer, to Phoenix and Albuquerque as it is to Salt Lake. Overall, I'd say only move to SLC if you enjoy the city itself-- otherwise, consider Vegas, Phoenix, ABQ, or Denver as other options.
that is a great point. i would just like to add that although nationally, utah is know as a kind of red sandstone state (politacally as well!), up north you dont see it much. the mountains are wet and green and full of wildlife, and amazing vistas. i live in salt lake and i love the verdant mountains: hiking, hunting, fishing, camping...there is more to utah than just slick rock.

butter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM

29 posts, read 105,881 times
Default Ogden for the outdoors

Well, I came for the outdoors! I was working in Philly and volunteered for a transfer that took us away from that congested nightmare. And if you're from MA, you're going to love it here. We're living in Ogden, and to our delight, most numbered streets stop at the foot of the mountain, and up every couple of blocks there is a trailhead to park that puts you on Ogden's network of trails. You have you're choice of a nice, level walk with your partner overlooking the valley, a bit more strenuous hike to Waterfall canyon, or any number of miles/difficulty on the mountain bike. And this is all 4 blocks from our house!

Follow you're instincts to Utah. We are absolutely loving the perks that would have required hours in the car back east. Yesterday a storm blasted through, and we drove 20 mins to Snowbasin. Throwing snowballs in June was a special treat. There's more to do here than there was in Philly, primarly because there are tons of cultural activities that are way cheaper than the big cities, and there are about a million more outdoor activities living next to the mountains. We can't wait for fall and skiing. I can't help but make fun of friends back east who will be paying more than me to ski fake snow.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,437,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeoutside View Post
Have been lurking for a while and am now past the LDS/non-LDS issue. (I am non-LDS).

What i really want to know is this: it seems that most folks who are moving to Utah have already made the decision to move there because of a job or some other consideration. Is there anyone who reads these threads who initially grew up somewhere else, moved to Utah and meets the following the criteria:

1) they did not have to move to Utah. there was no job transfer involved or anything like that.
2) They did not move to Utah because of the LDS presence.
3) they heard that the weather is great and felt that there were more opportunities to do outdoor stuff all year round and were willing to uproot their family in order to do this.
4) they did not move because they heard that it was cheaper to live there -- or at least this was not the main motivation.

I currently am self-employed and need only an internet connection to do my work. I have very flexible hours and can ski any day of the week, but would live downtown because my wife would want to be near the university and would probably want to put our kids in Rowland Hall. Since I am moving from Massachusetts and own my house here, I can comfortably afford to live anywhere in the greater salt lake area including downtown. My wife is hesistant to move here just on the basis of the great outdoors -- so I am looking to hear from others who moved to Utah primarily for the outdoor opportunities.

thanx.
There are plenty of other reasons to live in Salt Lake City besides that.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 AM

56 posts, read 213,318 times
Default I did ....

I think you'll love it, for the most part at least.... of course theres going to be something about anywhere you move that your not keen on (like the winter pollution) but I can say if your a skiier this is the place to be. For many years my job required me to travel for the snow so I have many areas to compare this area to and it is the best snow so far I have ever been on. The skiing and climbing community here is big but pretty tight you'll meet alot of people who are here for the same reason you are. I moved here 8 years ago for the snow (I lived in PC for 5 years) I would like to move back up there or to another smaller town, Im not a city person. It sounds like you could live close to the cottonwwods, your wife could just jump on the highway and then follow the U parkway. My partner is from here and went to Roland hall. I am from the east north of you. I think your gonna like it, Ill never move back. There are others places I really love out west, but my partner is a BIG skiier and won't be anywhere else in the winters.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:59 AM

56 posts, read 213,318 times
Default one more thing....

I also just noticed your past cocern with the LDS thing, I have never had a problem with anyone in a religious sort out here (on a personal level). I think you'd have to be looking for trouble to find it ya know. The religion does influence the government way to much, but I think we're starting to see some change in that.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 AM

242 posts, read 854,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeoutside View Post
What part of Utah do you live in? SLC? Sandy? outer burbs?
Sorry I didn't get back to this. Sugarhouse.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 PM

21 posts, read 68,857 times
Default Moved to Utah for the great outdoors

My husband and I moved to Draper, Utah from Southern California for the sole purpose of being closer to the great outdoors and recreational opportunities. I am a teacher (can work anywhere) and my husband can work anywhere in the Western United States. We absolutely LOVE Utah. We are not LDS and were a bit wary of moving here but have never found it to be a problem. The outdoor recreational opportunities are absolutely astounding. There is so much wilderness to go out and get lost in and it is all within a short commute. There are spots for hiking, biking, rock climbing, paragliding, ATV trails, fishing, camping, skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing, boating, wind surfing- you name it- it is close and beautiful. If you love the outdoors and want to enrich your life by living in one of the most beautiful states in the U.S. then I would say- move to Utah!!

One note- there are several areas of Utah that are still predominately LDS and are biased that way. I would avoid those communities-JMO. If you can- stick to Salt Lake County or live somewhere near Park City. (Park City ROCKS!!!) South Salt Lake County especially the East Bench (east of the 15) is nice.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area