U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,475 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to SLC soon for a job opportunity. We are in our 30's, no kids, love to hang out with friends and go to bars and just have a good time. Is this frowned upon in SLC? We both grew up in the Midwest where it's a given that alcohol will be at any function you go to...just a part of life....I have just heard stories about SLC and how alcohol is not okay as well as not having a family is not the norm. What do you think???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 AM

77 posts, read 233,422 times
Alcohol is the devil's poison. The LDS basically rule SLC and you may feel ostracized if you flaunt your partying ways too much.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 AM

12,537 posts, read 11,825,285 times
My husband and I may be moving to SLC soon for a job opportunity. We are in our 30's, no kids, love to hang out with friends and go to bars and just have a good time. Is this frowned upon in SLC? We both grew up in the Midwest where it's a given that alcohol will be at any function you go to...just a part of life....I have just heard stories about SLC and how alcohol is not okay as well as not having a family is not the norm. What do you think???

I'm actually surprised how often this question or a variation of it seems to get asked on this forum. Utah has probably the most restrictive liquor laws in the nation. We also have the very lowest rates of driving under the influence and alcohol-related traffic fatalities in the nation.

I'll repeat what others and I have said before. If going out to the bars and drinking with your friends is a big part of your social life than Salt Lake City and the state of Utah is probably not the best choice for you. There isn't alot of nightlife in Salt Lake compared to most cities. It does exist, and people who are determined can find some.

Reasons for moving to Salt Lake involve things like enjoying the outdoors, wanting to ski in our beautiful mountains in the winter, hiking on mountain trails in the summer, boating on clear blue scenic lakes, low crime, little urban blight, etc. If you drink, you won't like the liquor laws and this will probably become a sticking point for you. It might be better to live somewhere else.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,999,790 times
yes, utah has stupid liquor laws and stuff but there are still plenty of people who go to bars and drink. I have been to several different ones since I got here and every weekend there full of people. Its surely not the scene to move here for, its much better other places but dont think that your going to be an outkast because you go to the bar on the weekends and stuff. alot of people do it.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM

494 posts, read 1,791,628 times
Make sure you are able to get downtown easily - that is where the bars are located. There aren't many bars in the suburbs. You can get a drink at most restaurants, however, in the suburbs.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 AM

273 posts, read 1,195,731 times
And make sure you budget a larger portion of your income for your liquor. The state owns the liquor stores and they tax the cr@p out of it.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,475 times
Thanks for all the info!! I do have many other interests besides going out...but was a little concerned. I am definately all about the outdoors- camping - hiking - running - snowboarding....etc... and SLC does seem like a great place to do all of these things....so we will see!!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 PM

360 posts, read 1,069,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppygrl View Post
Thanks for all the info!! I do have many other interests besides going out...but was a little concerned. I am definately all about the outdoors- camping - hiking - running - snowboarding....etc... and SLC does seem like a great place to do all of these things....so we will see!!
Denver has a more appealing night life. Most of the bars also have two daily happy hours, unheard of in Utah, although things are getting better as the state will get rid of the private membership clubs in July. Hooray, now you don't need to sign up for a half dozen memberships and carry a card for each one just to get in somewhere to have a drink. At least that hassle is going away.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 9,919 times
well i was ready to be your friend but then you said husband and well i guess that just can't happen now...lol. There are plenty of places to go and have fun, enjoy utah..it is a fun place when you come with the right attitude...it's not vegas or california, it's utah

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 PM

602 posts, read 1,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppygrl View Post
Well, my boyfriend and I are moving there is September. We do have a little boy, but I know we're going to be looking for going out buddies when we get there; that is if we can find a babysitter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area