U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM

25,210 posts, read 25,844,661 times

Advertisements

This is one of my favorite topics to discuss with newcomers to Salt Lake. I've always lived in Salt Lake, so my perspective might be different from those who are transplants here. I'd like to know what you think of the way Salt Lake City is laid out. Were you totally lost when you first arrived? Did you end up on 27th South when the address you were looking for said 27 South? How long did it take for the system to "click" in your mind?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 PM

19,858 posts, read 61,721,455 times
It clicked immediately as I associated it with an XY grid with the Temple at the (0,0) point, after looking at a map. Someone I worked with had the worst time, as he thought 1300 East should run East-West.

I tell people you have to be retarded to get lost here (no offense intended to people with MR, that's different).

Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 44,863 times
When I visited this was one of my favorite things about the city. After having lived in Austin, TX for 6 years, I can't tell you how nice it is to know that most streets don't dead end suddenly and inexplicably, and that addresses are actually somehow correlated to their location. I also love that you can get a really good idea of how far away something is immediately based on the address. I haven't tried it yet, but the fact that 7 blocks is a mile will come in really handy for a runner.

Moving from a city with some of the worst city planners in the country to one of the best planned cities is really exciting. A 1 hour commute for 15 miles gets old really quick.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 AM

I know that when I went to NYC, I gave the cabbie an address, (i.e. 645 Madison Ave). He asked me if I knew the nearest cross street. The '645' part of the address meant literally nothing! Here in Salt Lake, it would mean 645 East or 645 West. Of course you'd have to know that or you could get lost but I can't even imagine living somewhere where the addresses really had no rhyme or reason.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM

5,701 posts, read 12,475,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It clicked immediately as I associated it with an XY grid with the Temple at the (0,0) point, after looking at a map.
A good system, but awkward, because the start (0,0 at the Temple) may make it a bit different from other grid systems where the 0,0 is NOT known to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Someone I worked with had the worst time, as he thought 1300 East should run East-West.
If you encounter another person who may have difficulties, then explain that if you add *on* between the the addresses, it gets easier.
e.g. 1925 South *on* 27th West.
Also, have them look for the mountains. The *they look closer* ones, are in the east.

Before I realised that the Temple was the *start*, I had a few problems.

The *problem* starts, when the cities start to *merge* with each other.
Then the numbering gets awkward again.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 AM

2,486 posts, read 6,492,568 times
I was a little lost at first, but the more I got out to drive in it, the more it made sense. That was only for businesses though. I had the HARDEST time in residential areas. I just couldn't figure out how people knew which one was the house and which one was the road and how to figure out which way to turn in a neighborhood. Took me FOR.EV.ER to finally understand!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM

39 posts, read 95,819 times
Love the street numbering here. I can find my way pretty much anywhere without looking on a map (assuming you're given the number, not the name, of the street).

Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
A good system, but awkward, because the start (0,0 at the Temple) may make it a bit different from other grid systems where the 0,0 is NOT known to you.
I explain that it's like longitude and latitude. It's like the place on a globe where the equator meets the Greenwich Meridian.

Quote:
If you encounter another person who may have difficulties, then explain that if you add *on* between the the addresses, it gets easier.
e.g. 1925 South *on* 27th West.
Excellent idea! I've never thought of that!

Quote:
The *problem* starts, when the cities start to *merge* with each other. Then the numbering gets awkward again.
Oh, yeah! If someone gives you an address in Midvale, you're driving along and suddenly the addresses are the "old Midvale" ones. You might as well just give up.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 AM

5,701 posts, read 12,475,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I explain that it's like longitude and latitude. It's like the place on a globe where the equator meets the Greenwich Meridian.
That's true, but what I meant to convey was that, IF you do not know where to start, you begin to wonder.
When we moved here, I was told to put the Temple in the back of you regardless of where you are, then start navigating.....
Uhmmm ... only works if you *know* where that building is ....
Then go to the Temple, stand in front of it, and then start navigating ....

What never made sense to me was the fact that everybody says e.g. It is on 3rd south.
What is really going on is that 3rd south, is actually 300 south.
Uhmmm, OK, I am getting used to that ...

Then there is the strange phenomenon of one street changing numbers somewhere ...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,966,688 times
it makes sense to me, some people are retarded though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area