Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 AM

7 posts, read 25,269 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first post and stumbled across this sight doing research on Utah. I just got offered a job at the airport in SLC and have to relocate to Utah from Grand Forks, ND.

A little about myself, I am 24 and engaged. We are both Catholic. I am going to be working at SLC airport while my fiance is an elementary school teacher. The LDS community doesn't really bother me, but then again I've never met someone of that faith. I don't see the need to think of someone different for what their beliefs are. We love the outdoors and can't wait to explore everything Utah has to offer.

I have been looking at the Draper area and pretty much have my mind set on it. Just wondering what Draper is like as far as crime, schooling, the people, and any information you can offer. I've noticed UT has some of the lowest teacher paying jobs in the US...Any teachers out there with some info on teaching in the area would be much appreciated by my fiance.

Also does anyone have any good bike trails to go mountain biking on. I can't wait to actually use my bike on some mountain trails. A little flat in North Dakota.

Thank you in advance for any info and I am really excited to move out to UT. It sounds like such an amazing place with tons of stuff to do!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Well, I hope you like to drive b/c Draper is pretty far away from the airport! Yeah, UT can't keep a lot of teachers b/c of the low pay and large class size. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:18 AM

I don't mind a drive into work. That's probably a 30-40 min drive??

Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,421,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf romeo View Post
I don't mind a drive into work. That's probably a 30-40 min drive??
Yeah that drive time is optimistic.
I loved living in Draper but of course moved to town before the boom.
Heck when we got there, the population was around 6,000-two mink farms and a large dairy.
The close proximity to Corner Canyon enabled us to mountain bike, hike and ride our horses.
Early Ute Indian encampments in and around the canyon, made for fun outings, searching for arrow heads and other artifacts. My elderly neighbor was a pro at this and on many excursions would step in front of me, reach down and scoop up a shard I had missed!
Draper is the perfect place to get into Little and Big Cottonwood without having to hit the main roads enroute to the "best snow on earth."
I lived all over the valley and Draper was one of my favorites.
Everyone thought the construction of Bangeter Hwy. would bring more crime to the south end of the valley but we never saw it.
Good luck on your decision!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
I think you will like Utah. However, as other posters have written class sizes here are very large and you are correct that teacher salaries in Utah are either the lowest or among the lowest in this country. Over time it has to affect the quality of public education here. Draper is in the south end of the valley and the airport is in the north end. Its probably a 20 mile commute to the airport. However, the I-15 freeway or the I-215 freeway will shorten this time.

I read somewhere that although the LDS faith is about 70% of the Utah population that Catholics are the second largest denomination with about 20%.

The weather will certainly be warmer here for you than North Dakota. And we do have bike trails.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
And low humidity is a blessing! It may be 105 deg in the summer but it's also 8% humidity. Coming from the Deep South, I appreciate it a lot. Also like having 4 real seasons, the friendly people, and low crime. Of course, I live in Sugar House and have never been to Draper excpet passing through on the interstate. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,206 times
You will love living in Utah! It is a great place to be. I am Catholic and live in Stansbury Park and love it out this way. Only 30 minutes of a stress free commute to the airport. Wish I could help you regarding your fiance. Teachers don't earn nearly what they should in Utah.

Could I ask why you have your mind set on Draper? Draper is a nice place to live, I was just curious. Assuming you will be commuting normal hours (heading north in the morning, south in the evening) the traffic can be a beast on I-15 sometimes.

So glad you are excited about the move! It really is a great place to live!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And low humidity is a blessing! It may be 105 deg in the summer but it's also 8% humidity. Coming from the Deep South, I appreciate it a lot.
Living in the midwest my entire life, with 100% humidity sometime in the summer, the low humidity is going to feel great!!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Could I ask why you have your mind set on Draper? Draper is a nice place to live, I was just curious. Assuming you will be commuting normal hours (heading north in the morning, south in the evening) the traffic can be a beast on I-15 sometimes.
When doing some research it just looked like a nice place to live. I've also looked at Bountiful, Sugar House, Tooele, and Stansbury Park. They all seemed like great places as well. I'm only planning on living in an apartment for a year and then looking for a house. So I could end up anywhere after that first year!! I don't really know why Draper stuck out to me. I know my fiance liked the big Catholic school down there. Anybody know anything about it?

Also, I'm going to be having very strange hours driving to the airport so I won't be hitting traffic everyday...hopefully...

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,046 times
If you aren't familiar with LDS or the area, I would rent before buying in Draper. I cant' imagine living there as non-LDS. I have nothing at all against LDS, and I have several friends who are LDS, however at least for me, I'd like to be able to go out to coffee or have a glass of wine now and then with a friend.

Draper is beautiful and has great trails, for sure. I run out there sometimes.

Non-LDS wanting close to the airport, I would think SLC would be a better bet (if you can afford the nicer areas). Sitting in traffic so you can live in Draper I don't really get, but for sure it's gorgeous and the weather is great and people very nice in this state. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area