U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,754 times

Advertisements

Hi Evryone

We are going to Utah for vacation (mid august), and will be i SLC for 2-3 days, would you recomend any placaes to see in SLC, for now we are planning to se Park City, we are very outdoor oriented familly. Thanks for any response.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM

24,124 posts, read 24,570,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.santi View Post
Hi Evryone

We are going to Utah for vacation (mid august), and will be i SLC for 2-3 days, would you recomend any placaes to see in SLC, for now we are planning to se Park City, we are very outdoor oriented familly. Thanks for any response.
Park City is a great choice. Whether you have kids or not (but expecially if you do), you really ought to consider going on the Alpine Slide. Speaking strictly of outdoor activities (and not even mentioning some of the historical sites right in the city), I would suggest that, if you have an SUV, you drive over Guardsman's Pass, which leads from Park City over the mountain to Big Cottonwood Canyon. You could then drive back into Salt Lake City from there. Up Little Cottonwood Canyon, which is right adjacent to Big Cottonwood, you might enjoy taking the tram to the top of the mountain at Snowbird Ski Resort. You can either take it back down to the bottom or, if you feel adventurous, you can walk back down.

Once you've experienced Utah's mountains, you might enjoy going out to the Great Salt Lake. But if you choose to do so, please, please, please don't go to any of the beaches other than Antelope Island. If you do, I can absolutely promise you'll be disappointed. Antelope Island, on the other hand, is a marvelous place to visit. It's about a half-hour drive north from Salt Lake.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 PM

11,104 posts, read 10,662,588 times
1. Park City is fine. I'd do the Alpine Slide and spend some time walking around the city streets and shops.
2. You might also consider a trip up any of these three canyons: Big Cottonwood; Little Cottonwood; or Millcreek. There is plenty of hiking if you make a trip up any of them. There is an entrance fee to go up Millcreek Canyon now.
3. The Arboretum at Red Butte Creek Canyon near the University of Utah. Its worth the price of admission to look at all the plants and walk their trail network.
4. Hogle Zoo. Its close to the Arboretum and is a very fine zoo considering that Salt Lake City is not a larger city than it is.
5. Clark Planetarium and the Children's Museum. Both are at the Gateway Center.
6. Walk around Temple Square and the church buildings downtown.
7. Go see the open pit Kennecott Copper Mine at Bingham. I doubt you'll ever see a bigger "hole in the ground".

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM

136 posts, read 276,501 times
You might consider a tour of the Temple grounds. The Tabernacle is something else (and home of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir).

I recommend the trolley in downtown SLC. Get a ride...a great way to see the heart of the city without driving.

The University of Utah has (or had!) a great fossil museum. Utah is famous for its dinosaurs.

Trolley Square for eats and shopping.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,050,299 times
The Gateway has an outdoor fountain at the north end, set into the ground. It splashes upwards at different times/speeds, usually set to music. Kids - and adults - run or walk through it. It's great on a hot day as you dry out so quickly in our very low humidity. The IMAX threater is there and they hae some fun movies to see.

If you want to swim, the Fairmount Aquatic Center has a fabulous kid's pool, indoors. It has buckets that fill up, then tilt over, fountains, a huge water slide, a current path to walk or float. The entrance slopes down gradually so little kids can find the right level easily.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 PM

24,124 posts, read 24,570,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The Gateway has an outdoor fountain at the north end, set into the ground. It splashes upwards at different times/speeds, usually set to music.
I absolutely LOVE it when they play "Call of the Champions."

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,050,299 times
Oh, and my grandkids just loved walking around Temple Square. There are a lot of fountains and the plantings are gorgeous.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,415,768 times
There are several good museums around town if you like that sort of thing. There is the art museum and natural history museum at the U of U, the church history museum west of Temple square, the pioneer museum just west of the capitol, and deseret village, a recreated 1860's town just across the street from Hogle Zoo to the North.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,754 times
Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for any input. I'm sure we will chose something, won't be easy with all this great places you recommend.
So far we decided go to (we will be visiting Utah for a week) - Bryce Canyon - hiking, Duck Creek Village and Panguich – ATV (any ATV trails recommended?), then we plan take the scenic byway 12 and go to Moab - off road (renting a Jeep) and see Arches National Park. Park City it’s a must to see place for us, one day or two we'd like to spend in SLC, Great Salt Lake - Antelope Island sounds good.
Unfortunately we are renting a car (not SUV) so Guardsman's Pass is not an option at this time. We love mountains, and we want to spend most of our time there, I’m sorry but Imax, water park /pool (we live east cost 10 min from Atlantic Ocean) or zoo I can see anywhere else (Thanks anyway). I know Utah it’s a great place, we want to see as much as possible in 7 days however 7 months will not be enough. Any suggestions/adjustments to my plan are welcome. Once again Thank You. I can’t wait to see UTAH

Old 07-17-2009, 04:21 PM

5,579 posts, read 12,008,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You can either take it back down to the bottom or, if you feel adventurous, you can walk back down.
For those who *think* that walking *down* a mountain is easier than walking up, they are incorrect for assuming so.

If you do a lot of mountain *wandering* the easy way, then walk up, and ride down.

@ rsanti:
No need for an SUV to go to Guardsman Pass. A regular sedan will do fine, in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area