Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,778 times

Advertisements

I came here in December with a friend and we signed a lease at an Income limited apartment. His girlfriend came here recently to live with us and I've asked her many times to go talk to the office about getting herself added to the lease. She has constantly said shes going to do it but hasn't done it for a month now. I have been looking everywhere I can for laws and anything that would concern this situation. I can't find anything.

I need some advice from someone who is experienced with these things. Is this illegal? I don't want to be the ******* in this situation but it's looking like I might have to be..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,544 times
Yes, it's illegal for her to not be on the lease for a few reasons. If it's income restricted, then it means all 3 of your combined income can not exceed a certain amount in order to live there. You need to go straight to the office and let them know she lives there, and have them send her an official form, and let her know that they know she is there. It may not end well, but you have to protect yourself in this situation first and foremost. If you decide to move elsewhere, make sure they take your name off the lease completely, have her actually sign your part of the lease over to her, if that makes sense.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,778 times
Ok, we're going over there as soon as the manager gets back from lunch. I think I convinced her now that I know and told her it's illegal.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,544 times
Another reason it is illegal is for back ground check reasons. I'm not saying she is dangerous, but each person moving in is subject to a back ground check. As a fellow tenant, I would want to know that anyone and everyone living in my complex has been screened, and is not dangerous.

Hope you get it sorted, let us know how it goes.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
the worst that will happen is you get evicted if they catch that you have her there. most dont unless there causing a problem, they dont want to lose your occupancy.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
But having an eviction on her record will ruin her credit and make it very difficult to find another place.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
yeah, but the odds of them evicting is SUPER slim. They will give warnings first (7 day notice to correct) or something. Im not saying that you shouldnt tell them, just putting in perspective what might happen (which is very little). My wife and most of her family are all in that business, my wife runs a income restricted property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area