Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 47,457 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Salt Lake City. I am very suprised to hear talk of gangs Can some one enlighten me to the dangers before I invest in a home in Salt Lake City?

Zonda

Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,990 times
Just like anywhere in the country there are going to be gangs. I would surmise the largest population of gangs in SLC are in the central and western parts (west of I-15). There is a significant population of gangs in West Valley, Magna, and Rose Park. East Salt Lake seems to have less gang members, but who knows lol!

Old 04-01-2006, 02:55 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
I detect a definite bias against the west-side of the valley. I moved here from Virginia last year. My family chose to buy a new house on the border of Magna and West Valley. I love our neighborhood. It is beautifully designed with paths, green space, and the houses are all new with nice yards. There is a new school that will be ready for my daughter's first year of kindergarten. Up the street are horse properties and the area has a nice country feel despite being 10 miles from downtown.

All of our surrounding neighbors are college-educated professionals, and most have young kids about the age of our kids.

I have never seen any sign of gangs. I did once see the police pull a car over and arrest the driver up the street from our house. I have know idea why. Other than that have not seen any signs of crime.

As I watch the news, crime reports come in from all over the valley. One day there might be a story about a convenience store robbery on the east side of SLC, the next day it might be in West Valley, the next day the report can be from the south part of the valley. In my opinion the "bad guys" have cars and drive around.

Of course some neighborhoods are better than others. When we were looking for a house, we could get a feel just by driving through an area. I remember a couple of dubious looking neighborhoods in West Valley closer to I-15 and in SLC, but as far west as we are, I can't say I see anything wrong with the area.

Last edited by coolcats; 04-01-2006 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-02-2006, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 48,666 times
Default GANGS? you can worry if you wish, but you should know.....

One city in Utah was labeled the murder capital within Utah, with 10 deaths in 2005.

Geesh! People, that is the head count in a single block in Los Angeles or New York. Based on the numbers of people in Utah, you are likely to never know anyone who will every be murdered there!!!

There are bad people anywhere, and they can move to anywhere, but Utah is one of the safer and kinder places in the USA. I have a non-mormon nephew and his wife who recently moved to Lehi Utah. Lehi is a heavily LDS (mormon) town, in terms of percentages. I spoke to his wife and she said how happy she was with all her mormon neighbors. They welcomed them and helped them and honor and respect their different believe.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:26 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Most of the gang activity ison the west side of the valley. The best place on the west side would be herriman. Now of course west valley is ridden with gangs in certain parts . Noiw of course it becomes less and less gangs the farther west you go. West Valley is three parts (In order from East to West) Redwood, Granger, Hunter. Redwood is a mess. It is run down and it has alot of gangs there,. Granger is nicer. There are still gangs there but there are nice parts there also. My grandpa lives in one neighboorhood thats called Fairlane Heights. There was only one murder there That was on Febuary 26, 1980. And it is probaly the best neighboorhood in West Valley. The houses are pretty big. The lots range from .25 to Five or Six acres. But it can be pricey. A house there just sold for 395,900. But the best area is Hunter. It is mostlly farmland there. So it is more expensive there. But the best area in Salt Lake County is The East Bench. Cottonwood Heights has some of the best schools and there are city, lake and mountainb views. It is right up against the montains amd it is only 5 mins to alta in big cootonwood canyon. it is one of the safest areas in utah to be.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:28 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
I live in the Hunter section of West Valley. A while ago, I saw some "SMP" markings spray painted on some fences. Thinking it might be a gang marking, I called the police task force and it was removed quickly. They said "SMP" stands for "smoke more pot" and it was probably just from a "tagger" (think lonely 14 year old misguided kid). That was about 3 months ago, and I haven't seen any more grafitti since. I've seen spray grafitti markings in lots of places, including up by the University of Utah in the rich "eastside" and at Daybreak.

I live in a new neighborhood across the street from horse and alpaca farms and I haven't seen any crime other than the spray paint markings I mentioned.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 44,576 times
Has anyone heard of the westside pinks? Just curious

Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 62,128 times
Default lol

lol west valley city isnt dangerous at all...except the redwood area is really ghetto i mean projects...somethin u wouldnt expect in utah...but the rest is o.k. ...the only areas u need 2 really worry about is...rosepark n glendale...reasons y...glendale is ghetto -- Edited for offensive material -- n glendale is highly known for the westside 104 blocc -- Removed specific references... like 18 street...rosepark is different it is a red hood....recently there has been really high numbers of bloods living there n takin over parts...n is know for the 116 block nortenos...n norte n blood r really close down there...if u dont live in any one of these neighborhoods u prolly think utah has no ghettos...your wrong...the 3 worst cities/hoods are rosepark...glendale n ofcourse in the redwood side of west valley is a place called chesterfield...n is really nasty...but overall if you live outside of these neighborhoods youll be o.k. ...prolly the only places in utah with real gangs n not wannabees...just like a week ago...a member from the Removed specific references... murdered Removed specific references... for lookin 2 him wrong...slit both throats n beat them while they were down...theses are neighborhoods with terrotories...so dont wear red in glendale n dont wear blue in rosepark or your gone...but just move to a nice little suburb like herriman or west jordan ect...or if you got lots of cash move to the federal hieghts (upper eastside)

Last edited by coolcats; 02-26-2007 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Removed offensive references

Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 47,704 times
How does Tooele stand in all these gang statistics? I am considering a move there. Looking for a quiet and peaceful life... think I'll find it?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmikey View Post
lol west valley city isnt dangerous at all...except the redwood area is really ghetto i mean projects...somethin u wouldnt expect in utah...but the rest is o.k. ...the only areas u need 2 really worry about is...rosepark n glendale...reasons y...glendale is ghetto -- Edited for offensive material -- n glendale is highly known for the westside 104 blocc -- Removed specific references... like 18 street...rosepark is different it is a red hood....recently there has been really high numbers of bloods living there n takin over parts...n is know for the 116 block nortenos...n norte n blood r really close down there...if u dont live in any one of these neighborhoods u prolly think utah has no ghettos...your wrong...the 3 worst cities/hoods are rosepark...glendale n ofcourse in the redwood side of west valley is a place called chesterfield...n is really nasty...but overall if you live outside of these neighborhoods youll be o.k. ...prolly the only places in utah with real gangs n not wannabees...just like a week ago...a member from the Removed specific references... murdered Removed specific references... for lookin 2 him wrong...slit both throats n beat them while they were down...theses are neighborhoods with terrotories...so dont wear red in glendale n dont wear blue in rosepark or your gone...but just move to a nice little suburb like herriman or west jordan ect...or if you got lots of cash move to the federal hieghts (upper eastside)
Did anyone else have trouble reading this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area