U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM

21 posts, read 74,341 times

Advertisements

I have lived in utah for about a year and a half now with my husband. My parents are FINALLY coming to visit in August of all months.. as they were terrified they would experience any type of cold weather. I have had foot surgery and am stuck in a walking boot for 3 more weeks... I should be out of it the week they get here, but have limited things I can do. I want to show my parents Salt lake and the area and have some fun... ANY IDEAS OF THINGS WE COULD GO SEE AND DO? My parents are NOT LDS and like to see/do things.... PLEASE HELP!!!!! WIlling to travel!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 PM

763 posts, read 1,859,953 times
-Red Butte Garden (garden walk or any concert that's here that week)
-Weekend trip to any national park or in southern Utah, or Moab
-Drive Logan Canyon to Bear Lake
-Park Silly Sunday Market in Park City
-Utah Museum of Fine Arts
-Living Planet Aquarium
-Utah Heritage Foundation walking tour of historic SLC homes (they try to make them wheelchair accessible, if you're still in a boot)
-LDS Church office building observation deck
-Trolley Square and Gateway shopping
-Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice (Thursday nights?)
-Any concert at Deer Valley that week?
-Tram ride at Snowbird
-Spa day at the Homestead or Zermatt in Midway/Heber Valley (good antique shopping, too)
-Some August events/festivals off the top of my head: Raspberry Days (Bear Lake/Garden City); Peach Days (Brigham City); Ophir Day (Ophir, Tooele County)
-Kennecott mine tour
-Promontory Point/Golden Spike
-Springville Art Museum

Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,720,038 times
#1 on my list when my folks came for their 1st visit was up Provo Canyon to Bridal Veil Falls and up to Sundance for dinner at their top restaurant. It provided a wonderful adult experience indeed. Great scenery and it will be reasonable in temperature as well being up the canyon a ways. Might be nice to head home through the Alpine Loop from there. A nice diversion from the city, and IMHO what Utah is really all about........

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,111,208 times
Zionide has given you a great list. I am not LDS but I and my family love walking through Temple Square. The gardens are extensive and beautiful and there are lots of fountains for my grandkids to dabble their hands in. I'd go very early in the a.m. before it gets too hot.

The Kennecot mine is a unique experience - it is one of 2 manmade objects that can be seen from outer space w/o a telescope (the other is the Great Wall of China). It is impossibly deep and just spectactular to view from the top. Interesting little museum there as well.

Drive up north to Antelope Island, about 1 hr., to view the lake up close. You can't get under water as you float. Let them take a bathing suit and see how fun it is to float completely on top of the water. Small snack stand there as well.

Ogden has the railroad museum, Hill AFB has the airforce museum (not "the" official one). Ogden has a hostoric downtown from what I've been told.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM

2,465 posts, read 6,302,638 times
A horse drawn carriage ride through the downtown sites is just so much fun!!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 PM

602 posts, read 1,745,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
A horse drawn carriage ride through the downtown sites is just so much fun!!
I bet that would be even better at Christmas, thought that doesn't really fit "summer fun".....lol

Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 6,302,638 times
It is AWESOME at Christmas, but even in the summer it is still a terrific time!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM

11,111 posts, read 10,681,254 times
Zionide did such a great job listing things that I'm reluctant too. But here's my list as well:

1. Church Conference Center (see if you can hear an organ recital). Go up on the roof of the conference center with your parents and look at the area that has been planted in plants native to the prairie. Its quite a sight.

2. State Capitol Building is considered one of the finest in the western states. You might take a brief tour of the building.

3. Gateway Mall and shops.

4. Drive up Mill Creek Canyon and consider either brunch on Sunday at Log Haven or if you want to be cheaper just a picnic lunch at one of the many sites there.

5. Kennecott Copper Mine.

6. Picnic lunch at Wasatch State Park near Heber.

7. Ride the Heber Creeper Steam Train.

8. Car trip beginning in Salt Lake. Drive south to Provo. Go up the Provo River Canyon. Stop at Bridal Veil Falls for a view. Drive onward through Heber and Park City. Than down Parley's Canyon and back to Salt Lake.

9. Trolley Square is torn up for renovations. However, lunch there at the Spaghetti Factory is always good.

10. Red Butte Creek Gardens.

11. Drive and park in City Creek Canyon.

12. Drive around the University of Utah with special attention to the stadium and the role played in the 2002 Olympics.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 74,341 times
thanks everyone. Some of those ideas I had on my TO DO list, but there were some new ones I'll have to look into. I did have a moab trip down, any suggestions as to where to stay and a good jeep tour company? In my research there were so many.. I want to make sure we get to see the arches and some of the other great views.
Again.. thanks so much!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:12 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,111,208 times
If you got to Moab you might as well go to Bluffdale. The Edge of the Cedars State Park Museum has a very good collection of Native Amer pots. They also have a 1,000 y/o feather cloak and lots of sandals but these are rarely on display. And from there (several B&Bs in Bluffdale), go near sunset to -oh, I've forgotten the name- the next town down the road. You ride through spectacular red rock cliffs as the sun sets. There is a nice little restaurant at the base of the cliffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area