U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM

12 posts, read 30,677 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are driving cross country. Leaving MA 9/21, will get to Salt Lake around the 24th. Would like to know what we "MUST" see? We love food, outdoors, and the arts if that helps. But we are open to anything. Places with a view, good local food & brew, and points of interest... Please let me know what we shouldn't miss. We have only 1 day in town. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM

26,309 posts, read 27,675,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsmart View Post
My husband and I are driving cross country. Leaving MA 9/21, will get to Salt Lake around the 24th. Would like to know what we "MUST" see? We love food, outdoors, and the arts if that helps. But we are open to anything. Places with a view, good local food & brew, and points of interest... Please let me know what we shouldn't miss. We have only 1 day in town. Thanks!
Well, I can't imagine being in Salt Lake City for just one day and not seeing Temple Square. I would suggest a 40-minute tour of the grounds and another hour just browsing the immediate vicinity on your own. Be sure to go across the street to the LDS Conference Center. Tell one of the men or women who greets you that you don't have time for a lengthy tour, but would like to see the auditorium. It seats 21,000 people and is really impressive. Then ask for directions to the LDS Church Office Building and take the elevator to the 26th floor where you can see a panoramic view of the city.

The Lion House Pantry would be a great place for lunch. It's a little restaurant in the lower level of Brigham Young's old home. The food is served cafeteria style, but don't let that put you off. It's excellent! If the weather is nice and the backyard and patio are open, you can eat outside under the shade trees.

The Utah State Capitol has recently been renovated and is an absolute must-see. It's one of the most beautiful state capitol buildings I've ever been in. There are guided tours of the building there, too, and another great view of the city. It's also just a few blocks away from Temple Square.

I'll be thinking of some more things, but will also wait to see what everybody else says before offering any more suggestions.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-13-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,518,527 times
Temple Sq is a beautiful place to walk around. Fountains, nice flowers, probably many still blooming. I liked peeking in the Taberbacle building (you know, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?).

If time and can get there, the Red Iguana on North Temple just past the interstate overpass has outstanding and inexpensive food. For beer, a lot of people like Squatters Brew Pub - food too.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-13-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Oh, I just remembered...

If you are here on the 24th, you may wish to go to a Tabernacle Choir rehearsal. They rehearse every Thursday night (and the 24th is a Thursday) for the upcoming Sunday's broadcast. It's free of charge and I'm pretty sure you can come and go as you like.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 AM

5,880 posts, read 13,092,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
They rehearse every Thursday night (and the 24th is a Thursday) for the upcoming Sunday's broadcast. It's free of charge and I'm pretty sure you can come and go as you like.
Just keep in mind that it is a rehearsal !
Still worthwhile being there as a final thing to do on your one day trip.
And .. yes, come as you like (somewhat decent).

Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM

12 posts, read 30,677 times
is it worth checking out antelope island?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:14 PM

56 posts, read 199,569 times
Antelope Island is pretty but that would pretty much take up your whole day.

For food, you MUST go to Tony Ca p u t o's on 300 South and 300 West. It's the best Italian deli this side of New York. It has been written up in several national papers and I'm pretty sure Guy Fieri has gone there on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (Food Network). It's incredible!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-15-2009 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: change spelling so it wouldn't be cut

Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsmart View Post
is it worth checking out antelope island?
I love Antelope Island, and I disagree that it would take up a day. It's only about 20 minutes or so from downtown Salt Lake City, where you will probably be staying anyway. There isn't a ton of stuff to do out there, so you could spend an hour out on the island and pretty much get a good look at both the lake and the Salt Lake City skyline from there in that amount of time. If you decide you want to see the Great Salt Lake, do not waste your time going to any of the beaches at Saltair. They're ugly and dirty and the smell can be quite disgusting. Antelope Island, on the other hand, is unique and very picturesque in its own way. I would highly recommend it.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM

550 posts, read 2,098,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love Antelope Island, and I disagree that it would take up a day. It's only about 20 minutes or so from downtown Salt Lake City, where you will probably be staying anyway. There isn't a ton of stuff to do out there, so you could spend an hour out on the island and pretty much get a good look at both the lake and the Salt Lake City skyline from there in that amount of time. If you decide you want to see the Great Salt Lake, do not waste your time going to any of the beaches at Saltair. They're ugly and dirty and the smell can be quite disgusting. Antelope Island, on the other hand, is unique and very picturesque in its own way. I would highly recommend it.
Although, in my opinion, any Great Salt Lake beach is disgusting. Took us there in fifth grade for a field trip - I'll never subject my children to entering that cesspool. However, Antelope Island itself is pretty fascinating. There's a visitor center there that's worth taking a look.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 PM

427 posts, read 1,256,446 times
Temple Square - go up to the top floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and check out the view. Capitol. Walk down Main Street...maybe take the Trax around the downtown vicinity to see what it's like (it's free for downtown areas). The downtown area isn't too big and is full of historic buildings, amazing architecture, and beautiful streetscapes. City Library (one of the best in the Nation). Gateway and the Planetarium located there. Liberty Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area