Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 26,016 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is the year that my family will finally jump into skiing. We live in the Sugar House area, 2 parents + a 9 and 10 year old. The 9 year old wants to snowboard, the rest of us want to ski.

Where do you suggest we go to start lessons? I've heard Deer Valley and Alta both don't allow snowboarding, so I guess those are out. So, what about the others? Which is your favorite and why? Any ski schools that suck? Which resorts do you consider to be a good bang for the buck?

I understand taking a shuttle bus will be necessary for the cottonwood canyons... Do any places have crap shuttle service? Is it better to just drive to Park City and avoid having to shuttle?

Also, if we were to get a yearly equipment rental, what businesses would you suggest?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM

25 posts, read 100,793 times
Default Skiing

If you don't mind driving north for about an hour Wolf Mountain in Ogden Valley is a very economical place to learn to ski, they have cheap family rates and the beginers hill is served by a chair lift so you can conquer that fear in the beginning. There is a terain park for snowboarders, resort is nothing fancy, but then you just want to learn to ski, right?

One thing to be aware of at big resorts is that children and beginners are assigned to beginning instructors, most of which haven't been certified yet and may not be the best teachers.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 PM

835 posts, read 2,071,631 times
I disagree with flyinlow about the instructor situation. I know lots of instructors that are seasoned pros that love teaching kids and beginners. At some resorts, you will get new instructors that will be assigned the kids and beginners-not always a bad thing either. Sometimes the new instructors enthusiasm more than makes up for lack of years teaching!
I would avoid the ski truck and all of the ski swaps in the area for the first couple of years. Wait and see who likes what, boarding vs skiing-and the growth spurts are amazing! One of the main reasons that I went to work at a ski shop was to keep up with a rapidly growing child.
Utah Ski and Golf-at least the one in PC used to offer a pretty amazing season rental program for kids-check there. Jans in PC also has good deals but call both places soon to get the skinny as the good deals don't last.
To bad about the snowboarder as i think that Deer Valley has the best kids program in the state-but,since kids will be kids and want to board, I would check into Solitude. The beginner lift is pretty close to the ground the whole way up and it is usually not crowded. Check their web connection for a kids program that runs a couple of weeks. In my opinion, you all will be miles ahead if you can get them into a Sat or Sun program that runs for a few weeks-they will more than likely have the same instructor and the same group of kids in the lesson each week.
Also, check the resorts for coupon books and early season deals to save some $$-I have been going up to Solitude for about 5 seasons now on the Custom pass-and think that it is a fantastic deal! They also have a decent lunch room for those of us that bring our own.
I have not had to use the ski bus to go up there as I can hook a ride with an all wheel drive buddy on those days-I would not hesitate to use it though. It is only a couple of bucks and I just have a hard time getting organized enough to get on the bus and then think about everything that I left in my car!
I am happy for you and your family that you are going to take the plunge-I did not learn to ski until I was 38 and I still think it is the most fun thing that I have ever done!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,029,080 times
Deer Valley has the BEST instructors and ski school in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 AM

9 posts, read 26,016 times
Thanks for all the info....

SkiBarbie what did you mean by avoiding the "ski truck"? I have no idea what that means.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 AM

835 posts, read 2,071,631 times
The ski truck is out at the State Fair grounds-although I don't think that it is in the actual truck anymore! You might be able to get some deals there for your incidentals, such as neck gaiters, goggles, base layers, etc. Honestly though, I would not buy helmets or goggles from them at all! Get your helmets at a ski shop where you can be properly fitted.
Also, check with TJMaxx stores around the valley for the all important gloves/mittens. They usually advertise pretty heavily when they bring the ski soft goods in-and some fantastic buys can be had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area