Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:08 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,054 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Eastern Nevada and am looking to maybe do a long weekend or short vacation to Western Utah for skiing and snowboarding. I would prefer to be in the SLC area because I would like to meet some friends from the midwest and SLC would offer the best air transportation.

What are good ski resorts near SLC that offer good packages. I am a decent skiier, but certainly not an expert so I don't need to go to the biggest and best place (read: most expensive), but would still like a nice resort with nice hotel rooms and a spa, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
Well, it is a good thing that you want to be in SLC area as there are no ski areas in Western Utah! Check in at the Ski Utah websight and pick a resort or 5 and see what they have going on. You could just put a package together on your own, staying in SL and skiing wherever you would like. This can also be accomplished up in Park City with 3 resorts right there. Have fun and plan ahead/buy ahead to get the best deals!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
To second the above - it may be more cost effective to just put together your own ski "package".

Near to Salt Lake City, there are 4 ski resorts. All four of these resorts can be reached in about 30 minutes from the airport. You could stay in SLC, or in the Midvale area of SLC (south of the city). When I used to vacation in UT, we would always stay in Midvale - access to both Big Cottonwood and Little Cottonwood Canyons are really easy from Midvale, plus the lodging is a bit less expensive. Another good place where I stayed was right off of I-15- Pavillion Inn (
The Pavilion Inn a Salt Lake City Hotel - they had warm fresh baked cookies every afternoon in the lobby and this amazing hot breakfast that was included in the rate.

In Big Cottonwood Canyon: Alta and Snowbird (note: Alta does not permit Snowboarders)
Both offer great terrain. Depending on the abilities of those in your group, Snowbird may be a bit much if you have beginners. In my opinion, Snowbird does not have the best terrain for beginners or low intermediates.

In Little Cottonwood Canoyon: Solitude and Brighton
I have never skied at Brighton, but have heard good things. Brighton is also the only place that has night skiing too. I have skied at Solitude quite a few times, and it is one of my favourite places to ski. Solitude has quite a bit of terrain for beginners, and is great for intermediates. There is also good choices for advanced skiers.

In Park City there are three resorts:
Park City Mountain Resort, The Canyons, and Deer Valley (note Deer Valley does not permit snowboarders).
Of these resorts, I only have experiences skiing at the Canyons and Deer Valley. I did not like the Canyons as much as other places in UT, mainly because of the lift layout, and slope layout - it was difficult, in my opinion to get around.

Ogden area has two ski areas worth the trip. The ski areas are about 1 - 1.5 hours from SLC. You could easily drive up to one of these areas for the day and drive back to your hotel in SLC.

Snowbasin is pretty ritzy, and has some fantastic terrain. I find that it has a lot to offer all ability levels. I took my sister and brother-in law there who are intermediate and advanced beginner skiers respectivly, and there was something there they both could enjoy. And of course, there is also plenty to offer more advanced skiers.

Powder Mountain is a nice mom and pop type resort, without a lot of the amenities you see at the other UT ski areas. I only skied there once, but really want to go back. Both Snowbasin and Powder mountain would be worth the trip.

As for lift tickets, one option would be to get the Salt Lake City Super Pass - you could use it for a day ticket at Snowbird, Alta, Solitude and Brighton. It is a pretty good deal. Plus you get free rides on the local bus that goes to the resort if you do not feel like driving. (Ski Salt Lake Super Pass)

Another option would be to get discount tickets at Canyon Sports. Canyon Sports | Ski & Snowboard Rentals | Salt Lake City - Cottonwood - Sandy - Ogden - Utah (http://www.canyonsportssandy.com/utah_rental_shop_locations.php - broken link). You can purchase discount tickets there and also rent equipment. I have never rented equipment from them so can't vouch for the quality.

Final Note on lodging:
In my personal opinion, you would be best off staying in Midvale/Sandy or downtown SLC. I think Park City is way too expensive. Then again, it depends on your budget and what type of experience you want.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Why do many of these places not permit snowboarders? Are they perceived as hoodlums and trouble makers?

Thanks for the tips and descriptions so far, keep them coming.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 PM

I've heard Park City is great, would you recommend staying in a ski lodge, or instead staying at a hotel in the city and maybe going to different ski resorts on different days.

If I stayed in a separate hotel I would want it to have a nice atmosphere and feel - not a chain motel by the highway. Does Park City have a nice walk-able downtown with bars/clubs/restaurants & shopping? If you are familiar with Flagstaff AZ - is Park City similar to that?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
Park City and Flagstaff are about as far away on the whole ski resort experience as they can be.
First off, the ski area in Flagstaff does not have the snowmaking that the resorts in Utah do. That creates seasons that have been 3 days long at the Arizona Snowbowl. I like Flagstaff but as a summer hang out not a winter one. Plus, there is 1 resort compared to the 9+ that we have here within 45 minutes of the SLC airport.
If I had the $$, I would stay at Hotel Park City. It is not on the mountain and not real close to Old Town-where the bulk of the night life/dining is to be had. That being said, they do have a car service at your back and call.
Newpark Hotel at Kimball Junction-gateway into Park City-is brand new and nice also. It is 6 miles into Old Town-but there are a couple of restaurants, some shopping and a movie theatre.
Park City has a great bus system that is free and covers a huge area. If you are going to do the PC thing, skip the rental car altogether, take one of the many shuttles from the airport and back. Parking is a pain in the neck and with all of the free bus rides and hotel shuttles, more $$ for fun!
You will pay a huge premium to stay slopeside and I would rather save my money for other apres ski activities.
Utah has 2 of the 3 resorts in the US that are ski only. I really like a ski only experience and here is why. Snowboards move across the mountain in a different manner. I have found that the snow gets scraped off and mounded up etc. Another thing that sticks in my craw about my knuckle draggin friends is the sitting down right after getting off the lift-get off to the side to buckle in! Enough about that...I have never witnessed a snowboarder being more of a trouble maker than a skier..
Keep in mind some prime dates for skiing here in Utah-especially PC area resorts.
Christmas holiday-usually is at a peak starting the 26th for about 7 to 10 days. Deer Valley limits that amount of skiers on the hill and usually sells out several times a season.
Sundance Film festival-starting January 22 for about 2 weeks. Not a bad time to ski but usually a bad time to secure lodging.
Presidents week-especially the first weekend, once again crowded and DV sells out here also.
MartinLuther King weekend has developed into a huge 3-4 day ski extravaganza in the past 5 years or so.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM

I live in Eastern Nevada so I'll be driving there and will have a car, friends from the midwest would be flying into Salt Lake City.

Ski-only resorts are out of the question since I have only snowboarded in my life, and I do not own ski's.

As far as comparing Park City to Flagstaff - I wasn't asking for a comparison of their skiing because I have never skied in Flagstaff, I have just spent time there in the summer and liked the downtown area. What I was asking is whether Park City's downtown area is active like Flagstaff, and if it's a good place to have fun off the slopes (bars, restaurants, shopping, etc.). The reason this is important is because my girlfriend has never skied before and she will presumably be spending less time on the slopes so I don't want her sitting in some Motel 6 room by the highway while I'm on the mountain.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Last edited by nickw252; 10-08-2009 at 11:07 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Why do many of these places not permit snowboarders? Are they perceived as hoodlums and trouble makers?

Thanks for the tips and descriptions so far, keep them coming.
There are only 2 places which don't permit snowboarders. They have a successful business model, so they've kept it.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Old Town PC is party central in ski season. Your GF won't have any trouble shopping, eating, drinking, hanging out. But it's an expensive city.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I just moved to Eastern Nevada and am looking to maybe do a long weekend or short vacation to Western Utah for skiing and snowboarding. I would prefer to be in the SLC area because I would like to meet some friends from the midwest and SLC would offer the best air transportation.

What are good ski resorts near SLC that offer good packages. I am a decent skiier, but certainly not an expert so I don't need to go to the biggest and best place (read: most expensive), but would still like a nice resort with nice hotel rooms and a spa, etc.
I have to put in a plug for Ogden, 30 miles north of SLC. If you want good skiing that's not as crowded or as expensive as the SLC area, give Snow Basin, Powder Mt. and Wolf Creek a try. The revitalized downtown area is historic and charming with lots of shops and restaurants. The rec center a block away from the downtown area and has indoor sky-diving, indoor rock climbing, and a wave runner among other things. Moderator cut: no advertising allowed Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-27-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area