Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 AM

4 posts, read 9,994 times

Advertisements

I curently live in SA and am looking to relocate to the Salt Lake Area as a teacher with 2 children (12 (boy) & 14 (girl)). We are non-LDS. We belong to the Methodist Church.
I love the area, especially the outdoor oppotunities - this being one of the main reasons, along with a bit of a support system - for my choice.
I spent a year at BYU on a Track Scholarship.
I am looking for a safe environment to raise my kids in and teach in but am a little nervous of what I read about the way non LDS kids are reported to experience "fitting in" and being accepted. I'm ok but I don't want to make a choice that would be difficult for my children to live with.
Which neighbourhood would be good in terms of what I've written? Schools?
Or should I just scratch this idea from my agenda and choose Atlanta since I also have a small support system there?

I would appreciate any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Like atlanta will be any better.. not to say your going to experience any issues in slc but id say your chances are much higher of having issues in ATL

Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
The Avenues, Sugar House, the Foothills areas are your best bets for a diverse neighborhood. LDS kids will not date a non-LDS kid, if they are "good" church-goers. Of course, they don't date until 16. In thoise areas, you're more likely to find similar kids for yours to hang out with and date.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 AM

273 posts, read 1,247,202 times
I would suggest staying in Salt Lake County as it is becoming very diverse and the us vs. them problems seem to be much less here. The Mormons here seem to be much more tolerant of those around them with different views. My kids play with Mormon kids every day and there have never been any problems. I should say they are all in elementary school though so I can't speak of junior or senior high school experiences. And we need teachers badly so I would think you would have no problems finding a job here.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Of course, they don't date until 16.
Ha. Only the truly devout Mormons (aka "mo-mos") don't date til 16; the rest ignore that advice. Also, the non-Mormons in my school went out with Mormons, although this incidence lessened as relationships got more serious (especially approaching graduation).

Old 11-06-2008, 04:17 AM

Thanks, guys! It really is great to hear what you have to say. It does make the process a lot easier to hear the positive stuff there is out there. Much appreciated!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 AM

273 posts, read 1,247,202 times
By the way, in our neighborhood our best friends are Canadian, Irish, and German. How's that for diverse? All of them love it here and , like us, have learned to adapt to the strange culture. We have all learned to just shake our heads and laugh a lot.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:12 AM

An update on this!!!!
Our house is sold, container packed, tickets bought and schools in process of being organised for kids. We are flying out of SA on Jan 11 arriving SLC on Jan 12......oh dear....how to adapt to the cold after a long summer holiday at the most southern tip of Africa, Cape Agulhas!
Yes! As all of you have said......it's a roller coaster ride. I am excited yet nervous and sad to say goodbye to 20 good years in PE.

xxx

Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Congrats on selling the house! Where are you going to move? I mean, where in SLC? Have you rented/bought a house yet?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:40 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Awesome!! Congrats on your move and safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area