Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 AM

88 posts, read 234,081 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking the family to the Dinosaur park in Ogden for a vacation next year.

I've read their website, but wondered what people with local knowledge think:
1. Good park for younger kids (ages 4-6)?
2. How many days' worth of entertainment? I would guess about 2 days, but could be miscalculating.
3. Any other things to do in the area?
4. Any advice on where to stay near the park?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,713,960 times
A vacation JUST to see the dinosaur park? That will be a short vacation...

Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
A vacation JUST to see the dinosaur park? That will be a short vacation...

Thanks, that's helpful. So, if Dinosaur park is only enough to maybe occupy one day there (or is there enough there to where it's interesting to visit it again a second day?), is there anything else nearby that is good for families with kids to see?

Yeah, I wasn't thinking a long vacation there, anyway, just a few days, maybe a weekend. I wanted to give the kids a chance to see Dinosaur park while they're still in that phase where dinosaurs are a big deal to them (it's mentioned in several kids' dinosaur books, tv shows, etc). I live in WA state, so it's not a very long flight to SLC.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. So, if Dinosaur park is only enough to maybe occupy one day there (or is there enough there to where it's interesting to visit it again a second day?), is there anything else nearby that is good for families with kids to see?

Yeah, I wasn't thinking a long vacation there, anyway, just a few days, maybe a weekend. I wanted to give the kids a chance to see Dinosaur park while they're still in that phase where dinosaurs are a big deal to them (it's mentioned in several kids' dinosaur books, tv shows, etc). I live in WA state, so it's not a very long flight to SLC.
You probably won't want to spend 1 whole day there, much less a second. It's interesting, but not huge and you'll see it all in a couple of hours...at least my family did.

The big things to see in and around Ogden are the Train and Browning Firearms Museum, the Hill Air Force Base museum, the Treehouse museum (a big hit for kids), Antelope Island. and Ft Buenaventura.

If your kids love dinosaurs, the largest dinosaur museum in the world is about 40 or so miles south in Lehi. There is also a good natural history museum on the U of U campus in downtown SLC and another at the BYU campus in Provo.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
You probably won't want to spend 1 whole day there, much less a second. It's interesting, but not huge and you'll see it all in a couple of hours...at least my family did.

The big things to see in and around Ogden are the Train and Browning Firearms Museum, the Hill Air Force Base museum, the Treehouse museum (a big hit for kids), Antelope Island. and Ft Buenaventura.

If your kids love dinosaurs, the largest dinosaur museum in the world is about 40 or so miles south in Lehi. There is also a good natural history museum on the U of U campus in downtown SLC and another at the BYU campus in Provo.

Thanks for the info, I'd give you another rep point if I could.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,945,949 times
If you feel like driving a bit, there is a dinosaur park in Vernal. Supposed to be very good, although I have never been myself.

Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Adventures | Utah.com

The one in Ogden is barely a day trip. It is something to see, but not THAT much.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
If you feel like driving a bit, there is a dinosaur park in Vernal. Supposed to be very good, although I have never been myself.

Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Adventures | Utah.com

The one in Ogden is barely a day trip. It is something to see, but not THAT much.
Unfortunately the dinosaur quarry, visitor's center and museum is shut down, and that's the coolest thing to see at dinosaur national monument.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 PM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the dinosaur quarry, visitor's center and museum is shut down, and that's the coolest thing to see at dinosaur national monument.
There is litlle to see in the national monument outside of the building that has been condemned. It is NOT worth the three hour drive until that has been reopened.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,945,949 times
Oh sadness All the good things end up closing.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 PM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Oh sadness All the good things end up closing.
They are planning to rebuild the visitor's center. They closed the visitor center because the foundation was shifting. Several engineering firms believed that the building posed a serious danger to staf and visitors.

This website will give you some idea of the severity of the issue, They are rather scary.

Dinosaur National Monument - Why is the Quarry Visitor Center Closed? (U.S. National Park Service)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area