Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,507 times

Advertisements

Plan to move to Layton or Kaysville, Utah, this summer. We look for the area with good Jr. High and Elementary. We are considering Kaysville more. We want to be around other young and diverse neighbor. Could I know what is the average house value in the area? Suppose we look for around 250K house, any suggestion? In addition, the difference in the environment between I-15 East and West? I heard avoiding the flood area. Are there any area we should avoid? Or any recommended area? I would greatly appeciate any information. We are really looking forward to moving. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 03:02 AM

132 posts, read 683,829 times
Talking East Layton or East Kaysville

Hi there. I had a post all done for you, and I was just reviewing before submitting it when my computer shut off. Lost it all. So, I'll try to cover what I had before as fast as I can.

In my humble opinion, East Layton & East Kaysville are especially nice. At the housing price you listed, you could easily find what you're looking for. The closer to the bench or living on it will be more pricey, but wherever you choose on the East side, the views are incredible. Just looking out each day is amazing. You feel like you could just walk right over and touch these massive mountains. Incredible views! Oh, many people gave us these very helpful hints of why they said we should move to the East of I-15:

-best for mountain views
-much less mosquitos
-avoiding the lake stink issues or possible flooding
-East Layton especially diverse, but Kaysville smaller population (so comes down to what's best for your own family between those 2)

We live in East Layton and really enjoy how centrally located we are. Everything is so close that it's great! We barely have to drive to get anywhere and usually there's so many choices of where to go, you have to decide what thing to do & when. When we 1st got here, we just jumped right in. I signed my kiddies up for activities right away. God also led us to such a sound doctrinal church that I can't thank Him enough. \/

There's just an endless list of things to do here and it's very family-oriented. And the whole state has so many different types of environment to enjoy - from desert to canyons or mountains, lakes & rivers, etc. etc. I can't imagine not living here right now. We've been here a tad over 2-1/2 mths. Well my hubby's been here longer. He loves his job, too.

You asked about schools. I homeschool, but I do remember reading that Kaysville's high school, called "Davis" was ranked #1 in the nation recently. And Kaysville has a smaller, more cozy type city with a much smaller population than Layton. Layton is the shopping area with tons of stores and restaurants and more. It can get really congested around the main mall and nearby shopping, but you learn fast what times of day are best to be on what roads. We found great backroads and other ways to get to less congested shopping, too. There's just so many choices. So, it just depends what you're looking for as a family mostly.

Layton should be near 65,000 going by estimates and how fast it's growing. Kaysville should be close to 25,000 by this year. So, it's a big difference there. My family's dream would've been to live out in a farm area or at least have more land up north, but just too expensive at this point. Well, what might be affordable north of Weber County was just not available on the market in the winter while we were looking.

Hey, here are some city and county links that should help you a lot:

http://www.kaysvillecity.com/
http://www.layton-utah-living.com/
http://www.laytoncity.org/public/

To compare stats:

//www.city-data.com/city/Kaysville-Utah.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Layton-Utah.html

Davis County links...

http://www.davisareacvb.com/
(Wow! They added a video on the front page that really does great to show how much fun stuff there is to do in Davis County. Check it out!)

http://www.utah.com/daviscounty/
http://www.daviscountyutah.gov/

BTW what state are you coming from? The weather here has been so great compared to what we're used to. MUCH less humid and rarely any severe Spring storms like we were used to getting all the time. So much easier for us to plan activities because the 10 day forecast us usually - SUNNY. If it rains it's usually so fast or light. There was a big soaker recently, and we sure need that rain again. It's such a neat combination here, because even tho' it's like desert type weather, it also has a mountain winter weather with tons of snow. Some of the most beautiful snowfalls here!

There's just limitless opportunities here and so many choices all right by here. Well, hope this has helped answer your questions. Hope your move goes very well and that you enjoy your new job. And I hope your family has fun with all the new activities to choose from and tons of great sights to see. Sheesh, I should work at the Visitor's Bureau around here!! haha.

Hey, give us all updates as your family decides where you're going and feel free to ask any questions. This place and TONS of fun online research I did before moving here, were all a great blessing to my family. It made our major move across the country a much smoother one. Well, enjoy the links above.

Last edited by coolcats; 05-22-2007 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Removed reference per poster request

Old 05-18-2007, 09:00 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,700,994 times
I’m glad to hear you are liking it, and the adjustment’s going well. If you keep talking it up so much Layton and Kaysville will pretty soon be much bigger than the populations you mentioned

What kind of crime did you have to deal with at your house? I was a bit surprised to hear that, because I’ve always thought of Davis county as having less of a problem than SL county where we live. But we haven’t had any problems with our particular house. One person a couple of streets over left their garage door open at night and did have a guy come in, but they caught him in the act.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,110,646 times
Totally totally totally agree with MountainFaith!!

Just want to add, that Kaysville runs into Layton...so if your looking for distance, drive times... where you are in proximaty to Hwy 89 or I15 rather than which town you are in is what makes the difference.

Kaysville has less diversity, being further away from Hill AFB, but isn't diversity-resistant.

I myself like the type of living on the EAST side...the west is too....cookiecutter, stripped of trees and vegetation...east is established/mature neighborhoods with charachter and residents of all ages, lots of history. About half of my neighbors have lots of small children, the other half are retired and lived in their houses for 30-40 years.

Oh, want to add...have lived in this neighborhood for 4 years (in UT for 6), and we are STAYING FOREVER!

Last edited by lolagranola; 05-18-2007 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: edited to add that I'm not a native!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,507 times
Thank you so much for lots of helpful information!!
Mountainfaith, I greatly appreciate your kind help.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:07 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,479,512 times
Default Welcome!

You are definitely moving to a nice area regardless if you land in Kaysville or Layton. I moved to Layton (about 1/4 mile south of Hill AFB) about 3 years ago. It really is a great place to live. I am a federal employee...and it will be tough to leave when the time comes.

My biggest suggestion (and I think this has been stated)...live EAST of I-15 if at all possible. The traffic west of the highway is really bad and getting worse. The east side is basically built out and won't get much worse.

For 250K you can find a very nice house. You may not be able to live on the benches in East Layton or Kaysville for that...but you can definitely find a nice house. I live on a south facing rise just off of Hill AFB and have great views of the SL Valley and the mountains.

It's difficult to say either location is better than the other. Kaysville is a little less crowded that Layton...Layton traffic can be a bit of a bear.

Any other specific questions...fire away!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:10 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,479,512 times
Default realtor...

I almost forgot...if you are in need of a realtor...please contact me privately. I have someone really great! Hes not an uncle/brother/wife or anything like that either

Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 13,798 times
Default I'm in the same boat now...

We are looking to move to Layton or Kaysville over Christmas break and need to know how to find rental houses, other than craigslist, and especially- which are the best elementary schools? If anyone knows the boundaries for the elem schools and if any/which are on the year round cycles PLEASE let me know!!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,486,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randjkelley View Post
We are looking to move to Layton or Kaysville over Christmas break and need to know how to find rental houses, other than craigslist, and especially- which are the best elementary schools? If anyone knows the boundaries for the elem schools and if any/which are on the year round cycles PLEASE let me know!!
The only year round elementary that I know of is Lincoln Elementary. It is located on Antelope Drive, but I'm not sure of the boundaries. You could go to Davis County School District's website for that information.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 13,798 times
thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area