Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,266 times

Advertisements

So many of you that have kept up with me on here know that my boyfriend is in the restaurant industry. Back in Oklahoma, he worked at a fine dining establishment called Mahogany. His good friend is the kitchen manager there and is an excellent chef and they have been talking about partnering to open some sort of restaurant. It probably wouldn't be in Oklahoma, but more likely here in Utah, since we just moved here and all...... What kind of an establishment would you personally like to see? My thoughts are to have something upscale, but not so upscale its unaffordable to the majority of the population, so something in between casual and fine dining. Somewhere you'd like to take someone out for date night or a special occaission. I know that everything here is family focused, but even the most dedicated parent relishes an adult night out. What are your thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks in advance for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,591,164 times
One that doesn't allow children under 12.

One where the parking lot is within close distance to the front door. Rather than one that looks pretty from the street while the customers have to walk through an icy parking lot to reach the entrance.

One with ample, free parking.

One where the employees are focused on making the restaurant run well rather than socializing with fellow employees.

I know a lot of people like sushi/shushimi or whatever. I'm not one of them.

Consider looking into a liquor license BEFORE you commit to opening a restaurant. I think they're limited and are allotted based on population.

Good luck to you and your boyfriend. I hope your business endeavor is successful.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,754,932 times
I will give a very high 5 to the 2 posters before me. Indeed we need MORE adult dining places. There are more than enough for those that wish to drag their 6 screaming kids to and place their strollers in the isles blocking ones ability to walk to their table. Yeah, I'm all over this one. Please do bring it here. I'll go purposely on that premise alone. Oh and although there is not really such a thing as disallowing children of certain ages per se, if the menu is adjusted accordingly (no kiddie or portioned menus that would attract said crowd) I would love to see that age group be 19+.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I think I heard on the news in NOv that the state was out of liquor licenses. That will limit your options. Research how hard it is to get one before you get too far into this.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 PM

We will definitely look into it, and this little enterprise probably will not happen anytime very soon. Mike still lives in OK and they are just in the planning stages of putting together a business plan and a menu proposal. Thanks for the great comments and keep them coming if you think of anything else

Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM

183 posts, read 801,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
So many of you that have kept up with me on here know that my boyfriend is in the restaurant industry. Back in Oklahoma, he worked at a fine dining establishment called Mahogany. His good friend is the kitchen manager there and is an excellent chef and they have been talking about partnering to open some sort of restaurant. It probably wouldn't be in Oklahoma, but more likely here in Utah, since we just moved here and all...... What kind of an establishment would you personally like to see? My thoughts are to have something upscale, but not so upscale its unaffordable to the majority of the population, so something in between casual and fine dining. Somewhere you'd like to take someone out for date night or a special occaission. I know that everything here is family focused, but even the most dedicated parent relishes an adult night out. What are your thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks in advance for the input
"Mahogany"...that is in Tulsa, isn't it? If it is the same one, I have have been there several times and it is fabulous! Small world.

Being a southerner, I'd like to see more real southern comfort food around. BBQ, ribs, coleslaw, baked beans, mac n' cheese, corn on the cob, biscuits, mashed potatoes n' gravy, lemon icebox pie, sweet tea, etc. I rarely eat any of that stuff when I go to visit my family because it is all so heavy...but then I miss it when it's not around. We've tried a couple of places in SLC, but nothing seems to measure up to the stuff we find in the south.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyBlu View Post
"Mahogany"...that is in Tulsa, isn't it? If it is the same one, I have have been there several times and it is fabulous! Small world.

Being a southerner, I'd like to see more real southern comfort food around. BBQ, ribs, coleslaw, baked beans, mac n' cheese, corn on the cob, biscuits, mashed potatoes n' gravy, lemon icebox pie, sweet tea, etc. I rarely eat any of that stuff when I go to visit my family because it is all so heavy...but then I miss it when it's not around. We've tried a couple of places in SLC, but nothing seems to measure up to the stuff we find in the south.
Janey, you are speaking my langauge! I love southern food, and if I could make them work some of that into a menu I would be very happy! There are two Mahogany's. One in Tulsa, and one in OKC, and I think their food is fabulous too! If you are ever up towards Ogden check out Soul and Bones on 25th street. I really liked their BBQ. I'm pretty sure the guy is from Louisiana because there is definitely a cajun flair to his food. The only thing that I didn't really like was that his BBQ was very thick and I prefer a thinner sauce, though it still tasted great.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 AM

139 posts, read 501,501 times
Default SLC needs another franchise!

Ok...just kidding...ANYTHING but another franchise!!!!!

SLC needs a good bbq/southern comfort food restaurant! Home made mac and cheese, pecan pie, chicken fried steak, bbq...real bbq...not some grilled piece of meat smothered in KC Masterpiece!

Of course, if you could put it by a hospital, so I don't have so far to drive after my heart attack from all the grease in southern comfort food...that'd be even better!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamikefoster View Post
Ok...just kidding...ANYTHING but another franchise!!!!!

SLC needs a good bbq/southern comfort food restaurant! Home made mac and cheese, pecan pie, chicken fried steak, bbq...real bbq...not some grilled piece of meat smothered in KC Masterpiece!

Of course, if you could put it by a hospital, so I don't have so far to drive after my heart attack from all the grease in southern comfort food...that'd be even better!

yes, no more franchises please! It's been very difficult up here in Layton and Ogden to find local spots that are worth going to. I've found a couple, but I'm used to a big selection of local fare. I guess in SLC it's probably a little bit better, but probably not much. So let see so far I have:

southern/comfort food
cajun/seafood
adult atmosphere
I think we could handle that......lol. There is a restaurant in OKC called Nonna's that I think I'd like to model the atmosphere after. They have valet parking and entrees in the 12 to 17 dollar range. Upstairs they have the "purple bar" which specializes in all kinds of martinis and they often have local music playing up there on the weekends. I like the idea of having an eatery downstairs and a socializing space upstairs. What do you guys think?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
yes, no more franchises please! It's been very difficult up here in Layton and Ogden to find local spots that are worth going to. I've found a couple, but I'm used to a big selection of local fare. I guess in SLC it's probably a little bit better, but probably not much. So let see so far I have:

southern/comfort food
cajun/seafood
adult atmosphere
I think we could handle that......lol. There is a restaurant in OKC called Nonna's that I think I'd like to model the atmosphere after. They have valet parking and entrees in the 12 to 17 dollar range. Upstairs they have the "purple bar" which specializes in all kinds of martinis and they often have local music playing up there on the weekends. I like the idea of having an eatery downstairs and a socializing space upstairs. What do you guys think?
.................................................. ..............................................

I myself find the model of the British or Irish Pub to be a good set-up for a restaurant. We have a few microbreweries in Salt Lake such as Squatter's and we have Rooster's in Ogden (and now in Layton). Another one based on this model I love is MacCool's (located in Salt Lake on Foothill and in Layton as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area