U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 AM

360 posts, read 1,109,915 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't classify SLC as all that big, and I'm sure St. Louis is much larger in terms of population, geographical size, etc. You should do a check on the most recent demographics for the city proper, remember the city is only from about 2100 S northward till you hit the mountains, everything south of there are suburbs and other cities. Anyone into the singles scene needs to be downtown SLC, or at least close to the TRAX line that goes downtown. If you can't live downtown, go just east around Liberty Park, 9th East, etc. I would prefer PC anytime, but is the expense worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:13 AM

90 posts, read 231,615 times
The drive to Duchesne is NOT that bad. My family has 10 acres out there and I used to drive out there almost every weekend, and we often spent New Years out there (it's very cold tho!). You can do it in ~2 hours. The worst part of the drive (in winter) will be going up Daniel's Canyon from Heber to Strawberry reservoir. Since not much sun hits the roadway here, it's prone to black ice. Next potential problem will be in the Strawberry basin itself, where high winds often drift significant amounts of snow onto the roadway. As for living arrangements, I would highly suggest East Millcreek, since it's an easy hop onto I-80 an up Parley's canyon from there. If you can locate near Wasatch Blvd or Foothill Blvd near I-80 you're commute will be significantly cut, since city traffic from anywhere else in town is just going to be plain awful! You might consider Heber city. It's MUCH more affordable than Park City, and it's "just around the corner" from Park City. I know several people that work in Park City that choose to live in Heber. Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM

10 posts, read 17,649 times
I would look in Sugar House. It's not a separate city, it's actually just a neighborhood on the south side of Salt Lake City. The great thing about Sugar House is that it's relatively non-Mormon, and it's in the center of everything. If you hop on I-80, which runs through the neighborhood, you can drive to Park City in 15 minutes, or Snowbird and Alta resorts in about 25-30 minutes. It's also close to downtown, and home to the biggest park in the city (great for outdoor sports/jogging/biking). There's a college in the neighborhood, which translates into a higher percentage of bars, coffee shops, and retail than you'd find in other areas of the Wasatch Front. It has a nice little library, a Whole Foods grocery store, and one of the few liquor stores in town (you have to go here to buy everything from Mike's Hard Lemonade to Wine).

I moved experimented with living in a couple different areas of SLC, and I found Sugar House to be the next best thing to living in Park City (and way more affordable).

Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM

360 posts, read 1,109,915 times
Ummm, I don't know about a higher percentage of bars in Sugarhouse, I know of that little narrow one off Highland, then there's Fiddlers Elbow. I can't recall any others in Sugarhouse, but it does have a lot of retail, but I'm not a fan of the big parking lot chain retail shopping.

Once the 11th/Highland/21st building came down, IMO Sugarhouse lost a lot of its appeal.

I do like the idea of the Sugarhouse Trolley, hope it will happen someday, I think the area is perfect for a Transit Oriented Development (TOD).

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,402 times
Hi I am also moving to Salt Lake soon. My friends live up there and they said for me, I'm 34 not really a drinker & don't smoke. I like to snowboard and hike. She said Sugarhouse is the way to go. Even though I don't go to clubs really. Did you see all the cheaper places I'm from Vegas so the rent is crazy here. I love the prices up there and I can't wait to move. Hey good luck to you hope you love it. aimee

Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

23 posts, read 73,263 times
Hi, any updates on the variety of bars/coffee/restaurants in Sugarhouse? A year ago, 5280milehiguy said:

Quote:
Ummm, I don't know about a higher percentage of bars in Sugarhouse, I know of that little narrow one off Highland, then there's Fiddlers Elbow. I can't recall any others in Sugarhouse, but it does have a lot of retail, but I'm not a fan of the big parking lot chain retail shopping.

Once the 11th/Highland/21st building came down, IMO Sugarhouse lost a lot of its appeal.
Thanks, TT

Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

39 posts, read 101,284 times
Check out Fiddler's Elbow, more of a sports bar, then there's the Tap Room, which is a pretty cool little (tiny) place with a jukebox on the wall and friendly bartenders. There are a couple of others around, but in reality, bars are spread around in the city, there's no one "destination" for the night life. There's a bit more concentration downtown. There are coffee houses all over the place, and yes, a decent variety of restaurants right here in Sugar House. Thing is, it's a 5-10 minute drive to downtown, as well as to most other areas. Hell, even Park City is only about a 25 min drive from my driveway. You don't feel constricted to one area like you do in larger cities with traffic problems and sprawl (though there IS a fair amount of sprawl here). I moved here from Memphis a couple of years ago, and I'm a liberal, agnostic, whathaveyou. The acclimation did take about a year, maybe a year and a half, I'm not gonna lie, but once you develop a social circle of sorts, you find it's real EASY living here. PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by carpetbagger; 03-04-2010 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: edited for typo

Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM

27,006 posts, read 28,862,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
Check out Fiddler's Elbow...
I was trying to remember the name of a place in Sugarhouse a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking it was the Fiddler's Elbow! Is it just west of 11th East/Highland Drive on the north side of 21st South? If it is, they had the most delicious shrimp tacos I've ever tasted!

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-04-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM

39 posts, read 101,284 times
It is right there, behind Salt Lake Pizza & Pasta. They usually have above average to very good food for a bar.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 13,517 times
Default SLC young people

I'm 23 and went to Westminster in Sugarhouse for a semester. I now live in the Avenues in a little apartment. I would NOT venture anywhere into the suburbs if you are not LDS. I grew up here and the further into the suburbs you get, the worse the Mormon influence becomes. For renting a house I would go for Sugarhouse or around Foothill drive and the University of Utah. I love the Avenues where I live now, but renting a big house might be a little harder here...what I looked at before I found this apartment was pretty limited. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area