U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM

13,144 posts, read 21,650,024 times

Advertisements

http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/council/agendas/2007agendas/February/021307A3.pdf (broken link)

I was reading about projections for future growth and urban development around the Wastatch Front. It appears we should expect another 1 million people in Salt Lake area in the next 30 years; two-thirds of them children of current residents.

What do you imagine the future of Salt Lake will be like? Where are we gonna put a million more people? How will Salt Lake change, and how will it stay the same?

I can't help but see a future Wasatch Front that closely resembles today's Southern California. Can we escape that fate? It does seem there is gonna be a big push for more light rail and more dense, mixed use development...it's a start, at least.

What do ya'll think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,096,067 times
Not sure it will happen as there isn't enough water to go around. Or else all the crops will be gone due to their water being cleaned and used for people.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM

3,182 posts, read 6,236,343 times
If I were to still be alive, I would certainly hope it would allow me to be somewhere ELSE than here should that be the areas fate. I want some place with trees, fresh air (something you could most certainly say goodbye to if your prediction comes true) and not so much traffic. I'll have to start looking

Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 PM

5,846 posts, read 12,934,784 times
Question:
With Utah only recently passing the 2 million people mark,
how long ago was it when Utah only had one (1) million people ?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM

3,182 posts, read 6,236,343 times
When I lived here in the late 70's they were at about 1.3 million. That was pretty tolerable. No real crime, no gangs, no traffic jams. Ahhh the good old days....

Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,649,213 times
So if I decide to come out to join you fine folks it'll be a million and one?

Foregoing recruiting any family and/or friends of course...

Two thirds being children of curent residents is certainly a vote of confidence for the area. But the valley had better get a "Green" program going now, imagine the inversion, ski lift lines, trampled hiking trails, over fished waters, etc. if they don't.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,649,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
When I lived here in the late 70's they were at about 1.3 million. That was pretty tolerable. No real crime, no gangs, no traffic jams. Ahhh the good old days....
I grew up in Olympus Hills in the late '50's through late '60's. The 1 millionth Utahan was around 1966 as I remember. Salt Lake was a wonderful place to be a kid back then, even as a "gentile".

Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM

7,866 posts, read 8,499,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/council/agendas/2007agendas/February/021307A3.pdf (broken link)

I was reading about projections for future growth and urban development around the Wastatch Front. It appears we should expect another 1 million people in Salt Lake area in the next 30 years; two-thirds of them children of current residents.

What do you imagine the future of Salt Lake will be like? Where are we gonna put a million more people? How will Salt Lake change, and how will it stay the same?

I can't help but see a future Wasatch Front that closely resembles today's Southern California. Can we escape that fate? It does seem there is gonna be a big push for more light rail and more dense, mixed use development...it's a start, at least.

What do ya'll think?
You would need about 15 million more people to get like So Cal.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
You would need about 15 million more people to get like So Cal.
and a beach.

But we also are crammed into a much smaller area than SoCal.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
So if I decide to come out to join you fine folks it'll be a million and one?

Foregoing recruiting any family and/or friends of course...

Two thirds being children of curent residents is certainly a vote of confidence for the area. But the valley had better get a "Green" program going now, imagine the inversion, ski lift lines, trampled hiking trails, over fished waters, etc. if they don't.
You might wanna consider going on to Oregon. There's nothing to see here, move along...

But yea, it's already like that. I don't even go hiking in the Wasatch Mountains much anymore because you are likely to run into more people (and trash) on the trail than in a city park. Luckily I know of some good open spaces more or less nearby that are still undiscovered, at least for now.

I was wishing I had a fire department issue mask and O2 tank to walk down the street during this winter's inversions too. I am not looking forward to the results of throwing another million people into the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area