U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 AM

314 posts, read 891,531 times

Advertisements

When looking at real estate in the mountains of Utah, I was struck by the lack of humidifiers built into the A/C systems. With the extreme dry conditions, I would have thought that they would be a given. What am I missing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM

3,126 posts, read 6,141,795 times
As my former builder said a LOT when in the process of building our home, and our questioning about items we wanted to add "oh that's an upgrade!" Indeed it seemed that everything we wanted was an "upgrade" and believe me we added a lot of those compared to the so called standard items. Nope, humidifiers are indeed an additional item most folks just don't ante up for. We knew all about the climate and how dry it can be, so we opted to get a Aprilaire unit built onto our AC unit. Glad we did as well. I have no issues in our home with dry sinuses and skin and such. Worth every penny, but I guess thats a penny most folks don't wish to spend. I DO highly recommend it however.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times
hmm, maybe it's also because the locals are used to it. I know it's dry out here but I was born and raised in Utah and have lived in just about all sections of northern Utah and I don't notice it any more than using a bit of moisturizer and chapstic.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM

19,856 posts, read 62,684,934 times
ABout 6 months after I moved here, my skin began to kick up the oil production and I no longer needed to slather on moisturizer. Also, any house with a swamp cooler has a humidifier. More efficient in this climate, IMHO.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM

3,126 posts, read 6,141,795 times
You don't want to get me started on the subject of "swamp coolers". Most are typically not maintained fastidiously which is about what it takes to avoid mold buildup as well as typical failures of the pads (which need to be replaced yearly and rarely are) the pumps that seem to always go bad, thermostats and more. They are a royal pain in the hind end if you ask me. Also when there is just about any relative humidity in the air (during more days during the summer than you can count on both hands) it results in a very muggy household, which I never cared for, and they are rendered useless to cool. Na, I'll take central air any day thanks

Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM

835 posts, read 1,967,831 times
We had a whole house humidifier installed in our house when we moved to PC-it was quite remarkable how much of a difference it made. Mr had less trouble with allergies/sinus issues, none of the shocking stuff when you hit the light switch etc.
One of the biggest differences we noticed when we put the house on the market was the condition of the wood floors. Several neighbors had wood floors installed at the same time as ours and luckily, we had no shrinkage or gaps between the planks and I really do think it was due to the humidity that we maintained year round. We had another humidifier installed in the house we moved to down here. I have not had to run it quite as much as in PC but I notice a difference even when I got to work! I love love having some humidity-and so do my hands and lips!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:36 PM

5,114 posts, read 15,873,980 times
Love my swamp cooler and my power bills during the summer. I don't use as much lotion in the summer months when the swamp is on. I have a digital thermostat so no need to switch from pump to fan. I do agree that the maintenance on the swamp coolers can get tiresome. I've never had a mold or "swamp" smell problem.

I'm considering central air just for resale value and to get rid of seasonal maintenance of the swamp. I'm going to get a humidifier on it when I buy one.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM

835 posts, read 1,967,831 times
We had central air installed at the same time as the humidifier..Swamp cooler was so loud and I thought I was going to never get a goods night sleep. Very happy with the ac and the bill was a lot lower than we thought too...

Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM

19,856 posts, read 62,684,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Love my swamp cooler and my power bills during the summer. I don't use as much lotion in the summer months when the swamp is on. I have a digital thermostat so no need to switch from pump to fan. I do agree that the maintenance on the swamp coolers can get tiresome. I've never had a mold or "swamp" smell problem.

I'm considering central air just for resale value and to get rid of seasonal maintenance of the swamp. I'm going to get a humidifier on it when I buy one.
My realtor told me it wasn't worth the cost as many people like swamp coolers. Especially in the older areas like Sugar House, 9th & 9th, etc.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM

13,144 posts, read 21,432,440 times
I like dry air. I couldn't imagine paying to make it more humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>