U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 18,981 times

Advertisements

Will be visiting Provo this upcoming weekend for a job lead. Any suggestions for "must-see" locations of any sort (dining, tourist, neighborhood, scenic, events)? Will have most of Saturday and part of Sunday. Was there about five years ago but that was work only, with no play.

Also any neighborhood recommendations to check out for possible future housing (family w/ 4 kids)? A friend liked Draper, any feedback about it?

Thanks for your ideas!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,942,223 times
I'm not sure what kind of food you're into but there is a restaurant in Provo called Los Hermanos. Great Mexican Food and their homeade salsa is the best I've ever tasted. And for scenic well Provo canyon is a beautiful drive. The mountains here are gorgeous! There's also a beautiful drive called the Nebo loop which I believe begins in Payson (just south of Provo) and ends in Nephi.

And your question about neighborhoods. Yes Draper is a nice place to live for a family but it might help more if you were more specific. Like I live in Murray and it's a really nice area, the schools are great and it's a very convenient location. Sandy would be a good choice too. There's also a newer area a bit further west called Daybreak which seems like a great neighborhood too. It all depends on what your tastes are and where you're gonna be living. If your job is gonna be in Provo then personally I would not want to commute from anywhere in the SL valley.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM

99 posts, read 237,892 times
Go up to Sundance, which is up Provo Canyon on on highway 189. It's only about 20 minutes from Provo. It is a ski resort owned by Robert Redford and he has his home up there as well. They also have a restaurant, and a little store. Park City is about 45 minutes away. If you continue up highway 189 and turn north on highway 40 in HeBer City it will take you to Park City. There are excellent restaurants up there like Cicero's, Chamayo's, etc, but a little on the expensive side. Beautiful drive though.

Personally I prefer the Alpine loop as apposed to the Nebo loop. It's closer to Provo and a lot more grand I think. Sundance is on the Alpine loop, but I think both loops are closed in the winter and I'm not sure when they open.

As far as Provo goes, I like Tucanos Brazillian Grill, China Lily, etc. There are also the typical chains restaurants in the Provo/Orem area such as PF Chang's, Chili's, Carraba's, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, etc.

Draper, Sandy, Cottonwood Heights are all nice family oriented areas. There up in Salt Lake Valley while Provo is down in Utah Valley. The commute to Provo from those areas varies depending where you live. South Jordan, Herriman, Day Break, etc. are also good areas and a little closer to Utah Valley. You can try the Lehi/American Fork area, which is even closer to Provo then those other areas. They have grown quite a bit in recent years.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 PM

19,857 posts, read 62,547,958 times
Even though this is for Provo, I am leaving it in SLC b/c of the mention of living in this valley instead of Utah valley.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Even though this is for Provo, I am leaving it in SLC b/c of the mention of living in this valley instead of Utah valley.
Oh, sorry about that, I only read the first few words of the forum title "Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County".

I don't see a forum for Utah County. Would the best place simply be under "Utah", no sub-forum?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittj View Post

Personally I prefer the Alpine loop as apposed to the Nebo loop. It's closer to Provo and a lot more grand I think. Sundance is on the Alpine loop, but I think both loops are closed in the winter and I'm not sure when they open.
Thanks. I'd love to take the drive, but don't want to risk it if the weather or road conditions are iffy. Any idea where I could call or surf to confirm road conditions?

Quote:
Draper, Sandy, Cottonwood Heights are all nice family oriented areas. There up in Salt Lake Valley while Provo is down in Utah Valley. The commute to Provo from those areas varies depending where you live. South Jordan, Herriman, Day Break, etc. are also good areas and a little closer to Utah Valley. You can try the Lehi/American Fork area, which is even closer to Provo then those other areas. They have grown quite a bit in recent years.
Looks like Herriman is 35 miles. How long of a commute daily to Provo would that take? I read it may be better heading South in the AM, North in PM. Is Daybreak relatively close to Herriman?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 AM

427 posts, read 1,240,788 times
Along with what has already been mentioned, I'd check out downtown Provo. It's not too big so you can walk around and see what's going on. There's a lot of diverse restaurants there, especially if you like foreign food of any kind. Not sure if hiking is your thing, but there's a few trails, such as the one up to the 'Y' that will give you an incredible view over the entire utah valley, lake, etc, and it's relatively short.

Draper is a city located to the north in Salt Lake County ...if you meant neighbhorhoods meaning in Provo, well, most of them are nice, especially on the east and north side.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 AM

7,855 posts, read 8,370,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpacket View Post
Is Daybreak relatively close to Herriman?
Herriman is up the hill a little more, Daybreak is closer to Bangerter HWY which connects to the 15.

They are building the Mountain View Corridor which will eventually connect to the 15 down in Lehi (Utah County). Home | MountainView Corridor

Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 PM

15,674 posts, read 27,529,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I'm not sure what kind of food you're into but there is a restaurant in Provo called Los Hermanos. Great Mexican Food and their homeade salsa is the best I've ever tasted. And for scenic well Provo canyon is a beautiful drive. The mountains here are gorgeous! There's also a beautiful drive called the Nebo loop which I believe begins in Payson (just south of Provo) and ends in Nephi..
You are correct about the Nebo Loop - it is 17 miles between Payson and Nephi. The only problem is that the Loop is probably still closed for the winter. (Do NOT cross the road closed signs as that road is not plowed all winter.)

My initial recommendation - the Timpanogos Caves - are closed until May. That is a great hike AFTER the snow is gone.

Personally, for restaurants, I would recommend Tucanos Brazillian Grill more for the theatre than the food. Most people are pretty impressed by it.

I would also recommend the BYU Creamery on 9th Ave. I have been to DOZENS of on-campus dairy stores. BYU's is one of the best. Great ice cream and enthusiastic service (if not the most polished).

Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM

99 posts, read 237,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpacket View Post
Thanks. I'd love to take the drive, but don't want to risk it if the weather or road conditions are iffy. Any idea where I could call or surf to confirm road conditions?

Looks like Herriman is 35 miles. How long of a commute daily to Provo would that take? I read it may be better heading South in the AM, North in PM. Is Daybreak relatively close to Herriman?
The roads will be fine if it's not snowing. They clear the roads all the way up to Sundance. You'll be able to get up there just fine, but that's as far as you'll be able to go because the Alpine loop is permanently closed every winter whether it's snowing or not.

From Herriman it would be about 40-45 minutes. You are right, traffic is better heading south in the AM and north in the PM. Herriman might be a little too far to the west, in my opinion, because it's kind of out of the way. South Jordan, Sandy, Draper and Lehi might be better choices as far as the commute goes because the interstate runs through those cities.

My brother lived in South Jordan for about 10 years, and commuted everyday to Utah Valley Regional Medical center, which is in Provo. He never complained about it, so I don't think it's that bad. There are a lot of people who commute from the Salt Lake valley down to Provo, but not enough to affect traffic too much .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>