Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,747 times

Advertisements

What experiences good or bad have you had with auto repair shops? I personally have had some really bad ones. What things do you think need to change and do you think certain people get taken advantage of more than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:24 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,247,180 times
I've got a car that I don't use too much, so I am not in a hurry to fix it. I know its got a oil leak problem and its getting older, so I took it to 3 different places for a estimate, and got 3 totally different prices for 3 totally different things wrong.

So either my car has everything wrong with it and every mechanic missed 2/3s of the problem, or there are a lot of totally worthless mechanics here.

I have a friend who tells me I should take my car to his brother's shop in Layton. Its called Tunex. I might try there next.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 120,811 times
I am very happy with my mechanic. He is very honest and does an excellent job.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:39 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,445,972 times
Max's

(801) 484-2388

1669 Major St

Dunno if he is still there but this was the best mechanic I ever had. I do most of my work on my cars myself, but for things I could not figure out or were not safe to do at home, I brought to him. I hope he is still in business. Honest, and affordable.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 PM

77 posts, read 282,455 times
I'm always surprised by the lack of research a lot of people give their choice of mechanic. When I chose mine, I looked for things like are they AAA certified, are the technicians ASE-certified, member of the BBB, etc. And also important, does the lobby look clean and are these certificates proudly displayed- that tells you a lot.

I settled with Certified Automotive on West Temple in SLC. Downside is they are higher priced than other shops, but I'd rather pay more and have it done right then go to Jiffy Lube and have some high-school kid screwing up my oil change (or uh, Big O Tires completely screw up my alignment- another story!). There have been two times when I asked Certified to check something and they could have taken advantage of the situation but instead told me there was no problem and I needed no work done. THAT is a sign of a good shop. Recommend them!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,247,180 times
Thats great. The 3 places I mentioned have entire walls dedicated to how certified they are. For what thats worth.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,712,780 times
I'm a wuss - since my car is newish and has less than 15K miles, it goes to the dealrship. I totally trust Nate Wade Subaru to do whatever it needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area