U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 AM

18 posts, read 41,941 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Salt Lake City from San Diego for a job opportunity (and help with the cost of living). I am likely the opposite of what people usually ask, but I am getting edgy on what seems like I might be making a big mistake.

I am actually LOOKING for Pro-Mormon (my family is LDS), family friendly, conservative areas to raise my 2 year old. But every time I read different forums, and whatnot, it seems to be all about getting the Mormons out of power and how liberal Salt Lake is becoming (or already is) and how it is a matter of time before the LDS influence will be gone and the place will become another San Francisco.

So am I wrong? What part of Salt Lake is considered liberal? Is it just actual Salt Lake itself which is only like 190,000 people? Or does that include the areas like West Jordon, Sandy, Bountiful, etc. etc?

This is a big move for us, and I kinda want a place to hang my had for many years to come, but if it is all about driving the Mormons out, I'm a bit concerned...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 AM

146 posts, read 475,121 times
Utah will always be Mormon and politically controlled by Mormons, it's in the the birthrate.

Once you get out of SLC/South SLC proper, then it is very Mormon. It isn't as conservative as Utah County or rural Utah but compared to the rest of the country it is still very conservative.

West Jordan is great for you, same with Sandy and Bountiful. Bountiful probably fits the most of what you are looking for, same with the rest of Davis County up to Layton. If you are open to driving 45 minutes or more to get to SLC check out Morgan County. It is as Mormon as Utah County, but rural, with good schools and close to amazing skiing. The golf course is always empty. There's a lot of really good people out there and the lifestyle is very active and fun. It's kind of a Mormon version of Summit County, if you squint, and go back to the 70s.

The main thing is just get your kids involved in sports and church, and they will be fine. Utah is a very active state and if your kids sit around the house playing video games, that just doesn't fly here.

Good luck to you, you will be fine.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 AM

139 posts, read 477,402 times
SLC becoming another San Francisco? I've never heard that one...but it's a classic!

Even the most liberal areas of SLC are pretty mainstream by most standards...no worries, Utah as a state is not changing it's political stripes anytime soon.

SLC has some liberal areas like Sugar House, and the Avenues, but those areas represent a very small part of the greater SLC area. And once you get out of those areas, it gets pretty conservative pretty fast.

SLC as a city, is less than 50% LDS, but once you hit the burbs, Murray, Sandy, Draper, South Jordan, etc...the rates change...but religion aside, socially, SLC is still pretty conservative and will never be like San Francisco (both the good parts and the not so good parts)...not even close.

If you are looking for family friendly, conservative, you'll find it in any corner of Utah.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Just seems so odd to me. The LDS Church founded the city, yet it's like some people are surprised the Church has any influence.... It's like going to Rome then complaining about the Catholic influence.

Just so weird to me.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM

146 posts, read 475,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskains View Post
Just seems so odd to me. The LDS Church founded the city, yet it's like some people are surprised the Church has any influence.... It's like going to Rome then complaining about the Catholic influence.

Just so weird to me.
Yea, what's strange is some people do develop an US vs Them mentality and get really hateful and angry.

It can be bizarro world at times.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM

427 posts, read 1,251,877 times
Salt Lake City proper is considered to lean more liberally (so yes, the city of 182,000). For instance, the mayors are always democrats, and you'll find a lot more tolerance socially (gays, races, etc.) But there's a lot of LDS people in the area as well. So you'll fit in anywhere. In SLC proper you'll just notice a lot of people who aren't exactly like you. I mean there's no riots going on in the streets, or mormons physically fighting with nonmormons or anything like that.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 PM

5,856 posts, read 12,979,603 times
Maybe we should redefine liberal (Utah style)....

Liberal = accepting other people's views

If you agree, then not so scary ?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 AM

Moderator cut: off topic
So are Utah liberals different?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-19-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Moderator cut: against TOS Anyways, I am going to be there in June. I am targeting Sandy or Draper..... But I have been coming across some real dives. I am trying to keep it near $1000 a month for now until I get the lay of the land and find my more perm home.

We are also looking at Happy Valley, specifically Lehi, UT.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-19-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM

835 posts, read 1,984,245 times
If your job is in SLC, you may want to rethink living that far south. Granted the traffic is not crazy compared to San Diego-but for Utah, it can be rather heinous as you will be driving with lots of other people coming North for work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area