Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM

410 posts, read 923,218 times

Advertisements

Doing some research for a BFF who is in need of a bridge for a wiggly tooth. She has dental insurance but her regular dentist is charging a pretty high fee that she can't cover her portion without affecting her budget. She's a hard-working single mom with a mortgage. Are there dentists in SA that offer some type of financing through their own office aside from CareCredit and similar programs. Am eager to hear from folks so I can pass this on. God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Rarely will you find an office that offers in-house credit, in fact I cant think of a single one. Many others offer in addition to carecredit, Capital One.

Pat Booker Dental
Toepperwein Dental
Perry Fikes

Are three that I can think of off the top of my head...

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
I don't have a current solution to her dilemma but perhaps she can participate in a FSA with work in the next enrollment period.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Also wanted to mention the following that accept patients with limited income...

Communicare
CommuniCare Health Centers | Services | Dental (http://www.communicaresa.org/home/services/dental.html - broken link)

CentroMed South Park Dental
CentroMed - El Centro del Barrio (http://www.centromedsa.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cmd=loc&id=4 - broken link)

Kaplan College (formerly SACMDA) Takes patients in their onsite school clinic
4205 San Pedro Avenue
San Antonio, TX 78212-1837
(210) 733-0777

Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,543,835 times
There ain't no way out. I have been spending my whole life trying to pay off my Medical bills...You never will pay them off..get used to it..Life in America! If you do it right the bill collectors can wake you so you wont be late for work..ask them about that!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
If you do it right the bill collectors can wake you so you wont be late for work..ask them about that!
Fortunately, Texas has some of the most laxed laws for consumers who have debt in our state. We're very lucky!

Also if you send a cease and desist letter to debt collectors, by law, they are required to stop calling you by cell phone or even at your work number and can only communicate with you via postal mail if that is what you ask of them.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Ironic that you mentioned Care Credit IE GE MONEY! Omg! A friend was showing me her daughter's bill and what a night mare.

When she applied, it was over the phone and the money was sent to the doctor. She paid her bill for months (ie...she is young-ish) and didn't understand interest rates etc. She originally borrowed $1000 ...was switched to paperless billing by a notice...not via a request (ie....she had her payment deducted monthly).

Recently she started getting phone called from creditors about this account. Even paying the minimum payment on a regular basis, she now owes $1200 after two years??? Her mother was trying to help her figure it out. It seems they did not deduct her payment every month and the late charge was MORE than her payment. Plus there were some random charges for $15 they cannot explain. AND the finance charge was almost equal to her minimum payment.

She showed me the back of the bill. I says in tiny print....Amount borrowed $1000...."if you pay the minimum amount every month, it will take 13 years to pay this off and your total payment will be $3000+" (can't remember the specifics.)

Hey....that mom was PO'd and I don't blame her. They refused to refund the late payments saying it was her responsibility to make sure the payment was deducted....PLUS made it impossible to find out the mystery charges. These kind of companies should be shut down or made illegal. They prey on elderly, innocent and uneducated people.

I'm just saying....seeing it with my own eyes...DON'T EVER DO BUSINESS WITH CARE CREDIT/GE MONEY.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Have her file a complaint with the Texas AG's Consumer Affairs office....

Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm just saying....seeing it with my own eyes...DON'T EVER DO BUSINESS WITH CARE CREDIT/GE MONEY.
I've used Care Credit before and had a good experience. I got the invisalign braces with it (the remainder that my dental insurance at work didn't cover). I guess I signed up at the right time because they had a 18 months no interest promo and I was able to pay it off before the end of the promo.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I've used Care Credit before and had a good experience. I got the invisalign braces with it (the remainder that my dental insurance at work didn't cover). I guess I signed up at the right time because they had a 18 months no interest promo and I was able to pay it off before the end of the promo.
I suppose there have to be success stories out there otherwise they would be out of business.
"Mom" said they will call her starting at 8am until after dinner and use several numbers all day. She googled all the numbers and there were hundreds of comments similar to hers. I'm sure it's a hard lesson learned by her daughter to watch her bank account and how to build good credit. Life just shouldn't be so complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio