Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM

144 posts, read 360,232 times

Advertisements

Hello:

All of the previous threads about exterior painting contractors seem to be fairly old, so I'll ask if anyone has any recommendations for 2010.

We are looking for someone who knows how to do good prepwork, which will likely involve a lot of stripping away of old paint from wood siding, and repair of wood trimwork. Experience with older homes is preferable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Wow, 43 views and no rec's... That doesn't bode well... :\

Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Tim Larrinaga did my house and his work is good.

830 931 4295

Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 PM

103 posts, read 489,809 times
sent ya a dm

Old 06-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Thanks very much guys!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,165 times
Default Older home and prep work

If your home in built in the early 70s or older you would want to make sure the painting company has a certified renovator. The laws changed earlier this year to protect the home owners and their children (and painters themselves) when working inside or outside of the home. The risk is from lead paint.
Angie's list is a good source for painters.
I hope that helps.
Charlie

Old 06-24-2010, 08:12 AM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies List View Post
If your home in built in the early 70s or older you would want to make sure the painting company has a certified renovator. The laws changed earlier this year to protect the home owners and their children (and painters themselves) when working inside or outside of the home. The risk is from lead paint.
Angie's list is a good source for painters.
I hope that helps.
Charlie
My experience with Angie's List has been horrible. Until they actually check that the people on there are licensed, it's no better than finding a guy in the parking lot of home depot.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:04 PM

I have to agree — I've been completely unimpressed with Angie's List. It's a great idea, but it's never lived up to its possibilities.

As far as I know, you're not required to have a certified renovator (for lead remediation) unless you're planning to go back down to the original bare wood (or other material).

Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,165 times
I have heard mostly good things on Angie's list, but you are probably right you'll still get ones that are over hyped. The lead paint issue is if you are going to disturb the lead paint, so it doesn't necessarilly going to the bare wood point. An example would be the house has 4 coats of paint and the bottom two are lead paint. If you are going to do some sanding and scraping you would not go to the bare wood but still hit some lead paint.
Minor clarification, but something to consider. I would always be more concerned if the work was on the inside more than the outside.
I know someone that is a certified renovator so that is where I got the info. Painters do have a bad reputation and there are few good ones and more not so good.
Thanks,
Charlie

Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
I have recently had extensive inside and outside painting done on my house of 30 years. I talked with many painting contractors who dicovered exterior decay requiring replacement of wood/siding etc. All of them suggested I get seperate quotes from carpenters for this. A freind suggested I talk with his residential contractor of choice, M an M painting and construction. These guys were great. They werte not the cheapest I found but they took care of every thing from painting, wood replacement and a new concrete walk way. They even welded a broken part of my metal fence with no charge. They cleaned up each day and were great to work with. Very knowledgeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio