Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:08 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times

Advertisements

I would much rather have my tax money go towards trying to educate the young than to sustain them in the future because they couldn't get a job!

It is an investment in the future, and there are no 'Taj Mahals' being built; just solid educational facilities for the growing community. Those "retired people" have reaped the benefits over their lives, why do they expect to be exempt from contributing to it in the future? Society has its costs, and it is our civil obligation to ensure it gets funded. Those who feel they shouldn't have to because they are "old" or don't have children are the spoiled ones...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
But how many students do you think is reasonable? The elementary schools outside 1604/281 all hold (and many are at) 1,200 students. If you built one centralized campus just for the 78258/59 zip code, the capacity would need to be 10,800 students (1,200 students x the 9 (existing and about to open) elementary schools in '58 and '59).

Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
M2...holdonacottonpickinminute thar, son...

Let's look at this: We had 4 kids. Our average school taxes are currently $3500/year. The kids have been out of school now for 13 years. At SOME point, folks have "paid their dues". And if your position is that they have NEVER "paid their dues", then be prepared for a helluva backlash at some point in the future - because when they use bond money for "technology" purchases (let's even say its' 20-year bonds) on computers that MAY last 5 years...then they ARE wasting money - because what's going to pay for the replacement 'puters in 6 years - another bond?!?? And while I understand a structure being aesthetically pleasing, I do NOT believe they need the level of "trim-out" that they are receiving in the NSISD....

Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Sorry, TRN, having been on the inside of the bond issue; I know for a fact that not only is the money necessary, but it is well-spent.

Secondly, there is no point of having "paid their dues;" the community always benefits from educated generations.

Thirdly, considering the size and construction of the buildings, they aren't overly priced. Most elementary schools are under $20M, middle schools below $40M, and high schools under $90M. Try building a facility with the necessary requirements for below that...

And the facade does not add much to the price. Plus, we are expecting the students to take pride in, and care of, their schools. Do you really think they'd do that with cinderblock walls?

If there are places for government spending cuts, it shouldn't be in our schools. If anything, it is the one area that provides returns on the investment of tax dollars. I don't see that coming from welfare, food stamps or unemployment payments. Those were meant for individuals who really need it, but in many cases those are dollars going to people who are not motivated to earn the money themselves.

People constantly complain about their children not getting opportunities to better themselves, but there is no better chance to do so than in our public schools. Unfortunately, it is another instance where it is simply a matter of apathy on the parents part; but it still doesn't negate the fact that our schools are a necessary and vital part of bettering the future for everyone.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Ok, there are a lot of empty building. I remember my grandpa travel several miles to go to elementry school and never thought twice about it. If a school is not within three blocks of your home they need to build another one. Ok they are laying off teachers so who are going to teach our future? Should retired people have to pay 3500.00 a year when they have no kids in school. What programs do the school district have for retired people since they pay so much. They should be able to go to the school cafeteria an at least get a free lunch

Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
If a school is not within three blocks of your home they need to build another one.
Simply put, they build new schools because the present ones fill up. The population density in this area of town is that high.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
If you are unhappy with the teacher layoffs, talk to your state legislators. They are the ones who control the appropriations. Once they are legislated and passed, that's it.... until the next time. All of this state money is going to lord only knows where... probably to supplement unemployment and health care for people who are here illegally. It's frustrating as hell.....

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
There are some schools in communities that offer hot meals to the community during the summer. for obvious reasons you would not want anyone walking in during the school year to "get a meal" just cause they pay taxes.

What else do they benefit you ask...how about youth who will be educated, employed one day to have ss taken out to fund programs like medicare/social security etc. How about the ability to live in a community that is educated instead of among a bunch of gang banging thugs.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
If you are unhappy with the teacher layoffs, talk to your state legislators. They are the ones who control the appropriations. Once they are legislated and passed, that's it.... until the next time. All of this state money is going to lord only knows where... probably to supplement unemployment and health care for people who are here illegally. It's frustrating as hell.....

well said. tried to rep ya, but gotta spread the love..........

Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
What else do they benefit you ask...how about youth who will be educated, employed one day to have ss taken out to fund programs like medicare/social security etc. How about the ability to live in a community that is educated instead of among a bunch of gang banging thugs.
What's really frustrating is that the gang banging thugs have the schools to go to, but they dont because they aren't made to. Back when I went to school, if I skipped out I would get a whoopin'. I didn't even skip out of Senior Skip Day. And "dropping out" was not an option.... and I'm so thankful for the way things "used to be".

What the heck is wrong with people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio