Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times

Advertisements

We all have our share of cleaning tips, stain and odor removal solutions some which are simple home remedies, that we can share with each other.

I would like to ask for some help concerning a carpet odor. Aprox 2-3 weeks ago or Son's Gilfriend borrowed our Hoover Carpet Cleaner due to dog urine staine on her carpet. Well everything worked out fine. The other day I spilled a few drops of coffee on the Master Bedroom carpet and now it has a pet urine odor (although slight). As far as I can tell the brushes must have had a urine residual on them and it transfered into our carpet. I have removed the brushes and gave them a bleach bath /rinse and cleaned the carpets again. Still the odor lingers. *I use very little shampoo when I use the carpet cleaner since I have read and have been told that the oils is some shampoo's attract dirt.

Someone suggested a 50-50 solution of white vinegar and water in the dispensing tank and after applying it allow it to sIt for 30 plus miniutes. Then come back and extract the mixture.

The problem is wide spread since I did not only concentrate on the coffee dribbles but cleaned over other areas as well. I thought what the heck, I have a full dispensing tank so why not use it. Boy did I screw up.

Does anyone have any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 05:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Vinegar?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:24 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Have you tried replacing the filter on the vacuum? Pet odors are easily trapped in the filter. Check it out and see if the odor is coming from that.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:44 AM

25 posts, read 63,473 times
You can use dilute ammonia containing products, dilute white vinegar or chlorophyll on your carpet, to remove the dog urine's odor. White vinegar will also help you to remove the coffee stains from your carpet.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times
There is a local soap company, Acme Soap Company, that sells something called smoke-be-gone (something like that.) Works on all odors... even skunk! Maybe try them... I believe you could buy a gallon and dilute. Call before you go so they'll have it ready.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Dog Urine: Clean & Remove Dog Urine in Carpet FREE Recipe

http://factoidz.com/emergency-carpet-cleaning-tips/

http://www.amazon.com/Carpet-Fresh-V...6917762&sr=8-1 ???

Last edited by elnina; 06-18-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 AM

420 posts, read 1,155,214 times
Go find one of the enzyme action pet urine cleaners. They chemically breakdown the component of the urine to insure there is no remaining smell and no smell to attract your pet to wet there again. If you hosed your floor with a pet urine smell your dog will now think that is an ok place to go.

Some of these products can be put into the water container of a carpet machine. Just go to one of the pet stores and they should be able ot help you pick out a good product.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Vinegar is excellent and will not harm the carpet. It does have a pungent smell at first, but it quickly dissipates once it's dry. If you only spread it from the brush, it may not be deep in the carpet. That would be the safest and least complicated thing to try.

There are a ton on products that claim to get out pet odors. Find a pet store or cleaning store or possibly Home depot and get a black light. It's hard to see in the daylight unless it's really a powerful light. Some are hand held wands and are very inexpensive. Place a post-it note any place "urine" glows so you can focus on the problem areas. The darker the room the better!

Good luck....this is a really tough problem....but can be remedied.

Last resort....contact professionals that have referrals for this kind of problem. Some claim to be experts, but don't do anything beyond the "visual" help.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 PM

872 posts, read 1,855,772 times
Febreze. Is the water in the carpet cleaner, well clean? If a little dirty water stayed in the container and soured that may be the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio