Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Don't forget that part of Bitters between Huebner and 1604 is NISD. Only one side of Bitters is in NISD and the other is NEISD. I always thought it was weird that NISD was all the way over there. They have that elementary school off 1604 away from all other NISD schools.
I think the elementary you are talking about is called Blattman...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Don't forget that part of Bitters between Huebner and 1604 is NISD. Only one side of Bitters is in NISD and the other is NEISD. I always thought it was weird that NISD was all the way over there. They have that elementary school off 1604 away from all other NISD schools.
Yep. And it splits Inwood subdivisions as well. It causes major Clark/Churchill rivarlies in that area. I'm not sure if there are any major rivarlies in the NISd/SAISD areas that get split or the NISD/SWISD areas though.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You have to include the older areas too (like Woodlawn Lake). So basically, it's everything outside of downtown bordered by I10 to the east, and Culebra to the west and south.

I always sort of considered Southwest Research (Culebra/410) to be that fuzzy line that differentiated northwest from westside. But it used to be a large undeveloped area around there, which made it a big line. Also, if you put the border at Bandera, then it would basically place Ingram Park Mall on the westside, and I don't think anyone would agree with that. Ingram is so close to the Medical Center (which is essentially the far east side of the NW quadrant).

I don't mind saying that Sea World is the far west side.
I agree you do have to include the older areas, Woodlawn Lake, Jefferson HS, Monticello Park are all on the near northwest side. Ingram Park Mall and Holmes HS are northwest, lower northwest side there north of Culebra. Draw a line straight across the city heading east from Ingam Mall and your at BAMC the lower northeast side. Of course what is far in the years ahead may change. The Jefferson area was far northwest way back in the 1930's and 40's

Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM

10 posts, read 29,971 times
I live in Alamo Ranch and everyone says this is the NW side...I said look at a map this is the west side...Needless to say, I was informed that this is not the west side and a weird wink was given to me...I'm still confused, but just going to go with it...

Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
It's NW. What i did was take a map of the city of San Antonio, and put a big plus sign in the middle of the city with line extensions running north, south, east, and west. Just like back in elementary school map reading. There are 4 quadrants. One is northeast, one is southeast, one is northwest, and one is southwest. Very simple.

When you look at the map, Alamo Ranch area is NW. Potranco road is due west. So anything north of Potranco would be considered northwest, IMO.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM

64 posts, read 178,993 times
the unofficial map

Where is the NW side? are you sure?-sa-news.jpg

Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
The SW side is bordered by I35 and highway 90. That may be the only one that you can really define clearly on a map.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
We live in the Villages of Westcreek. When aked where I live I tell Folks the name of the Subdivision and proudly say it is in Far West San Antonio and or Bexar County. Most Folks would NEVER call this area the West Side. I guess they are too proud and they don't want the stigma that comes with saying they live on the West Side of San Antonio. If the Hwy 90 W over to 471 (Culebra) on 1604 is not the West Side then ......... I don't know what is.

It's all about Status.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I have lived in the Great Northwest for almost 30 years, (Timberpath/Grisom/Tezel Road) - it's always been associated with northwest SA.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Locals, born and raised here, don't use this "Far" nonsense. We just don't.

And, yes, there is a stigma with saying west side as people will think you live right by OLLU if that's what you tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio