Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I'd want to be just outside of 410 on the east side of town, I would almost recommend looking to the northside (1604 & 281 area) so the split difference wouldn't be too bad.

If you're PCS'ing in then you'll have 30 days in billeting to find a place to live. You should also get 10 days permissive TDY to househunt if possible. Are you looking to rent or buy? If the latter, then get a good realtor; I can suggest one who has a great track record of helping military personnel coming into the SA area. We PCS'd in from Belgium and through exchanging emails, he took us to the house we eventually bought the first morning we went out looking.

Above all, welcome to SA! You might find that if you love it as much as we did, we came back here when it was time for me to retire!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to be just outside of 410 on the east side of town, I would almost recommend looking to the northside (1604 & 281 area) so the split difference wouldn't be too bad.

If you're PCS'ing in then you'll have 30 days in billeting to find a place to live. You should also get 10 days permissive TDY to househunt if possible. Are you looking to rent or buy? If the latter, then get a good realtor; I can suggest one who has a great track record of helping military personnel coming into the SA area. We PCS'd in from Belgium and through exchanging emails, he took us to the house we eventually bought the first morning we went out looking.

Above all, welcome to SA! You might find that if you love it as much as we did, we came back here when it was time for me to retire!

Cheers! M2
Thanks for the advice M2!

We will get time for house hunting, so I am makings a list of properties that I want to look at. We won't buy right away seeing how we still own a house in California and we need to scope the area out first.

I've got several to look at in the 1604/281 area. I wasn't sure how traffic would be heading from that area to Lackland and then from that area to Randolph. Thanks again!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
I wouldn't opt for the east side of San Antonio. Along 1604 is probably a good option. The drive to Randolph from the 281 area will be the easier of the 2 but our friend is at Lackland and makes the drive from pretty deep into Stone Oak. They have kids so they chose to do that to get the schools out here. There is a lot of road work so if you look at here remember that will eventually go away. You didn't say anything about schools but those along the northside of 1604 are generally some of the best in the city. You should be able to find something in your pricerange out here as well.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 453 times
Hi Rida123,
I'm in the same boat now. May I ask where you ended up living and how your commute times are? Thank you

Old 06-24-2015, 04:11 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ13 View Post
Hi Rida123,
I'm in the same boat now. May I ask where you ended up living and how your commute times are? Thank you
I don't think you'll be hearing from him anytime soon...he last posted in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio