Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 13,117 times

Advertisements

So, my hubby and I are both active duty Air Force and will be PCS'ing soon. I will be stationed at Lackland and he will be at Randolph. We have heard about the traffic in San Antonio and would like to find a place that won't be a long drive for both of us...something centarlly located, but in a good area.

We are exploring all options(renting and buying).Our max rent that we would pay is $1200 and mortgage would be for a $150K home. Everyone says to stay closer to the Randolph side, but we want to consider everything. I would like to hear from people who actually know/live in the San Antonio area b/c so far everyone giving us their opinions have only "heard" about San Antonio and not actually "lived" in San Antonio.

We do not have any children/dependents(except our turtles, lol!) Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Personally, I'd stay closer to Randolph - but that's just me.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:36 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Yeah, it's fairly easy to get to Lackland from Randolph; and most of the people stationed at the former live west or northwest of the base, which would be a haul to Randolph. Maybe someplace south of Randolph, which would put you near IH-10/90, would be the best area to consider.

Do you have a realtor yet? I know of one who has a lot of experience working with the military. He helped us tremendously when we PCS'd here from Belgium. He was recommended by a friend and we've passed his info on to several of our friends with great results. If you are interested, send me a DM and I'll send you his contact info...

And welcome (back) to SA. Being Air Force, I know you've been here at least once before! I did BMTS here back in 1981, and returned for AFROTC Summer Training in 1987. Despite those experiences, we love it here (I was stationed here twice before retiring in 2006).

Cheers! M2

Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 13,117 times
Well, we have decided to rent first and get to know more about SA before buying...do you have any suggestions as far as neighborhoods that would make each of our commutes reasonable? I was looking at some areas in the northcentral parts(78216 and 78232) but I have no idea what traffic would be like for me going to Lackland and hubby going to Randolph. When you say it would be fairly easy to get to Lackland from Randolph, what kind of time/miles are we talking about? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM

151 posts, read 299,438 times
Look into Castle Hills. I've lived near Lackland before and currently live about 3 miles away from Randolph now. I have also lived in Castle Hills which is just about mid-point between the two. You can also look outside of Loop 410 in the Churchill Estates area. You should "Mapquest" Blanco Rd. and then see how far from FM78 (Randolph) and W. Military Dr. (Lackland) are from that area.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:56 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rida123 View Post
Well, we have decided to rent first and get to know more about SA before buying...do you have any suggestions as far as neighborhoods that would make each of our commutes reasonable? I was looking at some areas in the northcentral parts(78216 and 78232) but I have no idea what traffic would be like for me going to Lackland and hubby going to Randolph. When you say it would be fairly easy to get to Lackland from Randolph, what kind of time/miles are we talking about? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It takes me roughly 35 minutes to get to the Lackland area from 78216 and about 15 minutes to get to the Randolph area from that same location during non-rush hour traffic.

I agree with the Castle Hills suggestion but am not sure how fabulous the schools in that area are, but do know that the aforementioned Churchill Estates area is top notch.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM

77 posts, read 221,464 times
I don't know of neighborhoods on the South side to recommend, but I've driven from Randolph to Lackland during morning rush hour in 35 minutes by taking 1604 to I10 to 90. That was in a GOV van, so you know I wasn't having to speed and drive crazy to make that happen! I seriously doubt I could have done it in that same time if I was going around the North side. I think the South side of town will allow you to miss most of the traffic.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,083 times
Didn't want to create a new thread so I'm bumping this older one seeing how I am asking the same question as the OP. My wife and I will be splitting the drive between Randolph and Lackland and we are looking for suggestions on living areas.

I've seen a couple places I liked down in Lakeside, but don't know if that part of town is good or not. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
What is your price range and are schools an issue? Not familiar with Lakeside but it looks like it's a long way from Randolph.

Okay wait, now I see "Lakeside" neighborhoods listed on 151, the East Side of SA and Canyon Springs. Which one it is will make a big difference in drive, schools, and desirability.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
What is your price range and are schools an issue? Not familiar with Lakeside but it looks like it's a long way from Randolph.

Okay wait, now I see "Lakeside" neighborhoods listed on 151, the East Side of SA and Canyon Springs. Which one it is will make a big difference in drive, schools, and desirability.
Yeah, the Lakeside I saw was on the East side right outside 410. I'm most likely only going to be in SA for 3 years. We will be renting until we know the area a little better and our rental cap will be around $1650.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio