Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times

Advertisements

Maybe this difference of opinion can be attributed to the difference between com vs. noncom points of view (though I don't really see how).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
The similarity of Gen. MacArthur and Gen. McChrystal are striking. In the 1950's Gen. MacArthur wanted to win the war and take it to China. He came out in the press and badmouthed Truman. Truman fired him. Truman lost the election and part of the reason was for firing Macarthur.

We held a parade in San Antonio in front of the Alamo and I was there as a small child.

Now history seems to be repeating itself and yes he has been released from duty. We'll see if the rest repeats itself.

Last edited by gy2020; 06-23-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
The similarity of Gen. MacArthur and Gen. McChrystal are striking. In the 1950's Gen. MacArthur wanted to win the war and take it to China. He came out in the press and badmouthed Truman. Truman fired him. Truman lost the election and part of the reason was for firing Macarthur.

We held a parade in San Antonio in front of the Alamo and I was there as a small child.

Now history seems to be repeating itself and yes he has been released from duty. We'll see if the rest repeats itself.
Just a quick history aside. Truman didn't lose an election for President. He won in '48 and chose not to run in '52. The Macarthur issue probably factored greatly into the slippage in the polls that caused Truman not to run, but he didn't lose.

This reminds me a bit of the situation with Patton, too. Strangely enough, I just watched "Patton" again last weekend before all of this appeared in the news.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:10 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Hey, most folks like a few amenities from home; but it was getting ridiculous!

At Bagram and Kandahar airfields, there are/was Pizza Hut, Burger King, Green Bean, A TGI Fridays (at Kandahar), A Harley-Davidson concessionaire, and an Oakley sunglasses shop, as well as the usual AAFES offerings, just to name a few.

The logistical support for all those businesses is too much, especially in an airlift-constrained theater. McChrystal is a career SOF guy, and they don't believe in so many luxuries in a combat environment. Whereas I share that mindset to a degree, I also believe there has to be some MWR assets for the troops. It was just that things got to be too over the top, and more importance was placed on those areas and not on the operational mission.

And there is no "comm vs noncomm" argument here, I was a "noncomm" (NCO) prior to becoming a "comm" (officer), so I've been on both sides of that fence!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
Having been at the very end of the supply line I can say with a certainty that the basic necessities to accomplish the mission are the most important -people, food, water, and mission gear. We almost ran out of potable water on several occasions because our airlift resupply was being shot at on approach and takeoff.

I'd like to refer everyone to this link U.S. bases in Afghanistan say goodbye to Whoppers, DQ – Afghanistan Crossroads - CNN.com Blogs. Look at the size of the BK trailor being offloaded in comparison to the C-17. It looks to me like the trailor occupies almost half the available cargo space. Airlift is not an infinite resource and must be planned responsibly.

Also with the surge in troops comes an increased housing demand. My guess is that the warehouse space saved will go towards giving the guys a space to set up their cots while they find out where they're going or awaiting transportation.

The 'rear echelon' folks at the major resupply hubs always have it the best and lack for nothing in taking care of the mission and themselves. In fact I think this should be looked at from a different perspective, that of the forward deployed trooper who will be getting the things they need in a more timely fashion.

Last edited by goodmanm; 06-23-2010 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: spell check.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM

330 posts, read 936,618 times
You know, wether or not he stopped big Mac's or not.... It is not the point. It's not about wether you like Obama or not He disrespected the Office Of the President, something a "career" General should know!! I'm surprised they haven't Court Marshaled him.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Are you talking about the genious that claimed that China wouldn't attack our troops if he pushed North all the way past the Yalu river into China to then find himself fighting 100s of thousands of chinese soldiers and having to retreat?

The Korean War:

A week later, South Korean forces reached the border of China. Here the North Koreans fled across the Yalu River into China. General MacArthur promised to President Truman that the fighting would cease by November, and that if he pursued the North Koreans, China would not interfere. He was wrong. On October 16th, 1950 approximately 300,000 Chinese troops began to cross the Yalu River.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:36 PM

872 posts, read 1,855,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And there is no "comm vs noncomm" argument here, I was a "noncomm" (NCO) prior to becoming a "comm" (officer), so I've been on both sides of that fence!
Me too!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default I agree, out with the scoundrel,

It was dumb and tactless and the guy admitted to it and apologized
for making such remarks in public.He seems to me, anyway, after such remarks about the pres to have an overswelled head , a common affliction of military officers. He forgot to remember that the civilians run the military...
Before making such remarks as, Obama fell short, after meeting him for the first time. Or something to that effect. Then the remark on Biden. It was unethical and out of character for a General of the U.S. to pass a character
judgement on the highest elected official in the land.
To commemmorate such amusing and contrary remarks the entire parade,
people and vehicles, should march and and operate in reverse beginning to end today and on an annual basis. Lest they forget.
It was a disgraceful episode made public. The pres should not ,not,
put up with Such B.S.
Yes, it was a big ****ing deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac12 View Post
You know, wether or not he stopped big Mac's or not.... It is not the point. It's not about wether you like Obama or not He disrespected the Office Of the President, something a "career" General should know!! I'm surprised they haven't Court Marshaled him.

Last edited by Bo; 06-24-2010 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Retyped one word. When you use a word that's on the banned list, let the board display it as the owner intends.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Yes Dopo,

One in the same. An article int New York Times by Doris Kearns Goodwin on Lincoln and McLellan puts this situation into its' proper perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Are you talking about the genious that claimed that China wouldn't attack our troops if he pushed North all the way past the Yalu river into China to then find himself fighting 100s of thousands of chinese soldiers and having to retreat?

The Korean War:

A week later, South Korean forces reached the border of China. Here the North Koreans fled across the Yalu River into China. General MacArthur promised to President Truman that the fighting would cease by November, and that if he pursued the North Koreans, China would not interfere. He was wrong. On October 16th, 1950 approximately 300,000 Chinese troops began to cross the Yalu River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio