Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,853,279 times

Advertisements

I have heard so many negative stories about the unreasonable invasion of HOAs into how people live that I would never even consider buying a home in a communist...er....HOA controlled neighborhood. If the woman put up a gate to protect her child and it is not obtrusive, so be it. The gate is nice, and keeps a child protected. I don't need a commitee to tell me what color I can paint my house.
I don't understand how these HOAs have gotten so powerful. It needs to be corraled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,943,565 times
It's pretty cut and dry…she applied and did not hear back within the mandatory 30 days so she actually was kind enough to wait another 30 days before putting up the gate.

The HOA had its chance and it messed up, that's not her fault.

Plus, given her son's autism, I think she has a right to sue under Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. Ch 126 §12201-12213) if the HOA persists.

But, above all, this is ridiculous; the purpose of the gate is not ornamental but to ensure the safety of her special needs child. As a parent of an autistic child, I would be willing to go through hell and high water in such a fight, and I support her 100%. I am glad she went public with this, and I hope the HOA realizes how stupid it looks and backs down with an apology!

As for her neighbors, they are petty people who need to get a life!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,765,940 times
As somebody on the board of a northside HOA, I'm glad to say that would not happen in our neighborhood. Things are taken with a giant grain of common sense and clearly this lady needs a small gate and it's probably a lot better than her kid getting out. Stuff like this gives all of us a bad name.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,038,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
(slightly off topic anecdote about an hoa)

a good friend of mine lived in an hoa neighborhood. one day they got a letter saying that they were not allowed to paint their garage door two different colors. that they needed to fix it or face the consequences. they thought, what? we haven't painted out garage door, what are they talking about? when they went out to check they didn't see anything different about it. it took a day or two of wondering before they figured it out.

someone mistook the shadow cast my the roof as a different color on the garage door.

chrimminy!
In my HOA, the manager drives down all of the streets of the neighborhood once a month writing down any violations she sees or changes that were made without architectural approval. Given that level of familiarity and the fact that she makes observations without leaving her vehicle, I can imagine she might make that mistake, too.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM

Honestly, there are benefits to having a HOA; but it seems like they are more of a hindrance in most cases. Ours is lackluster in its duties, there are clear violations that are not acted upon even when reported. The common areas constantly need work as well.

It would be nice if HOAs would focus on the important things, and not engage in major battles over small stuff like this!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM

410 posts, read 921,752 times
Right on majormadmax.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM

410 posts, read 921,752 times
"Plus, given her son's autism, I think she has a right to sue under Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. Ch 126 §12201-12213) if the HOA persists.

But, above all, this is ridiculous; the purpose of the gate is not ornamental but to ensure the safety of her special needs child. As a parent of an autistic child, I would be willing to go through hell and high water in such a fight, and I support her 100%."

Me too.....

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM

915 posts, read 1,900,482 times
Its a freaking track home surrounded by other track homes without any architectural or historical significance. What are they protecting but the sameness of ugly? With that said, they moved there so they need to accept the rules.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Its a freaking track home surrounded by other track homes without any architectural or historical significance. What are they protecting but the sameness of ugly? With that said, they moved there so they need to accept the rules.
Did you read the article? They did "accept the rules!" She submitted the request to the HOA and the "rules" say if she doesn't get a ruling within 30 days, it is an automatic approval. She waited 60 days and still didn't hear anything, so she put up the gate. Now the HOA is trying to take action against her.

If anyone needs to "accept the rules," it is the HOA...

Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 AM

915 posts, read 1,900,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Did you read the article? They did "accept the rules!" She submitted the request to the HOA and the "rules" say if she doesn't get a ruling within 30 days, it is an automatic approval. She waited 60 days and still didn't hear anything, so she put up the gate. Now the HOA is trying to take action against her.

If anyone needs to "accept the rules," it is the HOA...
I did read the article and noted several "Christa says", but no proof of delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio