Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 AM

16 posts, read 67,772 times

Advertisements

Want to take the family on a drive up to Fredericksburg this weekend and visit an Orchard or Peach Farm where we can pick our own peaches. It will be a great experience for our 4 year old son, and the peaches are great!

Are there any recommendations? What should we bring / expect? What are the sweetest types of peaches?

Here is a list I got from the Good Taste with Tanji Patton newsletter:

Marburger Orchards

On Meusebach Road, just off Highway 87, south of Fredericksburg.

Psencik Peach Farm

Just off Highway 290 east of Fredericksburg (turn on Jung Road, off 290 and cross the Pedernales River).

Vogel Orchards

East of Fredericksburg on 290.

Eckhardt Orchards

This stand has been owned by the same family for nearly 75 years! Eckhardt is 2.2 miles south of Fredericksburg on 87.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:19 PM

Marburger Orchards - 1/2 bussel of peaches - $20 - $35 depending on type.

Will post more info on the others as I go through the list.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Has anyone gone to pick your own peaches?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Do the orchards even allow pick-your-own? I'd think they might be concerned that the general public might harm their trees.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM

181 posts, read 611,302 times
We've picked our own strawberries, blackberries and blueberries at Marburger Orchards and had a great time! We've been the past two years but haven't gone up yet this year. It's pretty simple, you pay .75 or so for a bucket and then pick the berries. They go over what to pick/what not to pick for best taste, being careful while picking not to damage the plants, things like that and then they send you out. They measure what you pick and you pay with cash or check (no cc's). Very fun and my kids LOVE going!

I'm not sure on if you can/can't pick your own peaches? I'd imagine they have an area open for picking and then other areas where they pick and you buy.

The only thing I can think to bring is water and sunscreen depending on time of day and such. It's great though. The people there are very friendly.

Have fun!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,936 times
I have been picking my own peaches...from my own peach tree, which is producing extremely well this year. Have to share some with the wildlife, but still have been getting more than we need. NOW, however...only a few peaches left on the tree! The peach producers must be jumping up and down and only wondering how they can sell all those peaches!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:45 AM

437 posts, read 902,609 times
I've been picking my own peaches in Fredericksburg for years, bith at Psencik's and Marburger's; the latter has WAY more variety and is a lot closer to SA. They also have vegetables and berries (but it's probably late for those).There's water on site in case folks get thirsty. I also like Marburger's website because he updates it just about daily to let folks know what's available before they drive all the way up there.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
We went to Marburger's Farm this morning...had a great time. We picked over the last of the Majestics and Red Globes. The Dixilands are supposed to be ready next weekend. It was really neat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio