Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times

Advertisements

I have to question that low foreclosure number as well. This is the site I regularly check out and there appear to be dozens of foreclosures in 78258 alone ...

78258 Real Estate & 78258 Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,001 times
RGJ - You are obviously familar with the SA MLS. Will you please do this . . .

"Go into MLS and do an open search for "VA foreclosures, HUD homes, and Lender Owned homes" . The search will return 404 homes in the San Antonio MLS area. Then tell them to narrow the search to area 1801. Eight houses will come up. If you look at those homes, you will see that 5 are located in Stone Oak."

And tell people what numbers come up? Several homes closed since I first ran the numbers and they are now a little lower.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM

71 posts, read 111,109 times
Also, the Stone Oak area is going to continue to be popular and have a low rate of foreclosure since the area has great public schools. People move here to send their kids to Reagan.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,474 times
I have heard alot about the schools in Stone Oak. Is Reagan really that good?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1elkaholic2 View Post

I wouldn't know for sure, but I do know of the many references to the schools in the area seem to all be overwhelmingly positive.

Ronald Reagan High School (San Antonio, Texas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Reagan High School Test Scores - San Antonio, Texas - TX

Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1elkaholic2 View Post
I graduated from Reagan. (LOL, if some people read this and my handle, they'll be able to figure out who I am, haha) It is a GREAT school, provided that you take advantage of the opportunities given to you. There are brilliant teachers, although the administration gives a great deal to be desired sometimes.

There are some drug problems, but that's an individual parenting problem rather than anything else. The school itself is very diverse (NOT just Caucasians and Hispanics) and you'll meet all sorts of people there that you can make friends, or enemies, with. It's your choice.

By and large, I had a good time at Reagan, after I got over the culture shock of moving to Texas freshman year. I met good people, had great teachers, engaged in fun extracurricular activities and very much enjoyed myself. And yes, I went to one of the top Universities in the nation and shall be applying to medical school sometime next year. Many Reagan alumni will be very successful in what they choose to do in life. It's all up to them, but Reagan does help a bit, by being a good, competent school.

Good look to you and your children, y'all! (See, Texas taught me that )

Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Yeah, there's some fuzzy math going on here. The population of San Antonio (not counting the metropolitan area) is just under 1.4 million as of last count. Assuming 3 people per household, average, that means there are around 470,000 homes in the area. 404 homes is a tenth of a percentage point. 0.1%.
You're leaving out the thousands and thousands of apartments out there and all the house renters.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
RGJ - You are obviously familar with the SA MLS. Will you please do this . . .

"Go into MLS and do an open search for "VA foreclosures, HUD homes, and Lender Owned homes" . The search will return 404 homes in the San Antonio MLS area. Then tell them to narrow the search to area 1801. Eight houses will come up. If you look at those homes, you will see that 5 are located in Stone Oak."

And tell people what numbers come up? Several homes closed since I first ran the numbers and they are now a little lower.
If you do this kind of search, as of this morning, there are 7 in area 1801. About 4 or 5 in Stone Oak proper. If you do the same search for 12 mos sold foreclosures, it turns up 31 for area 1801.

Still, the problem with this kind of search is that you're relying on the listing agent to input under Misc the fact that the listing is a foreclosure and therein lies the problem. I can guarantee that there are more than 4 or 5 foreclosures in the Stone Oak area. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing based on the total number of houses in the area. Just a fact of current day situations.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
If you do this kind of search, as of this morning, there are 7 in area 1801. About 4 or 5 in Stone Oak proper. If you do the same search for 12 mos sold foreclosures, it turns up 31 for area 1801.

Still, the problem with this kind of search is that you're relying on the listing agent to input under Misc the fact that the listing is a foreclosure and therein lies the problem. I can guarantee that there are more than 4 or 5 foreclosures in the Stone Oak area. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing based on the total number of houses in the area. Just a fact of current day situations.
Thank you RGJ. Makes more sense now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio