Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,501 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed this thread, learned a lot about perceptions and problems with downtown. I moved downtown last year, having never lived in SA before. I pretty much bike, walk, cab or take a bus from Southtown to the Pearl, bordered by the freeways, and only venture out (again, in a cab) to the airport for flights elsewhere. It should be noted that I lived in Manhattan (NYC) for years and only left it to go to the airport as well. I concede, upfront, that these are 2 completely different downtown living experiences.

I don't worry about parking, because I already live downtown. I bike, walk, or use public transportation around the area. I'm rarely on the RW. There's so much to do that has little to do with the RW itself. Sure, tourists get trapped there and have no idea that there's more downtown than the RW; but, that's not true of the downtown residents.

There aren't many downtown residents (I recall the number being around 1400), so we get to see what many others in San Antonio only visit for work or special events. At the special events the place is slam packed with people from all over the city. It doesn't appear that parking deters everyone during Fiesta, NIOSA, Rock and Roll Marathon, parades, etc. We see packed bars and restaurants every weekend that are not in the RW tourist guide books. Someone likes coming down here.

I met a couple the other evening who had moved downtown after finding that they were visiting every weekend and enjoying what they could do, but not enjoying worrying about which one would only have 2 drinks. Now, they walk and don't worry. This isn't true of all the drunks SAPD has been busting as they drive from venue to venue off the north loop.

I really can't say I miss driving anywhere in order to enjoy what's on offer. I'm probably missing something at La Cantera or The Rim, but I can't be bothered to drive there for it (what is there, anyway?). Over a year here and I'm still happy with the variety, choice, and fun I'm having downtown.

Another part of this thread made a comparison with Austin. I've lived there too and would agree that it's a different style of living with a number of different options not on offer in SA. It's not to say one is better than the other, just different. There are also lots of people that live in the 'burbs around Austin, claiming to live in Austin, who never get to the DT Austin, and eat at all the chains that I see off of 410 on the way to the airport. So, there are similarities to SA as well.

Another conversation in this thread got off on a California tangent. I lived on the beach there for years, once again rarely venturing off my cool patch of the earth and biking everywhere. I knew many people who lived inland who rarely made it to the beach. They, like many here when coming downtown, complained about parking challenges when they came to the beach. They definitely had a different living experience in CA than I did.

I like downtown and I really like living downtown. I've met a lot of very cool people. It's a different pace than other places I've lived. It's not a big city, but more like a village with lots of tourists wondering through, snapping photos, and enjoying themselves as I enjoy SA living. I can't compare it to other parts of SA because I have all that I need right here.

I'll make a final confession. I don't do any grocery shopping. My wife does all the grocery shopping and loves doing it. In the last city we lived in all of our grocery shopping was delivered by the stores themselves. My agreement for living in SA was that I would not do the shopping. It's an arrangement we're both happy with; but, I recognize the lack of a proper downtown grocers as a deterrent to many to living downtown. It's a chicken and the egg issue grocers don't want to build until enough residents live DT and people don't want to move unless they have a grocery store DT. It's a slight irritation but one that's easily overcome by having a wife who likes to do the grocery shopping.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying DT to its fullest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:39 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times
Well said sir. Thank you for your breadth of experiences in many places; for filling us in on how just many actually do live DT, and the grocery situation: these specific things and the rest are all useful things to consider . While I don't think DT SA living would appeal to me, I'm glad to see the variety of positive experiences here.
Question though... whereabouts did you live in Cali? I'm looking to move to the South Bay in a couple of months (inland ), and am very much about public trans, walking, running, and bicycling, so have chosen my desire locale wisely. Finding an available, cost effective rental (relative to the area) in this location is a whole different story! But, I just wondered if you have experiences to share there as well. You said beach so I'm guessing So Cal, but pls. hit me up on the PM. TY!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 51,929 times
I think part of the problem is that San Antonio is a very family oriented town. While I think living downtown would be cool, I think it would be very difficult with children. You can't really haul a small child around with you while hiking or biking and there is limited public transportation. Add to that the fact that all the good school districts are outside of the downtown area and the limited grocery and shopping options, and I think living downtown while raising a child (or 2 or 3) would be more trouble than it's worth.

There's a reason why most "urban pioneers" are either single or childless couples.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 AM

tekka-maki,

We're not officially friends so I could not PM you. I was in Newport Beach. Northern California is an entirely different animal.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM

NewTexican,

We're urban pioneers with children. We have a little one in a neighborhood full of little ones. Bonham Academy is a great school with very involved local parents. It's so local that we walk to school, or bike together. The only school bus is for special needs. Kids are "hauled" everywhere on buses, bikes, walking, the trolley and more. In fact, a trolley ride up to the library was a great adventure the other day for a class full of children and a bus ride last week over to Hemisfair park was also fun.

We ride bikes by the Alamo, ride up to Pearl for brunch on Sunday, cruise over to the Mercado for Conjunto, walk along the river in the cool of the morning and a million other things that those outside of either loop may visit every once in a while. All those great symbols of San Antonio are all around us, everyday. I can't say I've seen too many branded sites of San Antonio that highlight strip malls.

Then again, life downtown is NOT for everyone. Urban living is not something that everyone can handle. I get bored easily in rural locations. I've lived rural before and, although it has some benefits, I appreciate the greater number of options I have in a more urban setting. I understand that someone has to live in suburbia, trawl the malls and eat at franchise food locations that are the same as anywhere else in the country. I understand that there are a lot of great things when living far from your nearest neighbor on a ranch or at a lake. And, I'm happy that people are living there and missing out on the things that I enjoy much as I expect that they're VERY happy that I'm not in their space.

I, too, see San Antonio as family-oriented...for all members of the family. Our little one has many things to keep him busy. We have many things to keep us busy as well. Together, we have many things that we share together. And, I see that this tradition is very much alive in the downtown spaces we live in today.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,405,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallega View Post
NewTexican,

We're urban pioneers with children. We have a little one in a neighborhood full of little ones. Bonham Academy is a great school with very involved local parents. It's so local that we walk to school, or bike together. The only school bus is for special needs. Kids are "hauled" everywhere on buses, bikes, walking, the trolley and more. In fact, a trolley ride up to the library was a great adventure the other day for a class full of children and a bus ride last week over to Hemisfair park was also fun.

We ride bikes by the Alamo, ride up to Pearl for brunch on Sunday, cruise over to the Mercado for Conjunto, walk along the river in the cool of the morning and a million other things that those outside of either loop may visit every once in a while. All those great symbols of San Antonio are all around us, everyday. I can't say I've seen too many branded sites of San Antonio that highlight strip malls.

Then again, life downtown is NOT for everyone. Urban living is not something that everyone can handle. I get bored easily in rural locations. I've lived rural before and, although it has some benefits, I appreciate the greater number of options I have in a more urban setting. I understand that someone has to live in suburbia, trawl the malls and eat at franchise food locations that are the same as anywhere else in the country. I understand that there are a lot of great things when living far from your nearest neighbor on a ranch or at a lake. And, I'm happy that people are living there and missing out on the things that I enjoy much as I expect that they're VERY happy that I'm not in their space.

I, too, see San Antonio as family-oriented...for all members of the family. Our little one has many things to keep him busy. We have many things to keep us busy as well. Together, we have many things that we share together. And, I see that this tradition is very much alive in the downtown spaces we live in today.

Good for you!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallega View Post
NewTexican,

Great post!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:17 PM

9 posts, read 22,698 times
You're correct. We live in Artisan Park and have been delighted with the proximity to things Southtown and elsewhere. Best choice we've ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio