Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM

291 posts, read 607,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Just wondering, where at?
Convent and St. Mary's for me and Houston St. for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:18 AM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Plus, the rates are competitive; parking during my recent trip to Norfolk, VA was more expensive, and there is nowhere near as much to see and do in that downtown area as there is in San Antonio's!
Well, it's not like SA is competing with Norfolk, or any other city, for DT parking. It's not like I'm going to say "Oh...parking in Chicago is so much more expensive, I think I'll just go to DT San Antonio tonight." SA has a vibrant downtown that is mostly driven by tourism. I wouldn't say that it's a huge "problem" that a lot of locals don't go DT, but attracting locals to the DT area has been a pretty big focus of city council and city leadership in recent years, so obviously it's something that they're looking to increase. I think that one way to do that is to examine parking rates, especially since the public transportation options into DT are so limited.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
It was a simple comparison to prove a point, I was just downtown last night and the place was thriving. I didn't take a poll to find out who was from out of town and who was local, but I can tell you that I seriously doubt the cost of parking is preventing anyone from visiting the city. As a matter of fact, it could almost be argued that our downtown is too successful! At 10:00pm the place was very crowded, but considering how the economy has impacted tourism, I can easily say that SA is the exception!

Anyone local who doesn't visit our outstanding downtown is missing out. It is a wonderful place for both tourists and locals, and there is no reason not to go. If the price of parking--which is reasonable as compared to other cities as I clearly pointed out--keeps someone from doing so, then it's their loss and a ridiculous reason to stay away.

Heck, if anything they could probably raise the price of parking without having an impact, based on the number of people I saw there last night! Our downtown is just that popular...

Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 AM

151 posts, read 299,354 times
I try to go as often as possible. I love telling my son about the buildings and their history. Since we live in the 'burbs, I feel like it's my duty to get my son interested in this fabulous city.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 941 times
I don't have a reason to go, this city focuses so much on accommodating the tourist and they forget about the locals. There isn't many nice lofts or condos downtown. There are a few high rise residences and that's about it. The sidewalks smell like urine, the river smells like sewer, and there is nothing but abandoned buildings. Not to mention that Downtown is overrun by ghetto thugs, no one wants to go down there and see that.
I was born and raised here, I've seen little to no improvement since I can remember. I hang out around the 1604 area (Legacy, The Rim, LaCantera, Stone Oak). Luckily I live near 1604 and Bulverde, so it's a short drive.

Last edited by kevinm1101; 07-11-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm1101 View Post
I don't have a reason to go, this city focuses so much on accommodating the tourist and they forget about the locals. There isn't many nice lofts or condos downtown. There are a few high rise residences and that's about it. The sidewalks smell like urine, the river smells like sewer, and there is nothing but abandoned buildings. Not to mention that Downtown is overrun by ghetto thugs, no one wants to go down there and see that.
I was born and raised here, I've seen little to no improvement since I can remember. I hang out around the 1604 area (Legacy, The Rim, LaCantera, Stone Oak). Luckily I live near 1604 and Bulverde, so it's a short drive.
It doesn't matter if you were born here... You can still make uniformed statements that drip with falsehood. Nothing you said makes any sense, especially about LIVING downtown (which I do). SA's DT is thriving and continues to grow. Period. The Mayor is behind it and so are a whole lot of folks who live down here (Google 'Downtown Alliance.' We exist).

Legacy... Rim... Cantera? All glorified shopping malls. Sure, they serve purpose, but it's cookie-cutter crap that you can find in any major city. It's our DT that makes us special and unique. I challenge you to find something in the SA suburbs as interesting as the Riverwalk, Missions or the varying degree of architecture design and history within Southtown, Olmos Park and King William.

BN

PS: ... And just because it bugs me, it's THERE AREN'T many- Not ISN'T MANY.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Well-said, BN.

The folks who want strip-mall convenience deserve, well, strip malls.

Yeah, and I go downtown all the time, and use transit (which doesn't require parking) more often than not to get there. And I've never had a problem finding parking when I'm forced, for whatever reason, to drive downtown in my car.

FYI- a great resource for free parking is to use on-street parking in the King William neighborhood just south of Durango. A very short (less than 10 minutes) walk to the heart of downtown, and there are almost always spaces available.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Agreed, such a statement as "the river smells like sewer" is not only grammatically incorrect; but it also makes no sense! If the river did possess such a bad odor, then how is the Riverwalk one of the biggest attractions in the city?!?

And "Downtown is overrun by ghetto thugs, no one wants to go down there and see that?!?" Really? I was just down there last night, and didn't see a single "ghetto thug." You'd think that they'd be out, especially on a Saturday night!

I will agree that our downtown is geared toward tourism, but that's no surprise. There are no grocery stores, gas stations or other amenities that would support a large urban community; but since it is so easy to get there and enjoy the attractions that do exist, for most that is not a problem.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Heck, if anything they could probably raise the price of parking without having an impact, based on the number of people I saw there last night! Our downtown is just that popular...
... and you can even park at Rivercenter and get your parking validated if you buy something at one of the shops. They still validate, right?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 PM

245 posts, read 695,926 times
I've lived here for almost 4 years and I love going downtown, and we live all the way over by Fiesta Texas. My 4-year old loves walking around the Alamo and the River Walk. I used to park over in a church parking lot by La Villita, but once the price went up I started looking for a cheaper place to go, and discovered the free (or close to free) street parking that one of the previous posters mentioned. Now I usually park just a few blocks north of the Alamo and walk 5 min, and don't pay more than $1 on a weeknight and free on the weekends. All of the tourists can pay parking, it would be nice if San Antonio though offered free parking or discounted year round parking passes for locals, might get more of them to go downtown. Either or, we still love to go. I've lived in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and this is the city where I've gone down most to the DT area. We might be moving back to Dallas next year, and I'm really going to miss all that San Antonio has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio