Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 PM

8 posts, read 43,044 times

Advertisements

My family and I are contemplating moving to Texas. We have a 15 yr old daughter and a 17 yr old son. My family is into boating, horses and dirtbiking.
I am a construction Superintendent and my wife works in the grocery business. We are moving from the Palm Desert area in California. We also like to vacation in Mexico. We are tired of the hustle and bustle here. Could someone give us the lowdown on employment, weather and opportunities for my family in this region. My wife and I are in early 40s. We were also interested in Fredricksburg. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,051 times
In SA you'll have plenty of employment opportunities as construction for all aspects is booming and non stop right now. From homes to schools to freeways to commercial and retail developments.

Weather is basically the same for both cities. Hot during the summer perfect during most of fall and all of winter (except for a freak ice storm) and then perfect again for most if not all of spring.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I would say that SA is much more family friendly, and you have many more housing options. The RE market in SA is not as overpriced as Austin. You have Canyon Lake nearby for boating and you're 90 minutes closer to the 'beach'. ha ha Good luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM

217 posts, read 670,929 times
I do believe that the poster "Twinkletoes" moved to SA from Palm Desert too. She ended up moving back to Palm Desert after one year, very unhappy. Maybe you could write to her for a good comparison. What's interesting in these San Antonio vs. Austin posts to guide people to new homes, is that people focus on housing prices almost exclusively. Yes, you can buy a slightly cheaper house in SA, but you'd better make it a good one, because you are just going to be sitting in it all the time wth the A/C running. I would suck up slightly higher housing costs and move to a city like Austin that has a more lively vibe. (Yes, I'm envious of my friends who live in Austin, like everyone else I work with.) Among the educated people I know, SA is an "also-ran" place to be. After meeting me, SA people always say "Why didn't you move to Austin?" as if they know that anyone who moves to SA is settling for seconds--which they are in my opinion (Yes, I'm guilty of settling for the moment, and I'm not proud of it.) Write to Twinkletoes who will give you the full scoop.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:37 PM

351 posts, read 1,585,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richgatehouse View Post
My family and I are contemplating moving to Texas. We have a 15 yr old daughter and a 17 yr old son. My family is into boating, horses and dirtbiking.
I am a construction Superintendent and my wife works in the grocery business. We are moving from the Palm Desert area in California. We also like to vacation in Mexico. We are tired of the hustle and bustle here. Could someone give us the lowdown on employment, weather and opportunities for my family in this region. My wife and I are in early 40s. We were also interested in Fredricksburg. Thank you.
Hello,

Fredricksburg along with the rest of the Hill Country is having a HOUSING BOOM!! You will have no problems finding work wherever you decide to live.

Obviously being a small town, Fred. will be much more quiet and laid back than SA.

The country around there can hardly even be described. Some of the most beautiful in the world. Enchanted Rock is just a stones throw from there:

TPWD: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area

If your wife plans on staying in groceries, get used to HEB grocery stores:

Careers

They are the MAIN grocery stores for most all of San Antonio and surrounding areas.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-23-2007 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Deleted reference to other post.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 8,008 times
Thanks from a third party. I too am looking to relocate th either SA or Austin (with tendancies towards New Braunfels). I'm 60, male, widowed and ride a RoadKing so my social requirements will be different. I enjoy the Mexican (Tex-Mex) culture. I lived in El Paso years ago but that's a completely different animal. Anyone care to comment? Thanks Jim

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...#ixzz0ZToKyEOh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio