Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 AM

22 posts, read 103,359 times

Advertisements

Seems strange lately to me, but it seems when I have gone to fast food places lately they want to keep my change. For example, one of the hamburger places by my house where they come out to get your money, the young lady would start giving me my stuff and then would say thank you maam. I looked puzzled and asked for my change. That time it was almost 50 cents. Facial expressions changed dramatically at that time. Like if she were mad at me! That happened several times there with different people. Tonight at one of the big chains I bought an ice cream cone (boy they are good!) and the guy said thank you maam and I looked puzzled(one more time). He said, "Oh you want your 4 cents?" and I said yes with a grin. I added that I had worked hard for that money. I am a person who usually leaves tips at restaurants and if it's a car hop place I do the same. I know you may think what is the big deal with a few cents but it seems very strange lately. I think it should be us offering and not them taking. Is this a scam....not sure. What do you think? Has this happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM

31 posts, read 115,547 times
This happened to me the other day. It was only a few pennies, so I really didn't care at the moment. But now that you mention it...What the heck's up with that? I assumed that I had gotten a bit of a slow kid on the register and I didn't think that 3 cents was worth making a scene for. I think that the next time this happens I'll just ask to speak with the manager and ask if that's how he/she trains their employees on the register.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:39 AM

545 posts, read 2,284,212 times
Yeah, you know, I'm a little miffed at all the tip cups I see sitting around. Like I should tip you for scooping my ice cream? No way. Now, put on a show, like they do at Amy's and maybe I'll consider it, but they're already getting paid minimum wage or higher, not like restaurants where the waiters are paid less than min and expected to make up the difference in tips.

On another note, what's with the delivery charge for pizza around here? When I was in college, there was never a delivery charge, and I would always tip well...where does that delivery charge go? Do they pay part of it to the driver for gas? I ordered a pizza last night and it was almost $2 for delivery!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM

443 posts, read 1,506,303 times
try tipping at coldstone, all the crew will sing for yah...

Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
For example, one of the hamburger places by my house where they come out to get your money, the young lady would start giving me my stuff and then would say thank you maam.
I'm not sure what you mean about "they come out to get your money". Do they wait on your table, or is this like Sonic?

I don't have a problem with "tipping" at all, but the proprieter should have a small sign by the "tip jar" that explains it goes to the staff, or maybe kitchen help or table bussers for good customer service.
After all.....a "tip" means "to insure promptness"....or good CS!

I've been on that end, and I have to commend anyone who "gets" minimum wage and can still smile at the end of the day. It may be a lot to a teenager who lives at home, but some people have to live on it. Paying it forward eventually comes around....even if there is no instant reward when you do it.

I'm happy to leave a $1 or my change at Starbucks...it's expensive, but my choice to go there. Their baristas are paid very well with bennies. But I leave there with great coffee and a smile. They earn it and deserve it.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by di_is_in_tx View Post
He said, "Oh you want your 4 cents?" and I said yes with a grin. I added that I had worked hard for that money.
Man, 4 cents? Wow, that's just CHEAP. Now, 50 cents, yeah I want it back unless I say "just keep it," which I usualy do.

Anyway, I own a QSR (aka quick service restaurant) where all my employees are (for the most part - 90%) minimum wagers (can't afford to pay them any more, my profit margins are incredibly SLIM, as are ALL fast food places - AND the minimum wage is going up to 5.85 next week, and will increase yearly, which is going to kill me, and has in part led me to put my business on the market), and they REALLY get hyped about their tips, they work hard, it's not just what you see up front, them delivering a burger, or scooping ice cream - they clean (a LOT) gross stuff, they lift and load inventory constantly, take out trash, put up with a lot of really rude customers, etc., it's a tough job - it really is. Yeah, they're kids, they're strong, etc. BUT those tips really help these guys out, and they joyfully count them up after their shift.

AND, most fast food workers do much, much more than the average waiter, who simply clock in, deliver food, never clean or load freezers, or take out trash, etc., AND they make MUCH more $$$ after all is said and done (except, perhaps, for Jim's, which is known in the industry for chintzy tippers). But, that said, waiters have it rough too, the **** they have to put up with from some customers is unbelievable.

NOW, as far as Starbucks, even though I do always tip them, they DO get paid MUCH higher than fast food kids, since Starbucks makes money hand- over-fist and can easily afford to do so - so I'm more reluctant to tip them more than my change-due than some mimimum wage kid at Sonic (whom, I believe might only pay their employees as waiters, like 2.14? I'm not 100% sure, but I have heard this more than once), Baskin, Subway, Quizno's, etc., etc., etc.

So, in summation, TIP THE POOR KIDS (heck, 50 cents even), MY GOSH!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
I always tip, I figure that this poor kid is out working while he/she could be running the streets.
One time at Sonic I didn't tip because I had $5 change coming back and the girl asked me if I wanted a $5 or (5) $1's, like she was expecting a $1 tip. I just don't like when they expect it like that.

I also don't think it is right for them to just expect to keep your change whether it is 1 cent or 1 dollar, that is just rude.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM

370 posts, read 882,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Yeah, you know, I'm a little miffed at all the tip cups I see sitting around. Like I should tip you for scooping my ice cream? No way. Now, put on a show, like they do at Amy's and maybe I'll consider it, but they're already getting paid minimum wage or higher, not like restaurants where the waiters are paid less than min and expected to make up the difference in tips.

On another note, what's with the delivery charge for pizza around here? When I was in college, there was never a delivery charge, and I would always tip well...where does that delivery charge go? Do they pay part of it to the driver for gas? I ordered a pizza last night and it was almost $2 for delivery!
Wow,
Things are different here, (delivery charge is much more than 2 dollars.)

I'm looking forward to Texas!
Gen

Old 06-21-2007, 04:49 PM

22 posts, read 103,359 times
[quote=wCat;925593]I'm not sure what you mean about "they come out to get your money". Do they wait on your table, or is this like Sonic?

Yes wCat, this was actually a Sonic that I was referring to and as Malone mentioned, it is not right for them to expect to keep the change. I really don't feel like I'm being cheap. I usually tip even if the service is not all that great. I know how much they depend on tips but let me be the judge if they should keep the change. Doesn't this make sense? What about when a McDonalds keeps the change. Does that count as tips for the workers? I did not think they got tips. I thought they were paid by mininum wage. Does anyone know?

Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
[quote=di_is_in_tx;927593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about "they come out to get your money". Do they wait on your table, or is this like Sonic?

Yes wCat, this was actually a Sonic that I was referring to and as Malone mentioned, it is not right for them to expect to keep the change. I really don't feel like I'm being cheap. I usually tip even if the service is not all that great. I know how much they depend on tips but let me be the judge if they should keep the change. Doesn't this make sense? What about when a McDonalds keeps the change. Does that count as tips for the workers? I did not think they got tips. I thought they were paid by mininum wage. Does anyone know?
On principal....yes, they should let you decide. I just have never had this happen to me...where they just "kept" the change. Sonic on Nacogdoches, Broadway, or Thousand Oaks.....and a new one on Austin Hwy....never had this happen at these locations. Maybe a buzz in to the manager and inquire??

Googie....thanks for the background on all the extra work that goes on behind the scenes. Everyone needs to know the real story beyond the burger or the scoop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio