Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 AM

18 posts, read 57,859 times

Advertisements

It seems that all of the threads have been on the northside. I grew up in Highland Park many, many years ago. It was a good neighborhood at the time. I can remember the corner of Drexel and New Braunfels where I used to block my San Antonio Express papers early in the morning. There was a Seibert's Drug Store on the corner, Mrs. Johnson's Bakery next to that and then a Winn's Store. Mrs. Johnson's Bakery was unlocked early in the mornings (3 or 4 a.m.) and we could go in and buy fresh bread and cinnamon rolls. I grew up on Peck Ave. that was later used as the route for I-10 going east out of S.A. In those days (I graduated from Brackenridge in 1951) we had to get to school the best way we could. We could ride a city bus to downtown and transfer for S. St. Marys, or we could ride the Rigsby bus to Hackberry and walk through to school. Sure different now days where the bus comes to your front door. I have seem messages talking about USAA. The original USAA was on Grayson street across from the Quadrangle in Ft. Sam. My mother went to work there in 1939. At the time, they employed only women. They later moved to the corner of Broadway and Hildebrand. Earl Abels must date back to the '40s because it was a frequent destination after football games at Alamo Stadium. Brackenridge played all of their home games there. The big game of the year was the Thanksgiving game with Jefferson. It was always a sellout and required being a school early on the day tickets went on sale. A big thrill for kids in those days was to ride the bus downtown to ridge the escalator at Joske's. It was the first one in town. Well, maybe this will get some folks to thinking. Enough for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Check out the GBNF thread!! Bud B and others there are familiar with this area!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tonio-160.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio