Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:56 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times

Advertisements

I used to live in SA and the stray dog problem was far worse then any other place I have lived. I recall seeing packs as large as 15 to 20 dogs roaming loose on the east side and even on the outskirts of downtown. Our neighbor had a pack of inbred dogs in his yard. They just kept on multiplying. It was crazy. We had pit bulls humping on our front porch one morning. Lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:21 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Our pounds are very overcrowded, that's why animal control only picks up dangerous dogs. If you want animal control to pick up all of the dogs, I hope you are fine with more euthanizations. In wealthy areas, I often see that people don't take the necessary steps to prevent their animals from escaping and they also don't think their animals will attack anyone. In poorer areas, people often dump their animals when they can no longer take care of them. Dogs are dumped where I work all the time.
unfortunately euthanizing the dogs are necessary avenue to controlling the population in SA.

Some of the dogs are dangerous. I heard of at least two mauling deaths caused by stray dogs when I lived in SA.

SA was number one for euthanasia when I lived there, and the problem is still bad so I think education is also needed. SA has really good and really cheap (most times free) spay and neuter programs, but too many back yard breeders, and people who think that the dogs are less manly without their nads

Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 AM

923 posts, read 1,501,949 times
I saw a dog next to the Wendy's on SW Military the other day. It was sitting under the rear bumper of a parked car to avoid the sun. I had just bought Milk Bones at HEB for my wife's dog, so I pulled up next to the dog, opened the box, and threw him a few. He was so lethargic, he didn't even move. I felt bad and called 311, but who knows if they ever came.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
I saw a dog next to the Wendy's on SW Military the other day. It was sitting under the rear bumper of a parked car to avoid the sun. I had just bought Milk Bones at HEB for my wife's dog, so I pulled up next to the dog, opened the box, and threw him a few. He was so lethargic, he didn't even move. I felt bad and called 311, but who knows if they ever came.
Highly doubt it. Animal control's policy; "if it ain't biting, then we aint coming."

Old 07-24-2013, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
the southeast has badddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dd problem with strays

Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM

89 posts, read 172,630 times
I notice it. It's heartbreaking.

I also notice that this city and its working-class mentality treat most pets as if they're disposable. If you levy large fines against owners, perhaps things will change- The only thing most idiots understand is losing the money they work so hard to earn.

I say fine the hell out of people. Teach them a lesson. Animals aren't disposable.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,073,566 times
It is disheartening when I see strays cause at one time they belonged to someone. A lot of the stay problems are in the poorer areas of SA. For work, Im on every side of town so I see a lot of this. Its the child that begs to have a puppy and once the dog grows up, they boot'em to the street..pretty sad indeed. I remember I was at a Shell off of 410 and 90 and I gave my sandwich to a mother dog with a limp to her walk..I felt bad..I also did this in the HEB parking lot at HEB Las Palmas. I agree with Gloria and fine these people..or better yet, drug test them to find out why on earth would a human being just dump a pet?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 PM

89 posts, read 172,630 times
Sadly, it's not drugs... It's just stupidity and not having any culture or class.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaUpson View Post

I also notice that this city and its working-class mentality treat most pets as if they're disposable. If you levy large fines against owners, perhaps things will change- The only thing most idiots understand is losing the money they work so hard to earn.

I say fine the hell out of people. Teach them a lesson. Animals aren't disposable.
This.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM

359 posts, read 773,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaUpson View Post

How exactly will fining be enforced? It's not like strays will talk about where they came from.
I see plenty of strays in working class areas take up residence wherever they want. My brother had a female dog give birth to a huge litter under his deck. The dog, for all intents and purposes squatted under his home.

The female got mad one day and attacked a jogger that got too close to the puppies. The police knocked on my brother's door and hassled him. He became upset and explained that they were strays, but if he booted them out he would be on the bad side of the law for evicting two day old babies onto the corner. My brother is sympathetic to dogs. He told the police he had two indoor large dogs that he controlled. He had tried to have the litter picked up by ASPCA or the shelter but no one would get near because the dogs were aggressive. The strays were just strays that he neither fed nor evicted. What was he suppose to do in that instance? Take the fine - or let them die at the end of the block?

Everyone has a solution but no one has a process to get to that solution. That's what bothers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio