Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Often, I hear of Austinites talking about proximity to 'Hill Country'. Does San Antonio often refer to the same 'Hill Country'? Any closer of further away?

How far away? What exactly defines Hill Country...and is it really all that special or interesting....or just a bit different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
As you can see by the following map, the southern-most portion of the Hill Country begins in NW SA (Helotes)...

As to what it is, to quote Wikipedia..."The Texas Hill Country is a vernacular term applied to a region of Central Texas, that features tall rugged hills that consist of thin layers of soil lying on top of either limestone or granite...The area is also unique for its fusion of Spanish and Central European (German, Swiss, Austrian, Alsatian, and Czech) influences in food, beer, architecture, and music that form a distinctively "Texan" culture separate from the state's Southern and Southwestern influences."

More info (plus a good video) can be found here, and pictures here.

Hope that helps. Are you planning a visit or a move?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
I just love Hunt, TX. It is the jewel of the Hill Country. So many twists and turns of the Guadalupe river. So much awesome property. After all the camps close for the year, it is one of the most peaceful places in Texas.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Are you planning a visit or a move?
Yeah, that map is great! Thanks!

I just applied for a job in San Antonio.

I've been there once before, and was a bit indifferent to the city of SA itself. So, was thinking, IF I got a job there, might be interesting to live and commute from the 'Hill Country'.

Just a thought anyways...

Also, I just read somewhere that the Hill Country is 10 degrees colder in the Winter....and read that it is hot in the summer (since the altitude isn't that high overall). Are both of those consistent with experience? It didn't say how much hotter in the summer, but I kinda assumed it meant that it wasn't much cooler or the same as SA itself.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM

436 posts, read 1,613,991 times
I think the hill country is cooler, both summer and winter. no facts to back that up, just general observation.

and, btw, it is doable to live in the hill country and work in sa. just depends on how much you like driving and where in sa your job is located.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
I think the hill country is cooler, both summer and winter. no facts to back that up, just general observation.

and, btw, it is doable to live in the hill country and work in sa. just depends on how much you like driving and where in sa your job is located.
The job would be on the western side of the city, so it's at least somewhat in the right direction of the Hill Country...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Having moved to SA twice from overseas (Europe), there will be a bit of a shock when it comes to the weather; but in some ways San Antonio reminds us of Europe in that there is a lot of culture and history here.

We live up near Helotes, and like it because I have less than a half-hour commute to work; but we are close enough to be in the Hill Country within a matter of minutes. Actually, we could even be considered in the Hill Country but just at the very edge.

The Hill Country is beautiful and was one of the things I missed most when we were away. I was just out in the Jeep on Sunday north of Boerne taking a small backroad to Sisterdale.

Unfortunately, a lot of the Hill Country is private land and fenced off; but there are several outstanding state parks such as Government Canyon in NW SA that allow you to enjoy its beauty. Also, just driving through it, and visiting the small towns that dot its landscape, is a very enjoyable pasttime.

We consider the Hill Country and San Antonio to be the jewels of Texas. It is a wonderful place to live as evident by the millions that visit and thousands that move here every year!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Gruene is a very charming little town. I hope it retains its culture and charm and doesn't get swallowed up

Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
Not sure where in the Hill Country you'd get a definite -10 degree difference from the city of S.A. I live in NE Medina Co. and it's in the Hill Country, but not THAT much different overall...it varies from the same as S.A. to about 5 degrees cooler where I am. Unfortunately, we don't get 5 degrees cooler often enough in the summer...that's a bit rare. I wish it wasn't! But I know that the town of Kerrville gets pretty darn cold in winter so maybe they're quite a bit cooler in the summer.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 PM

197 posts, read 605,102 times
When I drive home from San Antonio, I feel a difference in temp, both in summer and in winter. I'm not sure how much, but I can feel a difference. I'm sitting outside right now and if feels nice with a cool breeze. I was in town earlier and it felt warmer and muggy there. I would say it's cooler where I live. I'm at 1200 feet above sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio