Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM

73 posts, read 152,214 times

Advertisements

I installed AtticFoil last year. Our electric bill is much lower this summer, but then again, it is not as hot as last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Screens--Do they really work?-image008.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,805,454 times
I should add - in hindsight I would've rather gone with solar screens I think. The tint made the light in the room slightly more blue in hue.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,134,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
A good rule of thumb is, if you take off a faceplate and there's dust back there you have air going in or out from that point.
Juice advice; new homeowner here thanks you!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,852,117 times
Only problem w/the spray foam is if you ever want to remove them - it can stick to the drywall/paint, and peel it off when you go to remove!

Buy a roll of the foam gasket material (like you'd use for a door, etc) w/a sticky side. Peel paper, run it around the outer back edge of the receptacle cover, and you have the insulation AND removability at a pretty cheap price!

Sometimes you save $$$ today....and spend it tomorrow!<don't ask!>(G) Also - you're better off w/the spray-on attic barrier than the nail-up kind, because you want to minimize any airspace you can between the roof and the barrier, from what I've been given to understand. When we built our place, we had the radiant barrier decking installed. We maintain 74 degrees in the summer, and the highest bill has been $230 on a 2400 sq ft home w/2 fridges and 2 freezers.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,422,752 times
Hubby had two concerns with plugging up all the holes in the attic with foam: moisture and heat buildup. He said he thought there was supposed to be some holes in order for the vents to work properly, that the vents should act to draw hot air from the attic space, but that any openings in the attic serve to bring in cooler air as the turbine is working to suck out the hot. I don't know if that's right or not but it makes sense to me, the moisture part more than anything.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,805,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Hubby had two concerns with plugging up all the holes in the attic with foam: moisture and heat buildup. He said he thought there was supposed to be some holes in order for the vents to work properly, that the vents should act to draw hot air from the attic space, but that any openings in the attic serve to bring in cooler air as the turbine is working to suck out the hot. I don't know if that's right or not but it makes sense to me, the moisture part more than anything.
That's why you only plug up the holes in the attic where cool air from the house is coming in. Soffit ventilation will provide the air intake to the attic. You don't want air from the house coming in to the attic because in wintertime you will get the humidity problems that he mentioned.

I had poor luck with turbines in this house and two others I've been in. Not much in terms of results. Ridge venting has worked much better - especially combined with the radiant barrier. The air seems to flow from the soffit vents, through the space between the barrier and the decking, and out through the ridge vent.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,844,635 times
Can anyone suggest a Solar Screen Company? We need to have them put on our new home. The company that installed them on our home in Westcreek is no longer in business...which sucks since they were great.
We did have a guy come out today...Bella something or another and it was one of those specials that you take today or it'll be gone. I sure wish Folks weren't that way. It's just like a Pergola /Arbor Company that was out a couple of weeks ago......"The price is good for today and today only (were we dealing with a Car Salesman?) and we need 1/2 down". Sorry Fella....I don't care how many Pergolas / Arbors you have built or where you built them. We don't do business like that.
Anyway if you can suggest someone I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,955,540 times
Any questions you might have about energy savings can be resolved by going to building science .com
Building Science Information

They have seminars all across the USA every year and are incredibly interesting. In the Texas heat, the best and most efficient attic system to eliminate the heat is one that has zero ventilation and totally sealed up. Doesn't sound right I know, but they have proved it many times right here in San Antonio. They obviously used a radiant barrier which eliminates the NEED for added insulation. Adding vents only allows the heat that is generated to escape but the root cause of the heat is still there- radiant heat. We tested a well ventilated attic with a temp laser probe and the insulation was hotter than the ambient air because of the radiant heat. They then sprayed the attic with a radiant barrier paint and the temps of the insulation dropped 35F. Interesting website that you might want to review.

At one time Sherwin Williams on Perrin Beitel had a ceramic crystal paint that was a DIY paint project. I'm not sure they still carry it but if not, search for ceramic crystal paints on the net. They work far better than you might think. I've been in attics where is was sprayed on and while the temp outside was 100F+, the attic was in low 90's.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,844,635 times
We selected SOL X to install our new screens. They'll use SUNTEX 90% heat blockage Dark Brown with Tan Frames.

www.solxscreens.com

I find it pretty odd that I don't see any on homes out here in Kallison Ranch with the screens. I've offered to let them put up a sign in our Front Yard to drum up more business out this way.

Last edited by wellguy; 05-09-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 09:37 PM

95 posts, read 206,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Any questions you might have about energy savings can be resolved by going to building science .com
Building Science Information

They have seminars all across the USA every year and are incredibly interesting. In the Texas heat, the best and most efficient attic system to eliminate the heat is one that has zero ventilation and totally sealed up. Doesn't sound right I know, but they have proved it many times right here in San Antonio. They obviously used a radiant barrier which eliminates the NEED for added insulation. Adding vents only allows the heat that is generated to escape but the root cause of the heat is still there- radiant heat. We tested a well ventilated attic with a temp laser probe and the insulation was hotter than the ambient air because of the radiant heat. They then sprayed the attic with a radiant barrier paint and the temps of the insulation dropped 35F. Interesting website that you might want to review.

At one time Sherwin Williams on Perrin Beitel had a ceramic crystal paint that was a DIY paint project. I'm not sure they still carry it but if not, search for ceramic crystal paints on the net. They work far better than you might think. I've been in attics where is was sprayed on and while the temp outside was 100F+, the attic was in low 90's.

Having a sealed up attic in Texas is a horrible idea. Most people get stuck on the idea that you can retro an existing attic with foam and completely neglect the moisture buildup and proper air exchanges the home needs.

Aside from that adding radiant barrier, insulation, and proper ventilation is a great idea when speaking about an existing home. I disagree with going to Sherwin Williams though and buying the paint yourself. The reflectivity of the paint is lower then commercial grade products let alone the install difficulty and equipment needed.

Solar screens and film are a good idea but with proper window coverings you can do the same. Sealing up air infiltrations in the walls and attic will do far more to reduce the heat and increase the comfort though. Lastly do not neglect sealing the duct work because its leaking guaranteed even if you got it installed yesterday. If you dont see grey mastic all over it you need to have it sealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio