Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 AM

410 posts, read 923,297 times

Advertisements

The weekend is coming up. I've mowed the lawn last week and the week before because it has been sprouting fast. I don't mow it very short as I've read this is bad. But is it bad to mow it weekly? I like to maintain it "showroom" ready...lol. I don't want neighbors to think I'm crazy for bringing out the mower yet again tommorow. I'm actually looking forward to it; bringing out the mower, weedeater, rotary edger etc. As long as I've my ipod, I can spend a couple of hours out there no problem. I love the satisfaction of a job well done. Looking forward to hearing from other weekend warriors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Don't use time to dictate when you mow your yard, do it when it looks like it needs cutting!

I tend to mow once a week, but if it's hot and we don't get any rain, then that may allow me to go two or more weeks. Also, during the winter when the grass goes dormant, it may be weeks between mowings.

If we get a lot of rain, I may mow it every five days.

The two conditions I prefer to have when I mow my yard are a windy day (it's not only cooler, but it also blows the dust and grass away) and rain predicted within a day or so after I mow (free watering).

And nuts to your neighbors, mow whenever you want as long as it's not too early in the morning!

Lastly, if you enjoy lawn work that much, feel free to come over to my house and do my yard!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
We have ours mowed every two weeks. If you have St. Augustine, you only really want to cut it weekly if we get a lot of rain. And by a lot of rain I don't mean anything like what we have received here in SA. I'm talking more sub-tropical.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Lastly, if you enjoy lawn work that much, feel free to come over to my house and do my yard!
Amen to that.

I absolutely love doing handyman type things around the house but I truly despise cutting the grass. As a kid growing up in FL I used to laugh at the old folks with the gravel yards (zero scape?). Gaudy as it may be anymore I'd kill for that.

To answer the OP, I usually have to cut it once a week.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Amen to that.

I absolutely love doing handyman type things around the house but I truly despise cutting the grass. As a kid growing up in FL I used to laugh at the old folks with the gravel yards (zero scape?). Gaudy as it may be anymore I'd kill for that.

To answer the OP, I usually have to cut it once a week.

Ha!! I know! My grandparents lived in Naples and Ft. Myers, and they had mostly rock and gravel and decorative plants, but it looked great against the tall Royal Palms. There was some grass, but limited. A lot of it had to do with being 4 blocks from the beach. Lots of sand!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times
If we are getting normal rainfall during the spring/summer/fall months I try to mow my front yard on Wednesday evening and the back yard on Thursday evening. When I come home on Friday I can relax in the freshly cut back yard and enjoy the yard since the yard work has been done.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
I do mine weekly....otherwise my loving spouse threatens me!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM

245 posts, read 695,990 times
So you love to mow your lawn? Last October I threw some annual rye grass seed down, and I was constantly mowing my lawn in the cold! That stuff grew like crazy, but it was nice to have a green lawn all throughout the winter. It died when the dormant lawn came back (when temperatures hit the low 90's). Helped keep out weeds as well. I'm going to do it again this year, and put it in my front yard as well, so my neighbors will think I'm crazy for mowing my lawn in the dead of winter (but none of them will have a green lawn like mine!!!)

Currently I mow it about once a week. Love all the rain this year, I've hardly had to water it. I also like cutting grass when it's hot, but you gotta try cutting in winter!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 AM

354 posts, read 711,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
So you love to mow your lawn? Last October I threw some annual rye grass seed down, and I was constantly mowing my lawn in the cold! That stuff grew like crazy, but it was nice to have a green lawn all throughout the winter. It died when the dormant lawn came back (when temperatures hit the low 90's). Helped keep out weeds as well. I'm going to do it again this year, and put it in my front yard as well, so my neighbors will think I'm crazy for mowing my lawn in the dead of winter (but none of them will have a green lawn like mine!!!)

Currently I mow it about once a week. Love all the rain this year, I've hardly had to water it. I also like cutting grass when it's hot, but you gotta try cutting in winter!
Well, let's be real here--the 'dead of winter' here in San Antonio is not what people really think of when they think winter, is it? Keep in mind, i am originally from the Northeast, and I KNOW what winter feels like.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times
When people from SA think of winter they think of what winter means to them. Not what winter means to somebody from the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio