Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 PM

117 posts, read 343,514 times

Advertisements

Look at sittercity.com. Sittercity shows babysitters by location you may be able to find one who is willing to work 1 hour for like 15 or 20 bucks a day if they live close by. You may even be able to find another parent who needs a similar service to split the cost. You may even want to call the career center at the closest university and post a job there. I worked as an after school care provider when I was in college, I found the job at the career center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM

151 posts, read 299,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
the problem of perverts will not go away when in high school or even college unfortunately. There is always someone sick enough and strong enough to do something God Forbid. Most bus stops have a slew of kids to help with that safety.
If that is not an option, aside from a neighbor then it may mean a job change.

As far as why don't the middle schools offer child care.......I've said this before. Childcare is not the schools job. Educating is. Schools have drastically cut funding as it is. Where would they get the money for this? I don't mean to offend but I hear this often but I can't help but wonder when that became the job of the school system?
Maybe not but it sure did come in handy when I needed it and we paid a pretty penny for it too. I'm sure Judson isn't the only district with an before/after school program for elementary aged children that is funded by the parents.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Hmmmm, I guess if you don't feel comfortable letting your kid do it on their own or know of anyone who can take them to school then you should quit your job or find one more accommodating.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,786 times
she is not looking for elementary care. she stated her child is in middle school. There may be a few, but most schools overall do not offer it for that age.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM

354 posts, read 712,068 times
Quote:
she is not looking for elementary care. she stated her child is in middle school. There may be a few, but most schools overall do not offer it for that age.
Right...the reason being that a child of between the ages of 12 and 14 is more self-sufficient (presumptively) than say, a five year old who may need that kind of hand-holding. I feel for the OP's situation if she truly feels she needs to drop her middle schooler off or risk god-knows-what, but I remember when I was in middle school most kids took care of walking/getting themselves to school on the schoolbus, and were getting to an age where they were getting a tad embarassed to be seen with mom/dad.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:11 PM

151 posts, read 299,460 times
Quote:

I realize that and was responding to the post I quoted.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 PM

204 posts, read 940,579 times
Just give your kid a house key and tell them to lock up on their way out to the bus stop.

I can't believe someone would actually quit their job over this.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
That's her choice, quit her job over this. Thousands of applicants for each and every job opening in this economy, you know.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
I missed the kids' age when the OP first asked...middle school...13-14 years of age, right? Ma'm, with all due respect - by THAT age, I was operating a tractor, hunting on my own, and running trap lines! Good gosh - do your kids a favor and cut those apron strings - they'll do just fine!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
At age 13 I was babysitting the neighbors' new baby, delivering the newspapers, and even began my own little art gallery and sold them at art shows. Oh, and I got myself up every morning and walked to the bus stop too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio