Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM

410 posts, read 923,218 times

Advertisements

Raising my hand for Ikea......I'll take another retail alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Another Costco? There is already one at I-10 and UTSA Boulevard.
Talking 1604 and Potranco area....so WAY south of the UTSA store. It would be a GREAT thing given the growth in the Alamo Ranch area!
This location would STILL have more drive time between UTSA store and the new location vs the UTSA and 281 or 281 to Shertz area...so it is GOOD!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm sorry....but no delivery, high-priced cheap cruddy stuff....I already have a WalMart for that!
I kinda disagree with you. I mean some of the stuff there is cheap but that is pretty much anywhere these days.

They do have great kitchen cabinets and cabinet tops. If I needed to remodel my kitchen, they would be my first stop to look.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM

231 posts, read 813,832 times
Out of the 10 largest cities/metros in the country San Antonio is the only city/metro not to have an Ikea. Why is this so?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM

413 posts, read 741,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
Out of the 10 largest cities/metros in the country San Antonio is the only city/metro not to have an Ikea. Why is this so?
Because despite what everyone tells you, San Antonio is not the 7th largest city in the USA. In reality, it's around #50 if other cities were to measure metropolitan area the way San Antonio does. For example, Atlanta is 40th with a population of 430,000. If you count the metro area, it is over 4 million, easily double San Antonio's metro population.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Because despite what everyone tells you, San Antonio is not the 7th largest city in the USA. In reality, it's around #50 if other cities were to measure metropolitan area the way San Antonio does. For example, Atlanta is 40th with a population of 430,000. If you count the metro area, it is over 4 million, easily double San Antonio's metro population.
24th largest metro actually.

List of United States metropolitan statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on the growth it will crack the top twenty in about 10-15 years.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 AM

258 posts, read 323,726 times
I don't think city proper population is going to be a factor...You got to look at the buying power of the MSA. If you built an IKEA people will drive in from nearby towns and valley!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
I don't think we're quite there yet to support one, but i'd like it to be here.
Quality....hit and miss. Some things are great, others not so much. But compared to the selections we have currently, it'd be a big help.

Not everyone can afford Haverty's, Star Furniture, etc. Especially the growing college students.

Ikea provides a semi-modern alternative to the usual findings at Ashley furniture or Rooms to Go. To find such modern furniture you'd have to look at West Elm or Copenhagen, but those stores were quite pricey. Plus, you can actually leave with your furniture (in most cases) versus going through the delivery nightmares of some of our in town furniture stores.

With all of the trendy lofts/flats being built in and around downtown, those are the places that would more than likely be buying Ikea furniture.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Since it's at the self-proclaimed epicenter of "shoppertainment" in San Antonio, one of the future phases of The Rim is the most logical location for IKEA. Unfortunately, the owners of The Rim have been having major financial difficulties that are likely impeding expansion. They've been making bad news headlines for the last 3 years. (See below.) I don't imagine IKEA is terribly eager to jump into the middle of that mess.

Last week: 3 Rim entities owe Bexar almost $5M - San Antonio Express-News

2011: Rim companies exit bankruptcy - San Antonio Express-News

2010: Rim companies fail to pay again - San Antonio Express-News

2009: Developer of The Rim facing debt-restructuring challenge - San Antonio Business Journal

Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM

258 posts, read 323,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
I don't think we're quite there yet to support one, but i'd like it to be here.
Quality....hit and miss. Some things are great, others not so much. But compared to the selections we have currently, it'd be a big help.

Not everyone can afford Haverty's, Star Furniture, etc. Especially the growing college students.

Ikea provides a semi-modern alternative to the usual findings at Ashley furniture or Rooms to Go. To find such modern furniture you'd have to look at West Elm or Copenhagen, but those stores were quite pricey. Plus, you can actually leave with your furniture (in most cases) versus going through the delivery nightmares of some of our in town furniture stores.

With all of the trendy lofts/flats being built in and around downtown, those are the places that would more than likely be buying Ikea furniture.

I can't agree with you on that...San Antonio SHOULD be able to support one. I personally think SA should have been first before Austin. The demographics would support one here locally. Think of all the Mexican nationals and the people here in our MSA and valley markets that would support the store.

If any thing...IKEA should have built one further south on the 35 corridor like near San Marcos or New Bruanfels area. Between the SA & Austin markets would have given them a better bang for their buck. I LOVE IKEA and shop them when I can BUT HATE driving THROUGH Austin to get there!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: merged 2 consecutive posts by same OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio