Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times

Advertisements

Have you had weight loss success thanks to a business/doctor/trainer etc. in San Antonio? Will you share what you are doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
No business/doctor/trainer necessary, just do cardio work for 30 minutes a day and watch your calorie intake.

That simple recipe has been working great for me, I run for a half hour every weekday afternoon and only eat a salad with lite or fat-free dressing for dinner.

I take weekends "off" since my target is not that far off (I want to drop another 10-11 pounds), then I need to pick up working on my upper body strength...

And if you haven't exercised for a while, then definitely ease back into it. Walking 30 minutes at speeds between 3-4 MPH for a few weeks will slowly but surely awaken those sleeping muscles. Gradually build up speed and distance, don't push it too hard even if it seems easy at points. Enjoy these "lax" periods and advance when you are sure you can handle the extra speed/distance.

My wife had good success with the Body for Life program, it regulates what you eat more (several smaller meals during the day, instead of 2-3 large ones); but you have to stick to it.

Steer clear of Nutrisystem as everyone I know who has tried it did lose a lot of weight, but gained it all back again once they quit eating their meals...

Cheers! M2

Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
For me works a simple formula:
my regular daily activity ( get up, go to work, go home, do little stuff at home or go shopping, go on the Internet, read a bit, go to bed) burns about 1600 cal.
When I eat 1600 calories a day - I stay constant with my weight; more than that = I gain weight; less than that = I will lose weight. If (!!) I do any exercises - I subtract the amount of calories from the formula.
3,500 calories = ~1 pound (lost or gained)
http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

Last edited by elnina; 08-18-2010 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: chart added

Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
It's a super cheesy name, but, I liked it and saw a difference within the month I started. I stopped due to the cost (it is pricey) but the trainer is a cool guy and after a few weeks the classes aren't nearly as hard as they were to start out with:

San Antonio Boot Camp – San Antonio Personal Trainer

As far as diet, I've switched from processed foods to mostly organic/natural foods and have watched my calorie intake. I think it helps. It's only been a few months and maybe 3-4 pounds, but slow and steady wins the race.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Here's my only diet,
and seriously, it'll make you lose weight like you won't believe it.

<--- that should have been a soccer ball

Last edited by Dopo; 08-18-2010 at 11:18 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM

95 posts, read 232,291 times
i'm doing the weight watchers online program. i also have a monthly membership to planet fitness.

i just count my points throughout the day, and go to the gym to either walk/elliptical for 45min-1hr at least 3 times a week.

i've lost 10 pounds in about 4 weeks.

oh and i drink tons of water!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ this sounds like a success story! Keep going, Girl

Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I do nothing except run after two kids under the age of 5. I figure I gotta be burning calories, right? Could someone tell my butt that bit of vital information?

I'm afraid the word "diet" doesn't work for me. I have cut WAYYYY down on the drive-through crap and the sugar.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Sugar is my Achilles’ heel as well, I simply love sweet tea and have yet to find any other natural sweetener that comes close to sugar. I tried honey to no avail, and such artificial replacements such as Splenda I just won’t use. Stevia looks promising but it’s three times the price of sugar.

If I could find a suitable replacement for sugar I would probably drop weight like a hot rock; but in the mean time there has to be a balance between exercise, diet and enjoying life!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Have you had weight loss success thanks to a business/doctor/trainer etc. in San Antonio? Will you share what you are doing?
Your weight loss success will never be dependant on a business/doctor/trainer. It will ALWAYS be up to YOU and only YOU.

Do 20-30 minutes cardio 5-7 times a week. No exceptions
Do a 30 minute strength training 3 times a week.
- Throw out your junk food, candy, snacks.
- Stop walking around with Bill Miller mug and throw that away
- Stop eating breakfast tacos
- Eat a reasonable diet and stop eatting to the point of being painfully stuffed. (you dont need to order the foot long at Subway, you can order the kiddie burger instead of a double whataburger - get the idea)

Do all of that consistantly and you will see results. If you cant commit to the above, then you dont really want to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio